Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Which year did the View chassis change and pivoting sink come out

One person said the chassis changed between 2015 and 16. Another 2016 and 17. Interested to know exactly when it changed and what difference it makes specifically?
This would be the deal breaker for narrowing down my search for a used View or Navion.
I have read the spec sheets of the PDFs for the various years but am very confused

Also but not as important have seen some negatives about the pivoting sink. When was that introduced in the G? Thank you,.
Camping girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

That is an interesting question. Honestly, if they have made changes they are subtle and have improved the chassis. At this time, the concern has been over the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating on the 3500 series. It's currently 11,030 lbs and has been for probably 10 years.

Mother Benz, like many manufacturers, continually improves their products either for better performance or to correct some perceived issues. Sometimes a redesign is due to making the 'build' less expensive or easier to assemble. Some 'improvements' might not be seen by your Mark I eyeball. For example: maybe they made some changes in the materials and performance of the rear leaf springs. Looking at them you would not know the difference.

Starting about 2009/2010, the 3.0 L turbo six w/ 5 speed automatic was introduced. Over the years that engine and drive train have been continually improved and modified to make it run cleaner and more efficiently. About 2015 they introduced a twin turbo I-4 with a 7 speed. Both are very good drive trains.

Were it me and my budget would allow, I'd look for something between 2014-2017. Either drivetrain.

WBGO makes a pretty good coach and have done so over the years. Getting to the WBGO coach building.... every box they have put on the Sprinter chassis over the many years varies from build year to sub-versions with in a production year. Example: a 24G View made in 2014's interior is not the same as my friends 2018 24G. Also, there is some variation in the 'add on' features between each variation.

A Crow's suggestion would be to go to the WBGO website and look at the interior layouts over the years. All the marketing information and brochures are at their site. Find a couple interior set ups that look tasty. Then, see if you can find one on a lot or private sale to look at.

Hint: I don't know what you are planning on using your new RV for.... full time or vacation or road trips. BUT!!! It's important to sit down (even with a brochure) and sort out how you would 'use' and live in the interior space. Sort of 'block out' like doing a play. OK... reaching for the fridge while at the galley counter. Are there plenty of cabinet and interior cubbys and storage spaces. Does it have a full shower? Can you walk (mostly) around the master bed (24G) or do you have the banquets or side loading bed (where you have to crawl over your mate in the middle of the night to use the lavatory). Can you see the TV from the couch or dinette? Pretend you are in it and how do you use it.

We have a View Profile 24G. A 2014. My buddy has a 2018 24G with the over cab snout. We looked at it (Mrs Crow is always looking and that scares me....!!!) Anyway, we have about 6 over head storage compartments in the galley area. We have at least 4/5 drawers under the galley counter. There's one cabinet right adjacent to the main hatch big enough to store a small Keruig maker and all the coffee mess and more. Above the counter is a swing out TV. And right above that (one of the mentioned cupboards) I turned into an 'electronics/charging bay' by adding another shelf. Forward of the main hatch on both sides above the cab are large storage bins with doors. There's not bed above the cab so you can walk 'down' and enter the cab easily.

Why tell all of this??? Well, we looked closely at my Bud's 2018 ... side by side. He's got NADA! None of those things. A couple storage bins in the galley. TV is mounted behind the sink and you can't see it from the sofa. (More so if Chef is prepping dinner!). There's a whole lot of difference in the interior usability and function. His has the bedroom snout over cab. There are no side storage bins. You have to put the bed platform in to have any storage over head and sort out how to lash things down and keep them there. And, I'm pretty sure you have never been inside a B-17 Flying Fortress. The WW2 bomber. Well the 'snout overs' with the bed installed are like trying to crawl up to the cockpit, nav and bombardier compartment on a B-17. You duck your head and sort of low crawl/scuttle up to the cab. The only thing missing is the upper turret that would also block your way forward. That gets pretty darn old after 3 times.

Also, we got 'more better' exterior storage compartments. Same basic coach box... just different and better layout and usefulness.

Wrapping up. The mechanical differences between any of the 'newer' post 2009 Sprinter chassis are hard to identify. The are like fraternal twins. The coaches are where the differences are and that makes a big difference in how you will use and enjoy your new RV. Newer coaches may have 'instant' hot water and solar battery charging.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis