Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just about to make a decision on a new Class C Winnebago. We like the model 31C with one superslide or the 29B with two slides. The 31C has really nice kitchen space and the 29B has a nicer bedroom and closet space. I have been quoted a price of $58,500 for 2005 models from two dealers. One will include an extended warranty. I really didn't want to spend more than $55,000. From what I read on this forum the "Bilstein Shocks" are a must and maybe the "Safesteer" should be added as well. I will occasionally be towing an 1800 lb cargo trailer with a 800 lb Harley inside. I used to have a 1990 26 ft Jamboree Class C. That ol' Jamboree really blew around in the wind. Any and all advice is solicited.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just about to make a decision on a new Class C Winnebago. We like the model 31C with one superslide or the 29B with two slides. The 31C has really nice kitchen space and the 29B has a nicer bedroom and closet space. I have been quoted a price of $58,500 for 2005 models from two dealers. One will include an extended warranty. I really didn't want to spend more than $55,000. From what I read on this forum the "Bilstein Shocks" are a must and maybe the "Safesteer" should be added as well. I will occasionally be towing an 1800 lb cargo trailer with a 800 lb Harley inside. I used to have a 1990 26 ft Jamboree Class C. That ol' Jamboree really blew around in the wind. Any and all advice is solicited.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

FlashG, welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the forum. we had a 1999 Minnie Winnie 31A (no slide) and weight is an issue on the larger class C's. The Minnie Winnie's with the full basemnet are a bit taller than a regular class C and as a result have a tendency for the body to roll fromm side to side because the shocks and anti-roll bars are not suffucuent on the Ford E450 chassis. Everytime it rolls, you have to correct the steering...it is called roll steer or bump steer. The Steer-Safe and Safty plus can hel p to mask the problem. To properly fix the handing problem, it will require a more agressive or stiffer shock absorber such as a Bilstein or a Monroe RV Magnum plus larger anti-roll bar from some one like IPD USA or Hellwig. Helwig has just started to supply the antiroll bars for the E-450 chassis and are less $$$.

The shocks and anti-roll bars (some folks call them sway bars) will fix the handling and you do not need a Steer-Safe or oter steering damper device.

Try to tell the dealer you want Bilstein shocks and IPD anti-roll bars instlled as part of the deal.

Ken
Old 12-16-2005, 02:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We chose class A over C. My 2004 31Y Adventurer has a very similar layout to the 31C, but my GVWR is 6350 pounds higher. Sure, a lot of it used up with things like larger tanks, but I like them!

Anyway. Crestwood RV in New York is one of the cheapest places to buy. They show their prices on their website, crestwoodrv.com. $58,500 will get you a 2006 29B. Options would change that of course, but I think you'd be able to get that $55,000 you targeted on a 2005.

And, if you didn't know Winnebago will fax you the MSRP price sheet for any model you want, just call them. My dealer actually refused to show it to me! It can really help when comparing prices on different units.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Our last coach was an '03 minnie 31C. It had very little problem with handling as it came. The only changes I did were correcting the tire pressure to match the actual weight and adjust the rear air bags before each trip. I never had any problem with the handling as trucks passed or with wind gusts. I'll have to say it didn't handle very different than our new Adventurer, but I wouldn't go back for anything!

There is no doubt, you will have much more usable space with a class A and much more CCC.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We had an 04 31C and we got rid of it because it used to get blown all over the road. I added the Safe-T-Steer and it really didn't help that much. I LOVED the RV itself...just hated driving it. Now in the Class A, When a truck goes by, I can't feel it
Jonny
jonny33v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had the 29B Minnie and enjoyed it very much. I put the Bilstein shocks on which cured the top sway. Handling was OK most of the time and I liked the front idependant suspension. However, because the front tires are on a narower track than the rears, I found the wind push from passing trucks was a bother.

We traded on the Sightseer because our dealer had a buyer looking for a 29B and he offered us a wonderful deal...could not walk away from it!!
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

FlashG, I had a 2005 29B and I loved the unit
but I didn't like the way it handled at all. Always had to fight to keep it on the road. I even put a safe-t-plus steering stab. and that didn't help. I got rid of it and bought a Itasca 30b which handles alot better. I was very dissappointed with the handling.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Ditto the CCC. It could be very small with the weight of the slideout mechanism.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The steering stabilizers don't do much to help the E450 suspension/handling problems. It takes larger anti-roll bars on the front and rear and HD shocks.

Ken
Old 01-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Update to the Class C questions I had. You good folks on this forum and over on RV.net forum kind of talked me out of the Class C idea. So I bought a used 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B. Hope I did the right thing. I will pick it up Friday - January 6th. Thanks Everyone!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Having had both class A's and class C's, if I were to get another gas MoHo, I would get a small class A. I think you did fine.

Now just go and enjoy it. Hope you have many happy miles.

Ken