Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Flipping the axle

I have a 2019 Winnie Plus, model 27RLTS fifth wheel pulled by a 2019 Ford F250. The trailer rides high in the front (Pickup bed is too high). Has anyone flipped the axle on the 27RLTS?
Old 03-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Wait, have you tried a riser or dropped ball shank on your truck receiver first???? That's the best place to start. You can raise or lower the ball up to 10" if you must, the lower the rise/drop the better.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx
Old 03-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have an Anderson ultimate hitch in the truck bed. Truck has a 6',9" bed. In order to be able to make 75 degree turns, I have to flip the king pin adapter toward the front to make room for the back of the kingpin box. And I have to keep the ball on the hitch set on the highest position so I don't crush the bed rails on a turn. But in this position, the Winnie rides nose up, high enough that I can't extend the slides unless I disconnect. So I'm left with trying to raise the trailer at the axle. I only need approx. 2 inches.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
Site Team

D'oh! Slaps forehead! I skipped right past the "5th Wheel" part of your description.

As Emily Litella used to say... Never mind.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
D'oh! Slaps forehead! I skipped right past the "5th Wheel" part of your description.

As Emily Litella used to say... Never mind.
That's okay! This reading stuff is hard work.
And if that's not enough, keep in mind the only folks making mistakes are the ones trying to get something done!

That worked on my old boss and he got the idea pretty quick!
Meanwhile on the real question? Way out of my experience! No help at all.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I switched to a new 5th wheel hitch which rides several inches lower than most regular hitches. I bought mine from Badger Hitches. I'm fortunate that I live just a few miles from where they are made, so I could have the guy who makes them install the hitch for me! https://seemywebbuild.com/badger/
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEdsonStagg View Post
I have a 2019 Winnie Plus, model 27RLTS fifth wheel pulled by a 2019 Ford F250. The trailer rides high in the front (Pickup bed is too high). Has anyone flipped the axle on the 27RLTS?

You best off contacting Winnebago to see if the frame and axle are up to the stress of flipping the axle. They may recommend a different and much safer option such as optional reinforced mounts for the spring shackles, etc.

You really want a safely engineered solution and not just a shade tree internet solution.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same issue with my 27RLTS. Towing with a 2500 Ram short bed and BW slider hitch. I have the Ram Box bed (regret that decision every time I tow) and if I am turning on a downhill the pin box on the trailer will contact the inside of the bed due to the much smaller (4') inside dimension.

So I need to raise the pin box to clear the bed and lower the nose of the unit when connected so it tows more level. I believe the attitude of the unit while under tow puts more weight on the rear axle and tires than the front, and I have had blowouts on both rear tires.

Not quite sure how to make this happen to solve both issues.

Any ideas appreciated!
Fmiclon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

If you look at the shackles on the trailer axles. You are probably mounted on the top hole. If you move them to the bottom hole you can add a full inch to the rear.