Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Wheel alignment

I have seen numerous posts that one should get their new RV checked out at a wheel alignment shop and pay the $300 or so to have any adjustments made. While on hold waiting to talk to someone at Winnebago custoomer support there was a message that stated that every new Winnebago had its alignment checked and any adjustments made before it left the factory.

Makes sense in several ways as it reduces any liability for Winnebago and avoids a dispute with regard to the tire warranty from the tire manufacturer.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

My RV mechanic told me that unless we’re having an issue, to save the money. We’re not, so I did.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Lichtsinn recommended we do the front alignment after 1000 miles - which we did at our local Sprinter service.

But, we still had a pretty rough ride at highway speeds.

We took our 21VD to a tire place and they were unable to get the front tires to balance. We took the RV back to Sprinter service - and they were also unable to get the tires to balance.

They asked about the "goo" in our tires. Lichtsinn sold us tire sealant as part of our purchase. Sprinter service removed the sealant (cost = $500) and was then able to balance all of the tires.

And when we took a 3500 mile road trip over the last week - we have a smooth ride for the first time since we picked up the RV (we initially thought all Views had a rough ride...).

It's possible we had a tire out of balance when the sealant was added. It's also possible we have a defective tire - though 3500 miles of smooth driving seems to rule that out. Or... the sealant was bad, clumping up and causing the tires to have a rough ride.

So if you're having a rough ride - the front alignment is a first step - and if it's still there, get all of the tires balanced (road force balancing)...

And probably avoid putting any sealant inside the tires...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Upon taking delivery of my new Winnebago Adventurer 27N a few months ago I had the alignment checked and it was quite off. I don't remember now how off it was but I was happy to pay the bucks to have it aligned. To each his own.