Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing Minnie Winnie 31K

This will be my first winterization experience for me with my 2015 31K. The manual is less than helpful for me. I have drained fresh water, black and gray tanks. I've removed the suburban W.H. drain. The 2 questions I have: are there low point drains besides the valve under the bed that drains the fresh water tank? is there more than one valve to bypass the hot water heater? I plan to blow out the lines, opening all interior water valves and then fill all drains with antifreeze.

Thank you,

Glesamiz
2015 31K, 2014 E450
Glesamiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Glesamiz,
When Winterizing using the Blow-out Method, I don't believe low-points are a concern. Also, I don't believe you need to bypass the hot water heater for the same reason, as the lines are cleared of water. My understanding is the hot water bypass valve is only used when pumping-in RV antifreeze into your fresh water supply lines.
My 22M does have three drain valves (see 3rd picture) in addition to the fresh water tank drain valve, so I'm pretty sure your 31K will have something similar. Hopefully, an owner of a 31K can help-out here.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My '07 Outlook floor plan is "almost" identical to your coach. I'd wager that the low pt drains are in the same location (under the bathroom sink.)

I prepared a notebook for the next owner that documents all repairs, mods etc and I also included an expanded section re winterizing and de-winterizing. I will attempt to include a pic of the first page on winterizing. You may have to click on the pic to enlarge it .... I trimmed it to 1000 pixels wide for the post; maybe I should have made it wider. On edit: I just now "double clicked" the fuzzy pic of the valves twice and it became very legible.

I tried blowout many years ago, but each time I repeated the procedure (maybe 4 times in a row) I got just a little more water out so I go with the simple drain + "pink stuff". I suspect I may not have a constant slope to the low pt drains (like maybe a sag or two in the PEX tubing along the runs) so I just kept getting a little more water out with each blowout ..... and I am a worry wart, I guess.

There is a piece of thin plywood at the bottom of the cabinet under the bathroom sink. It has quite a few brass wood screws that need to be removed to allow that plywood piece to be raised up to view the low pt drains. Hope yours is the same and that this helps.

Be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Low Pt Drains.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	175388  
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! I will just do a good job with air and antifreeze in the drains.

Thank you!
Glesamiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing Minnie Winnie 31K

I have a 2015 31k. There are 2 low point drains located under the counter top/sink area. Remove the bottom kitchen drawer and locate the drains to your right. Also, remember to remove the cold air intake to your furnace area located near the floor by the oven/refrigerator area to access the only water heater bypass, located to your left.

Those are the only drains except for the fresh water tank drain.
Jktb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter