Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2416 View Post
Pictures areattached
The wheels on our 2016 View are starting to look like yours. I’ve always used mild soap and water to clean, disappointing to hear about and see this type of problem happening on a relatively expensive unit, makes you wonder what’s next. Don’t believe we’ll buy another Winnebago unit when it comes time to replace.
50Golden1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:39 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Thanks you for your reply. I was wondering if many others had the same problem with the wheel cover. I found a local wheel specialty store where they can stripe the old color off and repaint it. He was able to repaint the wheels silver , even though he wasn't sure how it would turn out. It looked good, but started doing some light spotting. But not enough to worry about. He charged four hundred for both front wheels and he even came to the storage place to take them off and returned to put them back on, because he did not have a place big enough at his shop to park and store my Winne. That was at least half the cost of ordering new one from Winnebago plant. I think it was worth it. He wanted to paint the wheels a color he knew would stick better and match the RV. But I like have the chrome look, though he said he had never done that before on that kind of wheel. By the way, in case you didn't know, there is a recall on the Mercedes engine for the parts that affect the exhaust. I just had it done and was surprised to see other RVs lined up at the Mercedes dealer for the same recall. Be sure to get it fixed. It is free. -C
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Chrome plating if not done properly can weaken a wheel which would not be good for a front wheel on any vehicle. I prefer forged aluminum wheels with no chrome plating for this reason.

Clear lacquer spray will help by sealing the surface from the air but will need to be redone periodically. This is often done on factory wheels and I have seen the clear sealer coat starting to flake off after a few years.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

We used to have a Winnebago with the Chrome plated Aluminum wheels. Chrome plating to stick to Aluminum is very difficult. To do it properly, the Aluminum wheel is electroplated with Copper, which will work with electroplating Chrome.

Issue is, as soon as a small chip occurs in the protective finish, any type of moisture can work it's way under the thin chrome and then it starts to flake off.

I am not aware of spray on chrome plating.
Rubidium7 is offline   Reply With Quote