Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winter Storage

Sorry of this has been asked before but I have a simple question / survey?

When you store your RV for the winter months (3+ months) in a cold climate, do you store it with fuel & propane tanks full or empty? I see advantages both ways. With them empty you have less weight on the frame and tires, but with the tanks full you have no issues with condensation in the tanks and getting water in the fuel.

Thanks,
Old 09-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I prefer full. Tires are cheaper and easier to replace than engines, filters, turbos, etc.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I prefer full...if for no other reason, I start everything up every few weeks to ensure everything is good. I run the generator at full load for 15 minutes (yes, that means I run the A/C!), unload it to cool down and then shut her down. But I have a garage that holds her nicely so I don't have to put it in storage elsewhere where it would be more of a pain to do these checks.

Al
Old 10-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Do not see any benefit from storing with tanks empty.
rx4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Full and Stabil in the gas tank!
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Navion 18V. Keep everything full for several reasons. Fuel tank full to avoid condensation and so I can run the generator (diesel) every month. Propane full just in case we need to escape the house in a power failure...coach will have full fuel for genny and propane for heat.
Hamptongar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
storage yard.,,trucks, buses, RVs. $100 p/m, 24/7 access. the yard owners are also the shop that maintains our chassis.

we store with full fuel and LP tanks.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Starting once a month?

I stabilize the partly full tank and run the generator to make sure the stabilizer gets to it.

But run it once a month? I have difficulty with this unless you can get it up to operating temp. Not just hot but run long and hot enough to burn off any condensation that has occurred.

I own an airplane and only a fool starts it up without flying it. Just the start and run isn’t enough to get rid of the moisture. All aircraft engine manufactures say it’s a bad idea. Start it up and take it for a drive. Then I’d agree.

MTC.

Btw my bigger concern is “cover it or not”.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I fly too, and planes do need to get up in the air to get up to temp. They are air cooled engines plus you don’t want the prop sucking up debris on the ground.

However a generator can get up to temp as long as you run it with a load on it. Running the A/C full bore for 15-20 minutes does that. Whether or not you’re driving around makes no difference to the generator. It does help the main engine get up to temp if you’re running that.
cshodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I agree with ..

The gen. is not the thing I disagree with. The AC will load it up but I do disagree with starting the coach engine and running it with the expectation you are doing good.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
I stabilize the partly full tank and run the generator to make sure the stabilizer gets to it.

But run it once a month? I have difficulty with this unless you can get it up to operating temp. Not just hot but run long and hot enough to burn off any condensation that has occurred.

I own an airplane and only a fool starts it up without flying it. Just the start and run isn’t enough to get rid of the moisture. All aircraft engine manufactures say it’s a bad idea. Start it up and take it for a drive. Then I’d agree.

MTC.

Btw my bigger concern is “cover it or not”.
Interesting the assumptions you made. I drive my coach for at least 90 minutes every 30 days. I also run the generator for 2 hours every 30 days on at least a 50% load. I'm also a commercial pilot.
Hamptongar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

7997redtail, we'll have to agree to disagree. I run the generator and the engine to temperature and check the charge on all the batteries. We do this with our muscle cars, as well, when we can't get them out to drive them due to weather conditions. Yes, driving them is a lot better and we do that every time we can but living in snow country sometimes prevents that for extended periods of time. We do have battery tenders and they are great. However, I have gone through batteries with my muscle cars from lack of use years ago. We rarely have to go more than 8 weeks without being able to take them all out for a bit of spin. Haven't had an issue for decades now.

Al
Old 10-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Water will condense in an empty tank and that will cause you some major headaches down the line. Always fill every type of fuel tank as cold weather approaches. Even in your car, if you drive around in winter with a low fuel level, the air in your tank will condense and water will form in your tank. I also recommend using Sta-Bil® in every engine you will not use for 2 - 3 months, this includes lawn mowers, weed trimmers, lawn blowers, snow blowers, and yes, RV's.
TTFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The propane tank is sealed, so that doesn't matter in regards to condensation. But as someone that lives in earthquake country, the motorhome is a back up house. Mine has a full tank on board, and an attached tank to use when it's parked in the yard so the onboard tank stays full.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
Full and Stabil in the gas tank!

Same here. And a monthly run of both the generator and chassis engine. Have done this for two winters (6 months here in Alaska) with no ill effects whatsoever.

Tags
storage, winter