Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

12V System Not Working After Battery Change

Hello -
I'm new to this forum and had my wonderful 2019 Micro Minnie 21208DS since new. My two 6v batteries just went bad and I replaced them with a new 12v lithium battery. Now my 12v system is not working at all The panel switches and checks do not turn on or respond at all. When I plug the unit in all systems work as normal. HELP!!!!!
Kate
KRC2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is your use/store switch on?

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Yes. I checked and double checked it.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:41 AM   #4
Site Team

Seems to me we’ve heard from other members that there is a single large fuse in the front storage compartment between the battery and the TT. I’m traveling today and am not able to search for it in previous posts.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

There is a circuit breaker in that galvanized junction box under the frame. Look under the frame below the street side storage bay toward the front...where the frame angles from the frame out to the tongue. See the attached photos below. In the middle of that wad of wire (all 12v), you'll see a gray/black plastic 30A breaker. While you can't see the little reset button in my photo, find it on the side facing downward. In my photo it's hidden by the fat red/orange cable. I included a photo of the breaker as well so you can see what the itty-bitty reset button looks like.

Hopefully all you need to do is hit that reset and things will power back up for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201010_151222_HDR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	179084   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210320_131259.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	179085  

tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
There is a circuit breaker in that galvanized junction box under the frame. Look under the frame below the street side storage bay toward the front...where the frame angles from the frame out to the tongue. See the attached photos below. In the middle of that wad of wire (all 12v), you'll see a gray/black plastic 30A breaker. While you can't see the little reset button in my photo, find it on the side facing downward. In my photo it's hidden by the fat red/orange cable. I included a photo of the breaker as well so you can see what the itty-bitty reset button looks like.

Hopefully all you need to do is hit that reset and things will power back up for you.
This sounds like a very good place to find the fault as there may have been a small arc during the battery change and that is what this breaker is designed to do to protect wiring from getting too hot. It trips if there is a sudden surge in current!

But there are times when breakers do not want to stay when we reset them, so we need to keep in mind how we might test them if the quick and easy "push the button" doesn't work!

Keep in mind that a breaker might be just the same as a simple switch, other than being an auto shutoff, so we can test the breaker the same way we would a switch.

The metal of the box is almost always tied to ground, os using a meter to test for voltage from one lug of the breaker to ground, should show us near 12 VDC when we are on the input side, then if we move that probe to the output lug, we would expect to see no voltage when the breaker is tripped and open!

We kind of do the same IF we see no lights inside and then we get lights after we reset the breaker but that test leaves us blind if the breaker is bad! The fact that we don't get any change leaves us to doubt if we found the right spot or are we consfused, so if we get used to using the best test available each time, we can cut the confusion and downtime a bit.

With meter in hand and seeing voltage going in, none coming out when tripped and then we DO see voltage as we reset the breaker, we can crawl out from under, knowing fully that we did find a problem and fix it!

We might also find out there is another problem in the line but we can go with more confidence if we actually see we are making progress.

Use those meters every chance you get and they are great things to get to know!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you thank you all!!!!

I opened that box again and found the non labeled little reset switch this time and all is back to normal. Whew..........Before this post I read the manual and opened the box but didn't see or recognise this little switch. So you all are life savers as my daughter is taking my trailer this weekend for the first time.
All the best!
Old 06-03-2021, 06:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Usually breakers do not trip without a reason so it behooves one to consider what tripped the breaker.

If the 6 volt batteries were failing to the point of shorting out then yes that could have tripped the breaker however it also could be that when you put the lithium battery charger in that its amperage is higher than the breaker and wiring allows for so it tripped on initial charge.

Too many unfortunately put a higher amperage charger in without giving the breaker or wiring enough consideration until after they have a problem.

If you did not change the charger you really need to verify if the existing charger is safe to use with the lithium battery that was installed.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Good reminder to OP Neil,
Lithium will require linear 14.5v at 30a or higher. Otherwise the life of the battery will be shortened. The original converter/charger must be swapped out. If OP wants to later add an inverter, or inverter charger, this is the time to move the battery to the pass thru. If he does that, then he’ll bypass the tongue breaker, as all dc loads except tongue jack will be re-routed into pass thru.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:01 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The 2019 2108DS has a WFCO 8955 charger which will be just fine with lithium batteries, though will be very much sub-optimal for its ability to charge them all the way up. My upgraded PD4655LIV gets just over 30A over the 6AWG cables and hasn't tripped this breaker yet. With shorter/bigger cables it would.

The breaker could have easily tripped if shore power (and charger) were connected and the battery positive was accidentally touched to ground. But I'm pretty sure that would also blow the dual 40A fuses on the 12v distribution panel -- unless this breaker is real fast. This would also require the battery cutoff be turned on so I'm a bit skeptical. The OP would have to remember steps that were done.

But all of a sudden this makes me wonder about something. Is it possible this breaker is directional? It is clearly labeled BATT on the copper stud side, but wondering if that is relevant for operation or just a handy way to "help" document how it's wired.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery