Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Darien, GA
Posts: 11
calibrating automatic leveling system

I seem to be getting inconsistent results using the automatic leveling system. I contacted the manufacturer and they gave me the procedure to recalibrate. My issue is that I'm not sure what to use for baselining.

I'm assuming the frame would be best. The beams going from front to back are easy enough to use. But it's the side-to-side I'm concerned about. I'm not convinced I have a good reference. There seems to be only one area underneath right under the front storage access door but the results seem inconsistent with what I'm seeing. I don't think the floor inside or counters will work. I'm really more concerned about the slides and making sure things are level side-to-side. Checking plumb outside in several areas is an exercise in frustration.

What's an owner to do?

TIA,
phil
Phil Sikora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
09busaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 102
I used the floor of my kitchen with a 4ft level. Front to back and side to side. I know I am level because water drains in my sinks and does not pool to one side. Manually level to where you want it to be and then reset zero.
__________________
2021 Elkridge 37BAR
2020 F450
09busaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Darien, GA
Posts: 11
level-level

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09busaman View Post
I used the floor of my kitchen with a 4ft level. Front to back and side to side. I know I am level because water drains in my sinks and does not pool to one side. Manually level to where you want it to be and then reset zero.
Thanks. You reminded me of something I was gonna try but forgot (getting old is everything it's cracked up to be). I have two 4' levels so that'll work. I was also gonna make my own bubble level - water in a pan. Your sink comment helped me remember that.

The never-ending search for truth, justice, and the American way.
Phil Sikora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,642
And then there is always the idea of going simple as the level may never get "just right" if we watch it too close! The items which bug us are different for different people and we find it is more a matter of what bugs the people more than what bothers the slides, etc.

As long as we get the bed so that our head is slightly up, the stove so that grease runs flat and the shower drains, that is what we want to work and the rest of the coach will go along with that!

We never used a level as what we feel is more what we want and that is not actually level.

One point on leveling is to know that it can help to park the Rv slightly different if it helps level. Sometimes pulling in the "wrong way" works best if it makes the front start out lower as you don't have problems with lifting the front wheels off the ground like one might if you have the back end lower and lift the drive wheels off so that you can create a hazard. Sometimes stopping and getting out to look over the lay of the site can make it work better.
__________________
Richard
2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE on 2014 chassis
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Darien, GA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
And then there is always the idea of going simple as the level may never get "just right" if we watch it too close! The items which bug us are different for different people and we find it is more a matter of what bugs the people more than what bothers the slides, etc.

As long as we get the bed so that our head is slightly up, the stove so that grease runs flat and the shower drains, that is what we want to work and the rest of the coach will go along with that!

We never used a level as what we feel is more what we want and that is not actually level.

One point on leveling is to know that it can help to park the Rv slightly different if it helps level. Sometimes pulling in the "wrong way" works best if it makes the front start out lower as you don't have problems with lifting the front wheels off the ground like one might if you have the back end lower and lift the drive wheels off so that you can create a hazard. Sometimes stopping and getting out to look over the lay of the site can make it work better.
All good thoughts. My concern would be having the slides level.
Phil Sikora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,642
Some thoughts on the slides may ease the mind a bit as they are pretty heavy sturdy things.
The jacks are designed to work only in pairs like both front or both sides at one time to avoid twisting. If they worked one at a time, there would be the danger of twisting the frame and that WOULD certainly make the slides a problem but if we are comfortable sleeping and moving around, the slides are not as "picky" as we often seem.
If we set up so that one side is way off level so that the weight of the slide is a factor, most of us will not be happy either as we might tend to roll out of bed or find the cooking on the stove to be funky.
Past the priority of the bed, the next most fussy item for us is often the shower draining the right way.

But then that is also part of the learning curve and each of us will feel different about what we each want in each of our different RV. No wrong way, just finding what fits each of us takes some time.
__________________
Richard
2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE on 2014 chassis
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Darien, GA
Posts: 11
Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Some thoughts on the slides may ease the mind a bit as they are pretty heavy sturdy things.
The jacks are designed to work only in pairs like both front or both sides at one time to avoid twisting. If they worked one at a time, there would be the danger of twisting the frame and that WOULD certainly make the slides a problem but if we are comfortable sleeping and moving around, the slides are not as "picky" as we often seem.
If we set up so that one side is way off level so that the weight of the slide is a factor, most of us will not be happy either as we might tend to roll out of bed or find the cooking on the stove to be funky.
Past the priority of the bed, the next most fussy item for us is often the shower draining the right way.

But then that is also part of the learning curve and each of us will feel different about what we each want in each of our different RV. No wrong way, just finding what fits each of us takes some time.
Thanks, Richard. These are good thoughts. It's just that precision can be so seductive.
Lately I've been relating stories when somewhere in the middle I say: "And that's where my OCD kicked in." This is meant to be humorous. I have to think if I'm less funny and more perceptive.
Phil Sikora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #8
Retired and Loving it
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 16
Hi, just reading this thread and thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in.
I have always used both the fridge and bathroom door as indicators of a good level.
Small torpedo level used on fridge (absorbtion fridge). Round post level to get close and bathroom door to check.
If the fridge is good and bathroom door doesn’t close or open by itself we always found that was perfect.
__________________
Any day I wake up on the right side of the grass is a WONDERFUL DAY.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master
 
FIRE UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Sikora View Post
I seem to be getting inconsistent results using the automatic leveling system. I contacted the manufacturer and they gave me the procedure to recalibrate. My issue is that I'm not sure what to use for baselining.

I'm assuming the frame would be best. The beams going from front to back are easy enough to use. But it's the side-to-side I'm concerned about. I'm not convinced I have a good reference. There seems to be only one area underneath right under the front storage access door but the results seem inconsistent with what I'm seeing. I don't think the floor inside or counters will work. I'm really more concerned about the slides and making sure things are level side-to-side. Checking plumb outside in several areas is an exercise in frustration.

What's an owner to do?

TIA,
phil
First off, may I ask, what make/model/chassis/engine/year are we talking about and, what make/model of leveling system are we discussing here? As has been stated, there are situations that are more important to some, but no so much to others. Things like bedroom/bathroom doors closing on their own when the coach is supposed to be level. The fridge door, opening too far or closing on its own when the coach is supposed to be level.

And then there's the demands of a standard RV type refrigerator. Those need to be relatively level, in order for them to work at the most efficiency rate. Some folks are not too concerned about properly leveling a coach to aid in fridge efficiency, as long as their bed is at the proper angle for sleeping!

Residential fridges are not so particular about being level. But, that doesn't mean it's ok to let drinks slide off the kitchen table either. I have adjusted my HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System so that the all the doors, including the residential fridge doors, stay relatively put, where I let go of them. For the most part, that also means my counter tops are darn close to level, my kitchen table is also darn close to level. At that point, we're both happy.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 103
I gave up on autoleveling after I tried it once or twice. It seemed like the answer to every situation was "go higher." I can keep it nearer the ground and get it level by doing it manually and checking the bathroom door.
__________________
2009 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
John Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
the floor is the most used and recommended surface for calibrating leveling systems.
the refrigerator frame is the next. use any surface you want, as rv are made a little more on the square today than former year.

but as a warning, dont try to use more than one surface to do initial calibration. it may get too complicated. also, dont try to use two different systems at one time to level your coach. different systems have different parameters.
really, i have found for my coach, just getting the bed set is all i want. the refrig doesnt have the same need for exact level it did years ago.
i dont think its that important to pursue a 1/4 inch out of level. my motto is just so its comfortable. beyond that, i want to go outside, not spend time adjusting things.
pfmaddoxsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leveling


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic Winterizing System uhn100 Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 2 04-05-2021 01:48 PM
Leveling Jack question HWH leveling system Westonbum Winnebago Class C Motorhomes 12 09-22-2020 07:09 AM
Oil Changed & Calibrating Dipstick Done (But) LeeB General Maintenance and Repair 11 10-14-2016 07:27 PM
Winnebago 07 - Automatic leveling jacks... Dive-n-diva General Maintenance and Repair 6 05-28-2009 08:15 PM
HWH leveling system: fluid level check Oh-one General Maintenance and Repair 11 03-23-2009 07:39 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×