Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago View 24J Fuel MPG

I tried to respond with a pic on a reply to a fuel mpg question . could not get the pic to load on a quote reply so Here is my reply and pic on a new thread I can load pic to .
the reply

I have never gone an extended period going a slower speed while traveling , but we had to take a rental car back to Rapid city from outside Deadwood . the speed limit was 45 , hills winding curves ,motorcycles , etc so 45 mph speed limit is proper.
well when I look down at the light approaching rapid city , I looked down and was surprised how well the mpg was . I took a pic , my previous best is 17-18 (combined ) of course thats going 65+..In the pic you can see that the 54 minute trip was 30 miles and was doing 24.2 mpg.. I found myself using the 24J as a van running around tampa city proper and with the
mercedes computer it is accumulative after start , taking in idling, running generator , etc
If I don't reset and leave for say 1000 -2000 miles it will always come back down to 15-16mpg. This vehicle has always gotten better milage than my Crewmax .
Since the Sumos,Helwig and KoniFSD, going from Montana back to tampa cruising
sensation is very similar to the wind sound and feeling of being in a 747 on desent to an airport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9974.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	170563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9975.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	170564  

RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The View is on the Sprinter Chassis and my Fuse is on the Ford Transit Chassis, but aside from that I have to concur.

During our last trip I decided to keep my speed under 60 as much as possible just to see how the Ford diesel did, and found much better mileage than at 65 or 70. More to the point, when I was traveling through areas with speed limits of 45 or 50 I could see the mileage in the display uptick noticeably and since those are cumulative values, not instantaneous values, that had to mean that the mileage had gone way up.

My 60 mph mileage was about 17 mpg over 150 miles or so, but since dropping down to 45 mph for 5 or 6 miles at a time caused my display to bump that up to about 17.5 that had to mean that the instantaneous mileage was well over 20 mpg. I have no plans to normally travel at 45 or 50 mph, but I suspect that you could get astonishing mileage at that speed.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Our 14' View Profile gets about 15.5 on average. Maybe 16 and change down hill and a tail winds. It can drop to 14.5, or less, under adverse conditions. It has about 16K miles so this is long term. Also has LP generator so no skimming out of the fuel tank.

The near optimum speed is about 63mph (100km/h) - 68mph. Nearer 70mph, you are pushing a lot of air and more importantly the air drag behind the bluff back RV just sucks the life out of your MPG.

For comparison, our 2010 Class B with a similar drive drain delivered a long term mpg of about 16- 16.5.

While it's good to have an understanding of your 'average' long term fuel consumption, it becomes a rather arcane exercise. Where mpg may be important is determining your 'range' (mpg x gallons in tank) and your 'reserve distance' (miles you can SAFELY go when the blinky fuel light comes on. Yes.... these things be come boat anchors with out fuel. Traveling out west where the fuel stops can be far between, it's a very good idea to know where your next 'tanker' is waiting.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Traveling out west where the fuel stops can be far between, it's a very good idea to know where your next 'tanker' is waiting.
When I am traveling through some rural areas in the West, especially in the areas between El Paso and San Antonio (I-10), Phoenix and Yuma (I-8) and El Centro and San Diego (also I-8) I always try to fill up when I get anywhere near half a tank. That will be even more true when I am looking for diesel as I do not yet know where I can expect to find diesel, as compared to gasoline. The relatively small tank of the Winnebago Fuse (25 gallons) and the slightly larger View (26.5 gallons) do not seem nearly large enough.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Right you are AJ. On my 14 View (All are the same) it is 26.4 gal /100 L. The warning light comes on about 6 gallons. You need to keep about 1 gallon or more in the tank to avoid over heating the high pressure pump or running it out of fuel and having a hell of a time breaking the vapor lock in the injection system. If you are going up and down hills, it may be important not to uncover the pickup. At least that's my theory

Soo.... my rule of thumb is, conservatively, 15mpg x 20 gal = 300 miles. 15mpg x 5 gal = 75 mile reserve.

And, never under estimate the effect of strong headwinds. I thought I had it planned one trip and would make a fuel stop I used many times with our Class B Sprinter. Let's just say with the hills and an unexpected header with gusts 25-30, I ended up putting in almost 25 gallons.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

It was quite interesting watching our Scan-Gage during our AK to IN trip in our V10 powered Minnie Winnie. In addition to the effects of higher speeds and wind resistance mentioned by the others, terrain and quick elevation changes have huge effects on mpg. It was exhilarating to see the mpg shoot way up to 30+ when going downhill with the throttle virtually off, but going up the other side the pucker factor kicked in when it dropped to single digits - LOW single digits! Even during moderate acceleration from a standing start the mpg can go as low as 2.5. I'm not complaining though. I knew from the get-go that motorhomes are not known for having good gas mileage, especially the ones with big block engines. It is sobering though to see the mpg in real time and all the variables that can have both positive and negative effects on it.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
I knew from the get-go that motorhomes are not known for having good gas mileage, especially the ones with big block engines.
Our previous RV was a Class B with the Ford V10 and it generally gave us about 13.5-14.5 mpg, and I considered that to be pretty good. Of course it was a Class B with a small profile and not as heavy as a Minnie Winnie, but still not too bad for a gasser.

As I remember gasoline used to be very expensive in Alaska (> $1.00/gallon while gas in the lower 48 was 30 cents/gallon), but that was 50 years ago and perhaps it is no longer expensive because of the oil in Prudhoe Bay.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The price of gas isn't too bad here in Anchorage and possibly Fairbanks partly because there is a refinery in Fairbanks and is connected to Anchorage by road and rail. Just filled our minivan at Costco yesterday at $3.15.9 per gallon. Unfortunately gas prices off the road system, which is about 2/3rds of the state, are generally in the $6.00 to $8.00 range. On the Alaska Highway in Canada there are a handful of places that have $6 - $8 dollar gas too, but its understandable because it has to be trucked 200 - 300 miles or more to the stations. That said the gas prices in the more populated areas in Canada along the highway are quite a bit higher than U.S. prices, somewhere around 150%. The upside is that Canadian roads are generally very well maintained, even the Alaska Highway itself After crossing the border into Montana the prices were around $2.75 and sometimes lower. The most expensive place on the Alaska Highway was at a place called Muncho Lake, British Columbia where gas was $1.99 per liter. Unfortunately our Winnie was very thirsty and she took on 113 liters (about 30 gallons) and the final cost was $265.00. On the trip back to Anchorage I planned the fuel stops so as to avoid Muncho Lake. Its a super nice place - just super expensive too.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
The price of gas isn't too bad here in Anchorage and possibly Fairbanks partly because there is a refinery in Fairbanks and is connected to Anchorage by road and rail. Just filled our minivan at Costco yesterday at $3.15.9 per gallon. Unfortunately gas prices off the road system, which is about 2/3rds of the state, are generally in the $6.00 to $8.00 range. On the Alaska Highway in Canada there are a handful of places that have $6 - $8 dollar gas too, but its understandable because it has to be trucked 200 - 300 miles or more to the stations. That said the gas prices in the more populated areas in Canada along the highway are quite a bit higher than U.S. prices, somewhere around 150%. The upside is that Canadian roads are generally very well maintained, even the Alaska Highway itself After crossing the border into Montana the prices were around $2.75 and sometimes lower. The most expensive place on the Alaska Highway was at a place called Muncho Lake, British Columbia where gas was $1.99 per liter. Unfortunately our Winnie was very thirsty and she took on 113 liters (about 30 gallons) and the final cost was $265.00. On the trip back to Anchorage I planned the fuel stops so as to avoid Muncho Lake. Its a super nice place - just super expensive too.
I did not mean to hijack this thread. It is just that I remember the year I spent in Alaska (Big Delta - Fort Greeley) as one of the most memorable of my life and the drive up and down the then-gravel Alaska Highway as the most beautiful drive I have ever taken anywhere.

As for prices, well I made the mistaken of stopping on the Alaska Highway and buying a hamburger. When the waiter asked me if I wanted tomato on that I said "Sure. Why not" without realizing what a mistake that was.

I paid quite a bit over $1.00 US for gas on the Alaska Highway but, of course, it was an Imperial Gallon at that time. Any any case the drive is beautiful as is the entire state of Alaska.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We just got 14mpg with our 24j flat towing our Honda CRV awd to Paso Robles for the weekend.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Owens View Post
We just got 14mpg with our 24j flat towing our Honda CRV awd to Paso Robles for the weekend.
Out of curiosity, at what speed?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

58 mph and hills. It is 55 with a trailer in California so I push it a bit...��
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Big square rear end equals drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Our 14' View Profile gets about 15.5 on average. Maybe 16 and change down hill and a tail winds. It can drop to 14.5, or less, under adverse conditions. It has about 16K miles so this is long term. Also has LP generator so no skimming out of the fuel tank.

The near optimum speed is about 63mph (100km/h) - 68mph. Nearer 70mph, you are pushing a lot of air and more importantly the air drag behind the bluff back RV just sucks the life out of your MPG.

For comparison, our 2010 Class B with a similar drive drain delivered a long term mpg of about 16- 16.5.

While it's good to have an understanding of your 'average' long term fuel consumption, it becomes a rather arcane exercise. Where mpg may be important is determining your 'range' (mpg x gallons in tank) and your 'reserve distance' (miles you can SAFELY go when the blinky fuel light comes on. Yes.... these things be come boat anchors with out fuel. Traveling out west where the fuel stops can be far between, it's a very good idea to know where your next 'tanker' is waiting.
As a racer, both frontal area and rear drag were part of our "clean up" agenda. Free horsepower!! Same horsepower, less drag, more speed. TFE! I honestly never considered this inre my Class A. Recently in a downpour I noticed the pattern of the spray kicked up by a 35 footer in the adjacent lane. Massive turbulence off the roof was to be expected! However, the the forward curl of spray arching up into the pocket behind the coach spoke volumes. Has anyone out there done any research into diffusers in the world of RV's. We've all noticed the push we get from the "bow wave" from a passing semi filling that vacuum right behind us, surely filling this area with managed air pressure from above, beneath and beside would not only mitigate that unsettling shove but also make a noticeable improvement to MPG or L per 100!! The roof might be tricky but a couple of strakes/diverters on the side to manage boundary layer and a properly engineered belly pan with a rear diffuser could be worth the effort! I know, I know. It will put the purchase price up. Hey, we're already being gouged, whats another couple of K?? Just my two cents. Thanks
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

ive been looking for a thread like this since we bought our 2020 vita (5 speed trans). we get horrible mileage like 10-12 mpg. I'm seeing that people getting 16-18 mpg what the heck am i doing wrong. At 70 mph flat road its about 11 mpg and at 55 mph flat road i only get 12.5 mpg.
Rschlarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #15
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
I tried to respond with a pic on a reply to a fuel mpg question . could not get the pic to load on a quote reply so Here is my reply and pic on a new thread I can load pic to .
the reply

I have never gone an extended period going a slower speed while traveling , but we had to take a rental car back to Rapid city from outside Deadwood . the speed limit was 45 , hills winding curves ,motorcycles , etc so 45 mph speed limit is proper.
well when I look down at the light approaching rapid city , I looked down and was surprised how well the mpg was . I took a pic , my previous best is 17-18 (combined ) of course thats going 65+..In the pic you can see that the 54 minute trip was 30 miles and was doing 24.2 mpg.. I found myself using the 24J as a van running around tampa city proper and with the
mercedes computer it is accumulative after start , taking in idling, running generator , etc
If I don't reset and leave for say 1000 -2000 miles it will always come back down to 15-16mpg. This vehicle has always gotten better milage than my Crewmax .
Since the Sumos,Helwig and KoniFSD, going from Montana back to tampa cruising
sensation is very similar to the wind sound and feeling of being in a 747 on desent to an airport.
JULY 14 , 2020, Never went back and updated my subsequent findings . Sorry bout that , did not want to mislead anyone that is in different parts of the country .
I took that picture because I was aghast on the
Difference in mileage . It was the slowest long range I have ever driven , less tha 40 for 40 miles, was though the hills though. On the road through mid west the 17-18 was happening. We are based in Tampa and do much of everything in Florida - N Carolina Combined mileage in this region for the view is in the 15–16 range. So even though the fla landscape is flat, seems to get about 1-2 mpg less .
Maybe heat, I do know afteR about 58 mph the mpg
Goes down in a increasing ratio factor . , for sure.
I am certainly satisfied with the MB 3.0 mileage ,
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

RJ2

i wish i was getting 15-16 mpg. i usually stay east coast as well (FL to NC). i think i just drive too fast (65-75) as one of my passengers (3.5 year old) doesn't care about the scenery.
Rschlarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

My standard answer when asked about gas mileage?
Not very good for a car but really great for a house!

If I bought it only to worry about the mileage, I made a mistake buying it!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, winnebago