Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2022 Micro Minnie 2108DS slideout broken UPDATE

Just fired off this email to Customer Support after my phone calls to Winnebago and Camperland of Conroe, TX. We shall see what response I get.

Hi Andrea. Philip White again. We have a problem. Just visited with the Camperland Service Manager and he said parts have been ordered for the slide out but it could be two months!! Really? That means my unit broke on September 1 and I will not have it back to use until at least January after the 12 month warranty runs out. That's four months of payments, storage and insurance where I didn't get to use it.

How would that make you feel if you were a retired teacher and veteran on a fixed income?

This is not acceptable and I demand some sort of compensation.

I wonder if there are enough unhappy customers with the same slide out problems for a class action lawsuit?

Sincerely,

Philip White xxx-xxx-xxxx
2022 Winnebago 2108DS #59190
jaywhite674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Philip,
So sorry to hear about your slide out malfunction, but welcome to the forum in any case.
We all understand your frustration and anger about this factory mishap. Most every purchaser of a new RV suffers problems resulting from poor build, or component failure. Happens to be a fact of life in the RV business. If you push the manufacturer with threats of legal action, IMO, you can expect them to push back, and be less cooperative. I’ve never really heard of buyers being compensated by the manufacturer for loss of use, or cost of ownership. Of course, only an attorney can advise you on this matter. Many new buyers choose remedial courses of action that are focused on getting back on the road enjoying RVing. And for many, that means, fixing it yourself. Yah, that really s*cks. But when the alternative is waiting for warranty service, or enjoying your RV, many choose swallow their anger and pick up a wrench. Don’t know the extent of your slide-out failure, but many, if not most slide out problems can be fixed with a coup,e of hours of owner labor. If you choose this route, go watch the Lippert video on how to adjust/repair/maintain Lippert slides. You’d be surprised at, how sometimes, fixing it yourself, requires a lot less time, effort, and heartburn than pushing a warranty claim uphill. I’d also advise, kindly, that you may want to lower your expectations of RV build quality and reliability. You can’t expect a new RV be like a new car. In my 40+ years of RVing, it’s always been that way. Of course, you should pursue your legitimate warranty claim, but if you want to get out there and enjoy your new Micro Minnie, the shortest route to that goal may be through your toolbox.
Happy Camping, we know you’re PO’d.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your wise words. If I could buy the broken gears, straighten the H frame and had the hands of elves, I would attempt to fix it myself. I only turn to Winnebago to do the right thing when I can't fix it. What is a warranty for if it's useless. It's a selling tool, to make you feel good about your "want" purchase. I love my Minnie and have stayed in it many a night but when there are hundreds, if not thousands of Minnie owners who have suffered the same mechanical failure, something is wrong. There is a TSB on this exact problem which means that Lippert and Winnebago knew but rolled the dice of getting these units out while RV sales were red hot. All I'm asking for is for Winnebago/Lippert to do the right thing, not just for me but for all those who put their heart and soul into the RV experience, only to have disappointment and loss of use.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Slide out failures 2108DS

Slide out failed twice in two years. First time, slide pulled itself off the trailer wall and had to drive from Texas to Indiana with slide duct taped to trailer. Lippert fixed it at Goshen for free. Long drive. They blamed the failure on improper installation by Winnebago. Second failure came in Montana. Lived in half trailer for three weeks and drove home with failed slide taped again. This time Lippert stopped talking to me so I took the trailer to a local rv service business. They diagnosed a burned out motor on one side. New motor was $1200, plus installation. It is working today, but will it still be working after I pull it to Florida in January?

Furthermore, there is the overall very poor build of this trailer. Oven door fell off, bad circuit breaker that was discontinued in the late 70s caused dealer to blame improper installation of solar system I installed. Interior trim pieces fell off in transit. Cabinet under sink destroyed in transit. Sewer cable valve froze up on first outing. Still, I like the floor plan of the 2108DS and it's decent appearance. The prospect of trading for a new unit is out of question. Going through these trials and tribulations again is unacceptable. This will probably be my last camper.

If there were to be a class action over the loss of use and costs of repairs, I would certainly be on board.
woodsyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Update to broken slide mechanism

Parts have been ordered for a week. Tech said that with the high demand, I might get my Micro Minnie back in late december or early january. That would mean I lost use of it for 4 months.

Anyone think an extended warranty would have helped expedite repairs?

Can anyone recommend one?
Old 12-06-2022, 08:15 PM   #6
Lauri & Joe

Ours broke last week

We had a previous trailer (not a Winnebago) with a schwinteck slide system and never had a problem in 3 years. bought our 2108ds two months ago, carefully level every night, avoid heavy items in the slide and yet…stripped gear on lower front slide corner. My dealership’s repair shop is telling me that I can’t get into have it fixed until late January.

Although someone suggested fixing ourselves, that voids the warranty and I’m not willing to do that on a 2 month old rig.

Really frustrating. We cut a 3 week trip to 10 days because of the slide breakage. It was a 2700 mile return trip in a trailer I couldn’t easily get to the bathroom in. And sure, you can manually move the slide in and out but I watched my husband and the mobile tech push the slide back in and it took significant effort from two strong men, so…not sure I’d risk manually moving it out and we didn’t.
ZottHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Broken slideout

We had a 22’ Lance trailer with a Schwintek slideout. Due to a water leak that three different dealers tried to fix but didn’t, a damaged floor led to the wall bowing outward at the bottom front corner of the slide preventing the slide from working. Lance towed the trailer back to the factory for a four month long repair. The slide never worked smoothly after that but did work until we sold the trailer three months ago. Two months ago we bought a 2022 Micro Minnie 2108TB.
One thing we do is spray silicone lube on each side of the slider about every third time used. We start at the top and zig zag across the surface. We keep spray off of the tracks. This reduces seal wiping friction and load on the motors. Also, we never actuate the slide unless the trailer is quite level.
Our Micro Minnie slide works much smoother than the Lance ever did.
We have some quality issues with our new MM, but overall it is much better than our Lance was.
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhite674 View Post
Thanks for your wise words. If I could buy the broken gears, straighten the H frame and had the hands of elves, I would attempt to fix it myself. I only turn to Winnebago to do the right thing when I can't fix it. What is a warranty for if it's useless. It's a selling tool, to make you feel good about your "want" purchase. I love my Minnie and have stayed in it many a night but when there are hundreds, if not thousands of Minnie owners who have suffered the same mechanical failure, something is wrong. There is a TSB on this exact problem which means that Lippert and Winnebago knew but rolled the dice of getting these units out while RV sales were red hot. All I'm asking for is for Winnebago/Lippert to do the right thing, not just for me but for all those who put their heart and soul into the RV experience, only to have disappointment and loss of use.
I have the same issue with the same model and it also is under warranty. We had ours at a Winnebago dealer for three months for slide repair, when they called and said they didn't have the man power to fix it, and that I should stop and pick it up. I found a repair shop that was interested until they ask about the type of slide. When I told him it was a Winnebago Micro Mini TT, he asked was it a new one. Yes it is. He then ask who manufactured the slide, I told him Lipperd. He proceeded to tell me that he was not interested. That the newer Schwintek system, required such a tight tolerance that he felt that they would never get it correct. He also stated that once the slide becomes an issue it usually was, on going unless the factory repaired it.
Maybe a class action law suite filed in Indiana might get us some attention?
Blevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:20 PM   #9
Lauri & Joe

Just had a chat with my RV dealership’s service department on how they work. Even though I have a mobile tech’s diagnosis that the schwintech slide gear is stripped in my 2 month old trailer the process is:
1. Bring the trailer in to service on appt date 8 weeks from call for service.
2. Service dept confirms problem,
3. Warranty claim is made to Winnebago which takes an unknown amount of time but could be a month or so.
4. Warranty work approved, so parts ordered. Parts have taken up to 4 months to arrive.
5. Install parts.

So I could be without my now 2 month old trailer for 3 to 7 months. Yeah, I’m definitely in for a class action lawsuit. My dealer has several other locations so I’m now checking to see if any of them can get me in sooner.

Also, if you have a insurance company-approved technician’s diagnosis of problem why can’t the warranty claim be submitted NOW rather than 2 months from now along with a parts order? Why is the RV industry so broken?

I REALLY regret buying a trailer at this point.
ZottHart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout