Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Skywaterbanjo

Windshield shade on 2020

Can someone tell me if the new 2020 24D has the integrated windshield and side window shades? They call them folding windshield and cab window blinds but I can't see if they are integrated or separate. Thanks.
skywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We just placed a order for a View 24D and we have been told the shades have been removed as a option because they may interfere with the air bags should they deploy.
Doug S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I second that
Patjfrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You will get a windshield shade similar to the one you use on your cars/trucks. The side windows are similar and attach with magnets.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Skywaterbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You will get a windshield shade similar to the one you use on your cars/trucks. The side windows are similar and attach with magnets.
Thanks. That is helpful.
skywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

2020, 24D Mercedes cab shades

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 24D - Front Shades.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	172227

The shades are not the same as the 2019 front cab shades.
They are pleated and look fine, just not nearly as convenient to store as the 2019 shades.
Lou D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

On our 2020 V model, we got the folding shades separate, in storage bags. We switched to WeatherTech roll-up shades which are quite a bit easier to install, have reflective and insulating material, and quicker take-down.

However the coach windows do have fully integrated screens and shades which are pretty awesome.
PointOfView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Windshield shade

Has anyone tried these shades. They have night/day or night only shades pull down. They custom cut to customers size, installation looks simple.

https://www.recpro.com/custom-nitepr...roller-shades/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shade.PNG
Views:	118
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	174113  
rereaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Just got our 2021 View 24D. Included sunshades do not fit. The windshield 2 pieces do not allow for the rear view mirror so are totally useless. The side pieces do not fit well because of the passenger pull up handles.

Anyone have better experience or different shades included in their new Views?
daSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

When we first got our 2021 View 24D, we had problems getting the windshield shades to fit well, with the (completely useless) rear view mirror sticking out of the windshield, making it difficult for the driver and passenger sides to meet in the middle.

We tried putting the shades between the rear view mirror and the windshield, and that didn't help.

After over 7K miles and almost 6 months - we've gotten much better at installing the shades over the rear view mirror. It helps to have the mirror so it's parallel to the windshield, to help the two sides of the shade to meet in the middle. Plus pulling down the visors on both sides helps to lock the top of the shades in place.

Now that we've got more experience with the shade placement, we're pretty comfortable with them. We can get the windshield shade to close in the middle (there's velcro to help keep the two pieces together), while also only exposing a small amount of windshield on the sides.

We've done multiple trips in the Texas summer sun and heat, and the shades have proven very effective at keeping the cab area cooler - almost immediately after putting up the shades.

Our one complaint is the completely useless rear view mirror.

We asked our Sprinter service to remove the mirror (since you can't see out of the RV with it, so it's useless). They were unable to do the removal, because the mirror is classified as a safety device - and Mercedes can't remove it.

However, Winnebago (since they added the coach to the Sprinter chassis) could remove the rear view mirror, by attesting is no longer a safety device because the mirror doesn't see outside. Based on photos, it looks like Tiffin is already doing this.

If the rear view mirror is removed - that would make shade installation much easier on the 2021s...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post

Our one complaint is the completely useless rear view mirror.

We asked our Sprinter service to remove the mirror (since you can't see out of the RV with it, so it's useless). They were unable to do the removal, because the mirror is classified as a safety device - and Mercedes can't remove it.

However, Winnebago (since they added the coach to the Sprinter chassis) could remove the rear view mirror, by attesting is no longer a safety device because the mirror doesn't see outside. Based on photos, it looks like Tiffin is already doing this.

If the rear view mirror is removed - that would make shade installation much easier on the 2021s...
Thanks for the reply. Any reason that the owner cannot remove it? Or remove it and restore it before taking it in for service?

What about the side shades? They didn't look too well planned out either. We got them up, but it wasn't pretty.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

If someone can post instructions like the fix for the center speaker, it should be possible to remove the mirror. I've searched online for instructions, and have come up empty so far.

I don't think Mercedes cares if the mirror is there or not when you bring in the Sprinter. They just can't be responsible for removing it.

The side shades work fairly well - only a problem when someone opens that door, when the shade will occasionally slide. When we install them we don't try to put the shade between the door lock post and the window - it's easier to put the shades up and take them down if the shade is on the inside of the post (not the outside).

One advantage of these shades is that they fit snug to the glass, preventing any air pockets from heating up inside the chassis.

Initially we were disappointed in getting the shades (we've seen other RV's with better solutions). But based on how well the shades are able to keep the heat out in the summer sun - they work, and worth some compromises.

We wrap two long velcro strips around the shades when they aren't being used and put them up in the overhead cab storage while driving.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I finally got them to fit fairly well. I took the rear view mirror and turned it 90 degrees from the normal position. This way it presents a much smaller interference to the placement of the windshield covers. They fit behind without much trouble.

The side shades look like the magnets are attached on the wrong side. Mine are sewn on the silver side so the really tend to pull the away from the glass. It seems to me that they should be on the inside of the shade to hold it in place. Which side are your magnets on?
Old 11-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #14
2021 View 24D

My 21D are different than LouD's 2020 shades. They're by Cover Craft. I also found it difficult to install at first, but quickly adapted as others have described. I put the side shades completely against the windows, believe the magnets are correct as they should have contact with metal, and the only minor comment is the folds show no attempt to be square with any edge of the window. Just a cosmetic thing I would not have designed, but maybe saves on the manufacturer's material costs. The front shades are indeed more of a challenge to erect. My major complaint here is they are not contoured around the front camera electronics. This area becomes a cooker in the sun. I'm OK until the Mercedes warranty expires, but as others have noted this is a failure that is sure to happen, especially for us in the southwest. We tried storing them overhead, but migrated to the dinette's closest bench underneath. All in all, I tend towards liking them rather than looking for another solution with other deficiency tradeoffs.
fsantore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

2021 Navion 24D sun shades

Our 24D has the heavy fabric accordion type shades. The front window is not that difficult to install but needing the sun visors flipped down against the top of the shades to hold it in place is surely going to wear out the visors until they will become limp and not store up and out of the way against the ceiling. I found that installing the side shades is best done with the door open so you can line the magnets up with the metal window frame. The goofy thing for me is my dealership gave me two left (drivers) side shades so I have to face the right side shade with the lighter reflective side facing in! On one-night stays we don’t use the shades but we installed a curtain rod across the top of the sleeper cab and use two panels of black out shades. They also help to keep the cockpit cool in the summer by somewhat holding the a/c air from flowing to the cabin which for us would be a waste because we don’t have passengers in the back to worry about keeping cool. Likewise, the curtain helps to keep the hot air in the cockpit from competing with the roof a/c unit when we are camping!
“Roamin” Catholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Our 2021 came with shades that didn't fit around the rear view mirror but the dealer was nice enough to find us some that fit perfectly. They are way heavier and bulkier than they need to be though.

A few months ago, we were pleased to find that on extremely hot days the shades could be used on the outside of the cab windows, which makes them much more effective. (Next time you have window shades up on a hot day with bright sunshine, measure the temperature in between the shade and the glass - you'll be very surprised at how hot it gets in that space, much in the same way a dashboard gets very warm on a hot sunny day.)
Koert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

We had the useless rear view mirror removed.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I like the rear view mirror so I can see why my wife is taking so long to get my iced tea while we are driving down the highway!
Old 09-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

OMG that is brilliant, put the shades on the outside! I never thought of that!
Old 09-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm , and .... what's the matter with this good old long lasting windshield/side window cover magnetically held in place on the OUTSIDE of the cab?:

https://www.campingworld.com/deluxe-...ts-630100.html
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote