Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
KWP
KP

2020 MM with Extreme Winter package?

I have a 2020 MM with Extreme Winter package and heat insulated tanks. I am looking for information regarding traveling across county in November. I’m guessing it’s 6 nights (I’m alone and can’t drive much longer?) Planning on pulling into either a KOA with hookups, campground boon docking or pulling off side of road - WallMart. Any suggestions on keeping my pipes from freezing?
KWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Don't think it would be a worry for you in an 'Extreme Winter Package' RV. My regular '94 Bounder did just fine traveling in below freezing weather and it only had the old timey Alaska Package which really wasn't much of anything other than dual pane windows.

Most all modern bus style RVs have a bit of leakage from the furnace into the wet bay to help keep the tanks warm. If you travel with mostly empty grey and black tanks (you can use them while traveling, just don't start the trip with mostly full) and 1/2 to 3/4 full water tank as water has a high thermal threshold and large amounts will stay liquid for several days even in 20 F temps all day and even when it gets cooler at night. Especially in a RV basement compartment with insulation around and the furnace leakage to it like most bus RVs.

Remember that inanimate objects are not affected by wind chill so if it's 45 F outside, and you're driving at 65 MPH, firstly the pipes and tanks in your RV won't be exposed and second, even if they were, they don't experience wind chill.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

First we need to have a better idea of what Rv you are speaking of as a trailer is certainly different than a motorhome as they often get cooler without us being in them while we travel.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWP View Post
I have a 2020 MM with Extreme Winter package and heat insulated tanks. I am looking for information regarding traveling across county in November. I’m guessing it’s 6 nights (I’m alone and can’t drive much longer?) Planning on pulling into either a KOA with hookups, campground boon docking or pulling off side of road - WallMart. Any suggestions on keeping my pipes from freezing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
First we need to have a better idea of what Rv you are speaking of as a trailer is certainly different than a motorhome as they often get cooler without us being in them while we travel.
AND- We need to know what part of the country you will be traveling through.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Aww, a MM, I read it as a MW. Stupid eyes.

Even then, I would think something that is labeled as with 'Extreme Winter Package' would be able to tolerate 20 F daytime and in the negatives at night.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWP View Post
We just bought a MM 2021. According to dealer, polar package is now standard. We are driving a southern route (va-Utah) in mid December. Wondering how your trip went in November.
PCskichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Your extreme weather package does not make it 4 season. The tanks are insulated and the furnace has outlets near the tanks to keep them from freezing too easily.

Still though, I’m not sure what I’d think about temps below 20f. You stil have single pane Windows and thin walls. You could maybe open the doors under the sinks to ensure air flows near the lines a bit better.
pmglidden is offline   Reply With Quote