Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry 2020 Spyder 28KS DVD Problem

I purchased a 2020 Winnebago Spyder 28KS last year and the DVD function has never worked, even though the sales brochure states the unit has an upgraded AV system that includes a DVD. I have spent several months and 4 service trips to the dealer to install replacement AV control heads to try to have the issue fixed. They have finally told me that the AV system in our trailer is an automotive unit and not designed to show DVDs on a TV. The dealer also stated that the manufacturer stated that there were only 100 Spyders with this particular AV control head sold and I was the only complaint about the DVD not working. My question, are there any other 2020 Spyder 28KS owners with the AV control head mounted next to the entry door that are not able to view DVDs on their TV. (This is only 1 of 19 issues requiring repair that I have had to deal with in the last 5 months.)
revance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

This may be irrelevant but if you have a “green” wire coming off the back of the unit, possibly a different color. It’s used to not allow you to use dvd function while the vehicle is in motion. Connect the wire to ground and simply place a male female connector or a switch in between to simulate the grounding of the e brake. I did this in my unit in my pickup. Hope this helps.
GearJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Can you determine the model number of the device? I was able to figure it out on my trailer.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is a time when I make a call to the experts and in this case, Winnebago has a rep of giving good response. I would expect them to lead me to the solution. Also while on the line, I would make a definite point of letting them know about the service you have been getting. Not needed to be rude but also just to let them know?
Good point to have the serial number of your RV on hand as it can make a difference on some things. It is too new to find much info online as it seems to not be posted.
Link to customer service:
https://www.winnebago.com/contact-us
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
This is a time when I make a call to the experts and in this case, Winnebago has a rep of giving good response. I would expect them to lead me to the solution. Also while on the line, I would make a definite point of letting them know about the service you have been getting. Not needed to be rude but also just to let them know?
Good point to have the serial number of your RV on hand as it can make a difference on some things. It is too new to find much info online as it seems to not be posted.
Link to customer service:
https://www.winnebago.com/contact-us
The dealer has been in contact with Winnebago and they and the techs and engineers could not figure out how to get this unit to work. The dealer has decided to install a separate DVD player, which will enable us to watch DVDs on the TV but it will not tie in to the trailer speaker system, it will only use the TV audio. I guess the is the best solution for now.
The point of my original post was not so much to find a fix, but to see if there were other owners that had the same problem of not getting what they paid for. I can't believe what Winnebago told our dealer, that we are the only owners experiencing this problem.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammer View Post
This may be irrelevant but if you have a “green” wire coming off the back of the unit, possibly a different color. It’s used to not allow you to use dvd function while the vehicle is in motion. Connect the wire to ground and simply place a male female connector or a switch in between to simulate the grounding of the e brake. I did this in my unit in my pickup. Hope this helps.
Thanks, but at this time, the dealer has decided to install a separate DVD player, as they and the manufacturer's techs and engineers could not figure out a "work-around" for the factory unit.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Can you determine the model number of the device? I was able to figure it out on my trailer.
The dealer service techs along with the techs and engineers at Winnebago could not figure out how to get it to work. The dealer's solution is to install a separate DVD player.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Wow! That does sound like a sad situation if the folks who built it can't get it to work????
Anybody still asking why we can't sell cars in Japan?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Wow! That does sound like a sad situation if the folks who built it can't get it to work????
Anybody still asking why we can't sell cars in Japan?
Apparently some engineer at Winnebago spec'd out this automotive control head not knowing that it would not work to send video to a TV in this setting. The dealer has installed a separate DVD player and will submit it as warranty work and fight with Winnebago to get re-imbursed for it.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by revance View Post
Thanks, but at this time, the dealer has decided to install a separate DVD player, as they and the manufacturer's techs and engineers could not figure out a "work-around" for the factory unit.
When I picked up our trailer the service advisor stated that they had tried the e-brake work around and that did not work.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

On our 2018 Vista 32YE, the AV compartment is also over the door. I found the HDMI cables mislabeled (satellite and DVD). swapping the cables (using the “Satellite” one on the DVD player) fixed our problem. Good luck and I hope you fix yours....
Hoosierdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdave View Post
On our 2018 Vista 32YE, the AV compartment is also over the door. I found the HDMI cables mislabeled (satellite and DVD). swapping the cables (using the “Satellite” one on the DVD player) fixed our problem. Good luck and I hope you fix yours....
Thanks, but there is not that option with this unit. The service techs, along with the tech and engineers at Winnebago, tried every plug available on the back of the AV head and nothing worked. Ended up installing a separate after-market DVD player, which will not play over the AV system speakers.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

That doesnt sound right, and we are looking at the same model to upgrade too. If it has a DVD setting it should work. I would take it to an auto stereo shop and have them look at it. I have figured out the dealers mostly sell, not much else.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09busaman View Post
That doesnt sound right, and we are looking at the same model to upgrade too. If it has a DVD setting it should work. I would take it to an auto stereo shop and have them look at it. I have figured out the dealers mostly sell, not much else.
The engineers at Winnebago told my service advisor at the dealer that there were only 100 of this model that had the AV system similar to ours installed. They all could not get it to work and the dealer finally installed an aftermarket DVD player at no cost to me. If you are looking at this model Winnebago, or any model for that matter, make sure EVERYTHING works before you leave the dealer. This DVD problem is only one of 19 other issues that I have had to fix myself or take back to the dealer under warranty. Two of the more serious issues were, the cabinet that the TV mounts to started coming loose from the wall (the cabinet was not attached to the wall and ceiling properly from the factory, and the sliding door between the bedroom and the bathroom pulled the rail out of the attachment "box" due to too short screws used for attachment. After I fixed that by re-installing the rail with bolts, the attachment "box" itself pulled loose from the furring strip attached to the wall. It was only attached with wire nails shot in from the top. I re-attached with longer wood screws. Again, check it out thoroughly before you drive away.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

this would be unacceptable to me. I would've told them to upgrade the head unit. I want my movies through the house speakers!
TroutBum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum1971 View Post
this would be unacceptable to me. I would've told them to upgrade the head unit. I want my movies through the house speakers!
After 4 months of dealing with them and multiple round trips to the dealer (380 miles), and them telling me there was nothing else they could do, I gave up and accepted the aftermarket unit. I even threatened legal action and when I said that the service advisor told me that if I wanted to go that route he would have to stop all work and have me go through their corporate attorneys. I took that as meaning it would be a long drawn out legal battle. I am still considering contacting an attorney. I was hoping this thread would put me in touch with other who had the same problem and maybe start a class action suit.