Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Living The Dream

Winnebago View MPG report

Our Winnebago View now has about 2000 miles on it, so it may still be in the break-in stage, but we had a chance to closely monitor our fuel efficiency on a little trip this past week.

Trip was from the Dallas/Fort Worth area last Sunday to the Waco area and back on Wednesday. Trip down was mostly on I-35 with a slight headwind. Trip back was on state highways with a slight tailwind. Used cruise control frequently --- tried to keep speed around 60 MPH (when legal). Was towing our Scion (about 2500 pounds). Ran dash air conditioner both ways (was in the 90's both days). Both black and gray storage tanks were empty, but the fresh water tank was full. Propane tank was also full.

Resulting miles per gallon performance was 15.2 --- made me very happy! We're now planning our next trip (this one will be further!)
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Living The Dream

Our Winnebago View now has about 2000 miles on it, so it may still be in the break-in stage, but we had a chance to closely monitor our fuel efficiency on a little trip this past week.

Trip was from the Dallas/Fort Worth area last Sunday to the Waco area and back on Wednesday. Trip down was mostly on I-35 with a slight headwind. Trip back was on state highways with a slight tailwind. Used cruise control frequently --- tried to keep speed around 60 MPH (when legal). Was towing our Scion (about 2500 pounds). Ran dash air conditioner both ways (was in the 90's both days). Both black and gray storage tanks were empty, but the fresh water tank was full. Propane tank was also full.

Resulting miles per gallon performance was 15.2 --- made me very happy! We're now planning our next trip (this one will be further!)
Old 10-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Warren

Wow. I can't get that MPH even on a solo diesel pickup. Are you sure that your speedo is set for MPH and not KPH? If it's set for KPH, an MPH reading of about 10 MPH would be about right and outstanding mileage for a green engine. Most HD diesels don't break all the way in until roughly 60,000 to 75,000 miles. I have 10,000 miles on a C7 and am getting 9.5 which I consider good...

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Living The Dream

Ray,

I used MPH rather than KPH, for sure

In fact, when I have my GPS running, I use it rather than the speedometer --- I'm guessing our billions of tax dollars for all those satelites delivers more accuracy than any mechanical speedometer. When the GPS says 60 MPH, the Winnebago's speedometer says about 63 or 64 MPH.

I'm really pumped (no pun intended) about the mileage!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

desertraven

Yes, the little Winnebago View 23' diesels get great mileage, even with a towed.
Do you know anyone looking for a 2006 Winnebago View 23' Diesel?
We just bought new, so we are selling ours.

It's a beautiful, clean one, well maintained, for $50K with some minor extras included.

Or, if you just want to chat: [email protected]
desertraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our '08 with the 3.0L V6 - and a heavy driver's foot - has gotten anywhere from 13.2 to 17.8 on a tankful. Average is low 15's. The 2.7L 5-cylinder models got better economy, but are a bit less powerful.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Great mileage. How do you find the bed/accommodations in the View? Looking at them at RV shows has always left me loving my island queen bed!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
How do you find the bed/accommodations in the View?
Just lift the lid and there they are!!

J/K

Seriously . . .. The Vectra it's not. Neither of us is anywhere close to dainty, and sharing one of the 47x75 beds (sofa and overhead are the same size - read "non-standard anything") leads to random acts of violence.

Our next "big" motorhome will have a king, I have been informed. I'm looking forward to Winnebago downsizing some Vectra floorplans. I really like the Journey 34Y floorplan - but not too keen on the XC chassis (the IFS on the Vectra spoils you - fast!).

We chose the 24H over the other floorplans simply because of the bathroom. It actually has one. The sacrifice is losing a permanent bed base. We have spent as long as two weeks on the road, and it's liveable and comfortable, if not necessarily convenient. The dinette (3rd bed) stays cluttered up with computers, so it doesn't get used as a bed. We rejected the fixed bed models because of the bathroom layouts.

General observations:
Unless you're young and agile, the factory bunk ladder is a joke. We replaced it with a 6' step ladder the 2nd trip out.

If you like going toad-less, it's about as good as it gets for mobility - unless you go to a true B, like the Era (which, BTW, offers a queen in one floorplan). The height (10' 4") is much more of a limitation than the footprint.

If you're nervous about driving an A, or a big C - this is the unit for you. It drives like a dream, and is comfortable. I will probably, however, upgrade the front seats - they are a bit shy on thigh support.

If I'd realized my mobility was going to deteriorate 3 months after we bought the View (collapsed vertebra / pinched nerve / spinal surgery routine), I probably would have picked a more traditional C - or not bought a 2nd motorhome. It's a motorhome for healthy people.

They are a bit expensive on a $ per square foot basis - but the chassis is screwed together much better than any of the other C's we looked at. It's pretty much rattle-free, which is more than I can say for the 3x the price Vectra.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, that's true. You don't get an island queen rear bedroom in a 23' class C that averages 18mpg. The beds are not bad, though, in the View.
Everything in life is a trade-off, and this is never more apparent than in RVing.
I just like the ease, maneuverabliity, and economy of traveling in a small class C, and the Winnebago View is the best I've seen in the U.S.
Not the pick for most of course, and I think this is why: the more you want to explore, and the more of an outdoor person you are, the more you need something smaller and more economical. And the more sedentary you are, the more of a home-body you are, the more you favor say, a 34' class A or bigger, versus say, a 24' class C or smaller. You just "like to have all your stuff" with you all the time. You're convenience-oriented, rather than adventure-oriented primarily. Of course, you can have a nifty SUV 4x4 towed with a couple of kayaks and mountain bikes, and do your share of side trips.
But you can't take your motorhome up the F-105 Forest Service back road to Leadville, Colorado and stay in it anywhere you want along the way at 10,000', for example, and things like that.
The extremes in RV choices would be something like traveling in a Volkswagen CamperVan or a 47K GVW 40' diesel pusher w/ a towed.
My compromise, with just enough luxury and creature comforts to get me by, is a 24' or less class C, specifically the diesel View, that is, by the way, a half a foot narrower than the standard 8' width of a full size motorhome, and about 1/3 lighter, which helps greatly on old state highways, side roads, and even driving and parking in towns.
I fully understand why most people would choose a bigger coach. I'd love a proper rear bedroom, but not at the trade off of a coach that's twice the weight.
That's why I love RVing, we have so many choices to talk about!
desertraven is offline   Reply With Quote