Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2020 2405RG Minnie Roof-mount solar charger prep?

Have a 2020 2405RG Micro Minnie 5th wheel. It was never mentioned by dealer when bought it last year, but noticing on Winnebago's website specs there is a "Roof-mount solar charger prep" listed as standard equipment. At first I thought that'd be for 2021 models, but googling, I am seeing reference to that being on 2020 models.

Does anyone have this, know what to look for? I don't see any sticker, junction box or cover on roof. For anyone that knows, what is the setup? If it is nothing more than a Zamp connector buried under the TPO with runs of 12 AWG wire, that isn't going to be much use to me as I'm looking at running up to four 100W or 160W panels, so likely running 4-6 AWG from roof down to batteries/charge controller.
DaKevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Winnebago has lately excelled in listing features but not offering any details. Generally, the details are in your operators manual. OR you have to talk to a dealer (good luck) or call Winnebago Customer Service to find out. I checked the online Operator's Manual for 2020 Towables and not a word is mentioned about the solar prep.

On other towables I've seen in the past this meant that the wiring was pre-run inside the walls to a location near your batteries. Where you pick it up? I haven't a clue. On motorhomes they put a sticker on the roof where to pick up Satellite cable connections. Also, I don't know about towables but on motorhomes with solar they've run 10 ga wire.

We've seen other instances of "features" with zero documentation. I'm not sure why they think that's okay. I guess unless someone else chimes in you'll need to call Winnebago. Oh, and when you find out please post the details here. That will help others out in the future wondering the same thing.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for insights. Yes, a call to Cust Service is my next step but hoped I could get some real-world owner experiences. No stickers on RV that I can find indicating where run/outlet/drop is, nothing in manual.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKevster View Post
Thanks for insights. Yes, a call to Cust Service is my next step but hoped I could get some real-world owner experiences. No stickers on RV that I can find indicating where run/outlet/drop is, nothing in manual.
I hope that someone at WBGO will know the answer, it's possible someone does but whether or not you'll be able to locate that person is another question.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Not sure if this will help, but on our 2 week old 2020 2108ds had a solar power connection prep on roof that trailer came with so we had dealer put in panel. Only thing I do not like is dealer told me control panel for unit would be installed in trailer with the battery, slide out control etc panel but was actually put in forward cargo space, so you have to get on knees stick your head in there to see wtf is going on. It even has a usb outlet which is great but once again you have to get inside cargo area to use. Dealer said it was to keep wiring to minimum and drilling holes in trailer, makes sense but....... The one saving grace is that there is a pretty easy to use app for phone that gives you all info panel does except use of usb outlet. We did run battery down a quarter and in an afternoon the solar pannel recharged the battery which pleasantly surprised me.
Chiefdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefdeck View Post
Not sure if this will help, but on our 2 week old 2020 2108ds had a solar power connection prep on roof that trailer came with so we had dealer put in panel.
Thanks for the info. Did you see what the connector looked like on the roof? Was it a junction box, a Zamp SAE Connector? Something else?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKevster View Post
Thanks for the info. Did you see what the connector looked like on the roof? Was it a junction box, a Zamp SAE Connector? Something else?
No I did not
Chiefdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

the solar prep is a bad phrase. What the prep actually is, is an input for solar panel on the side of the rig. I will assume, not having been in one of these that there is a charge controller mounted somewhere. In my 2106 it is next to the microwave. That is the only solar prep that they have.
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have the exact same model. There is nothing on the roof for a connection for solar. there is a plug on the side beneath the landing gear controls for a solar plug.
I posted pics of the wiring behind the plug.
Attached Images

kitsonkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsonkt View Post
I have the exact same model. There is nothing on the roof for a connection for solar. there is a plug on the side beneath the landing gear controls for a solar plug.
I posted pics of the wiring behind the plug.
Yes, I have that side Zamp portable PV panel plug. I called Winnebago this week. Person I talked to said it was a mid-year 2020 model change that added pre-wire to the roof. My 2020 was actually built in early 2019. Person wasn't really sure what to look for, but said it was pretty obvious on the roof, and that if I had the side Zamp plug then I didn't have the roof wired. I might call again to see if I get a different person/answer, but at this point seems highly doubtful I have the roof pre-wire.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Yeah it’s pretty discouraging when what you expect and are told by the dealer are not true. Unfortunately my situation being what it is I’m not quite ready to do a lot of boondocking At least for awhile. I’ll cross this bridge down the road.
kitsonkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

We bought a 2020 2108DS Sunday and will pick it up this Friday. I saw solar pre-wire in the features list but couldn't find any usable information so I emailed Customer Service. I got a reply that doesn't add much to the discussion:
Quote:
For the solar prep, you should have a sticker in the front pass through compartment on the passenger side. This is the location that you can install a charge controller. If there is not one in this location, then it will either be a port on the driver side sidewall, or a roof mount. This will be wired directly to the battery.
So I'll ask the techs Friday or dig deeper myself if they're not helpful.
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I got a new 2020 2106DS that has the roof solar prep.

They pre-install wiring from the roof to the batteries. What you have to do is install some roof solar panels and plug them into the pre-installed roof box. All it is a MC4 connector. Is is not Zamp or anything proprietary, it is just generic MC4 connectors that are the standard with any solar kit.

Then you have to find where they want you to install the controller. Mine is in the basement pass thru on the passenger side. There is a big sticker that says to install controller here. Take the panel off and cut the wires coming down from the roof. Plug those wired into your controller, and mount it in the same spot and you are good to go.

Winnebago just ran the positive and negative wires from the roof the batteries for you. You just install the panels and controller. I think the wiring was set up for a max of 400 watts.

Hope this helps.
BigSky_klx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, solar