Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago View 24V Door Issue

All of a sudden the door above the steps is very difficult to open and squeaks like crazy. This is a 2021 View. Only camped twice with it. Anyone have any suggestions?
Larry A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Seek warranty repairs, if necessary.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the door hinges and or latches need adjusted.
Our last used RV had been used a by a couple of overweight folks who used the door to get off the ground and up the steps, so they had pulled things way out of line!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here's some hits for an internet search on "2021 View Navion door", including a recall.
https://www.google.com/search?q=2021...nnieowners.com
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Lubrication helped a little

I sprayed some quick drying garage door lube on the hinges which helped the loud squeak somewhat (very difficult to get lube into the hinges), but the door is still stiff to open. I will have RV dealer repair under warranty.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

In addition to fixing the noise, have the dealer verify the door has the new strut position (mounted to the door itself - not to the top of the plastic above the window) - and that the door seals without any air gaps.

We have a 2021 we purchased in June - and had the door strut recall done last fall - and have had problems with air gaps around the door (very noticeable during the winter storm that hit the Texas coast a few weeks ago).
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
I sprayed some quick drying garage door lube on the hinges which helped the loud squeak somewhat (very difficult to get lube into the hinges), but the door is still stiff to open. I will have RV dealer repair under warranty.
Larry, that new style door is plagued with problems. I've had my entire door replaced under a recall. I've also had two different dealers work on it. They don't seems to be any more familiar with it than me and I think it's because it was the first of its type starting in the 2020 models. For the squeeking, the door has to be adjust correct so both slam latches are closed in the second position. You can adjust the metal loops on the latch side of the door. For the door stiff to open, outside of the hinge, the only thing that should cause that is the shock on top. Hopefully your dealer gets to the issue. When did you get your 2021? My old door had the wrong type of shock which would fling the door open. I'd rather have a shock that would slow the speed down in both directions.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. I just got my View in January (I think it was only on the lot a very short time).
Old 03-09-2021, 06:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the input. I will check this out. I know that unless I slam the door shut, there is a gap where the door is not completely closed.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

When adjusting the u-bolts, because the latches are only secured when they are in the "second position", the bolts will probably work best to completely close the door, if they are in the middle position. Moving the bolts too much towards the inside of the coach will prevent the latches from reaching the second position - so the door won't be completely latched while driving, and because of that, the door may not completely seal.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

door squeak

I wrapped electrical tape around the post that the door latches onto and no more squeak. The latch and pole rub as things loosen up and electrical tape prevents the metal to metal contact.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

While that sounds like a great short term solution, especially in the summer heat, isn't there a risk the tape could get loose and then foul up the door latch?

If the latch is squeaking, a better solution might be to apply some graphite to the latch mechanism, and then try shifting the u-bolt slightly in either direction to get the latch to secure completely.

If the latch is squeaking, that could mean it's not completely in the second position - so the door may not be securely latched.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

There is a metal rod going through two hinges at the top of the door. It turns out that one of the top hinges of the door is completely frozen (locked) to the rod and the rod is possibly bent. I took it to the dealer and am hoping somehow they can fix it soon. While I was there, they couldn't get the rod out of the hinge. This on a 2 month old Winnebago View! As a new RV owner, I'm beginning to wonder what I have gotten myself into.....
Old 03-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
There is a metal rod going through two hinges at the top of the door. It turns out that one of the top hinges of the door is completely frozen (locked) to the rod and the rod is possibly bent. I took it to the dealer and am hoping somehow they can fix it soon. While I was there, they couldn't get the rod out of the hinge. This on a 2 month old Winnebago View! As a new RV owner, I'm beginning to wonder what I have gotten myself into.....
Good luck on the repair. Seems the dealers are still not familiar with these doors. Those metal rods are just pins that keep the hinges together like any other door. Not sure how one could possibly seize. I just got my RV back and the dealer attempted to install the new door. They did a terrible job and pieced it together with old and new parts. Luckily I asked for the old door back and the bags of parts. One of the pins is stuck to one side of the hinge (door portion of hinge) and that seems to be normal and how it is supposed to be. That's how mine is also. If the dealer doesn't get to the bottom of your repair let me know. I have a complete spare door and parts that can rebuild most of a door. My old door only had the shock bracket broken.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what to think anymore. They have ordered a new door which will probably take 2 months. I have only taken two short trips (in state) in the two months I've owned it. There have been several issues with this brand new View - everything is under warranty, but I am not impressed with Winnebago quality. It seems I bought a very expensive lemon!
Old 03-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what to think anymore. They have ordered a new door which will probably take 2 months. I have only taken two short trips (in state) in the two months I've owned it. There have been several issues with this brand new View - everything is under warranty, but I am not impressed with Winnebago quality. It seems I bought a very expensive lemon!
Hang in there Larry. Unfortunately most manufacturers will be similar. It takes about a year to work out all the bugs and defects. And I strongly agree Winnebago needs to improve on quality, but that is the game today. I wouldn't consider yours a lemon, but rather the typical build. You just need to stay diligent with your communication with your dealer and not let them hold onto your coach. My original dealer held onto my RV for 8 weeks for the original door repair. Looking back at it now, I would not go through that process again. I can't see how you would need a whole new door over a hinge. Just like my dealer, they wanted a while new door over a broken bracket. All they should have done was replace the bracket. Instead they made the new door install worse than the factory door install.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Door squeak

We dealt with Winnibago and various dealerships getting warranty work done. We found that neither were very helpful or knowledgeable. We walked away from getting our gps fixed after a year of replacing all the parts several times. After the warranty ran out, Winnebago told us to go stuff it. My overhead dome on my 2018 view had the clear coat crack. The roof is supposed to be warrantied but once again, Winnebago did nothing but send a manager to look at it. We also had a wiring issue and found out that Winnebago uses electrical boxes that are too small and the wires were shorting across, disrupting the flow of electricity. Over $3000 in warranty items and we were blown off by Winnebago. I spent a full summer with our view at the dealership fixing numerous defects and repairs, several that were improperly repaired. If you are trying to fix a squeak, you are destined for a lot of wasted time and effort. My rv repair shop stated it this way: You can not put a house on the back of a vehicle and not expect the swaying, bumps, roads, curves, etc to not torque the frame in some fashion and cause problems. Hence the simple solution of using electrical tape to stop a squeak.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I’m a bit late to the party but here’s my two cents. Have a 2019 Navion D with a persistent door squeak. I checked the door frame stud for the latch and saw a bright silver wear mark where it should’ve been a dull gray. Found that if I apply a gob of silicone lube to the door latch and another to the door frame stud that there’s no more squeak for approx 500 miles. I keep a squeeze tube of lube in the door pocket and apply as soon as it squeaks again. Haven’t had a squeak since.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

new door

Have a new 2020 view - year old this month, bottom latch on door was not closing properly. Dealer 'repaired' it last winter. First trip out this year , door was way worse - only top latched closed unless it was slammed really hard on the bottom from the outside.
Winnebago finally agreed to install new door and frame. Thats scheduled for labor day weekend !!
Sea Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

We were able to get our coach door fixed - and the fix seems to be working.

As a short term fix, I placed some insulation strips under the door gaskets - and that helped to eliminate the air gaps.

Then, when we had our 21D at Lichtsinn last month, they implemented a better solution by re-seating the door gaskets - and then carefully adjusting the u-bolts to get the door to completely seal around the edges.

The u-bolt adjustments have to be done carefully - because the door latches appear to have two positions - and unless you get the latch into the second position when closed, the door is fully latched in place.

Tags
door, view, winnebago