Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What size of Sumo springs for View 21V

So I'm getting ready to order my Sumo spring for our 21V, I would like to know what other folks are using? I was thinking the 500# ones for the front and the 900# for the rear. Is this what most/all are using.

I messed up when I ordered my Trik-L-Start and when I received it and opened the package and then seen that is not for lithium batteries and I need the Amp-L-Start instead. So tomorrow I need to call and see if I can return the one and order the one I need.

Thanks
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If I ever get around to it, I'm going with the heavier duty solos. 1000# up front and 1400# rear. These RVs are heavy before you put anything into them, and I think the lighter ones might not help enough. I'll also ask the Super Springs support guys what they think. I asked them before, but that was years ago, and I've lost the correspondence.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #3
2022 Travato 59KL

For my Travato I used the Yellow Sumo Springs. I think most of the Travatos did the yellow. Of course, we are a lot lighter than you.
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/sumo-...xoCGAsQAvD_BwE
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
So I'm getting ready to order my Sumo spring for our 21V, I would like to know what other folks are using? I was thinking the 500# ones for the front and the 900# for the rear. Is this what most/all are using.

I messed up when I ordered my Trik-L-Start and when I received it and opened the package and then seen that is not for lithium batteries and I need the Amp-L-Start instead. So tomorrow I need to call and see if I can return the one and order the one I need.

Thanks
Last year I installed the yellow ones in the rear (heaviest duty), and black ones in the front (medium duty). For the fronts they only had blue or black as a choice. The blue is the lightest duty. For the rear they had all three blue, black, and yellow as choices. I'm satisfied with the ones I have installed. I wouldn't go any lighter duty than what I have from personal preference of better handling.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll be going with the heavy duty ones also.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I installed the 900 in the rear and the Blue 500 in the front. they seem to be working well for me. I find the ride is a lot better. I avoided the heavier because I was afraid of a harsher ride. Everyone will have a different answer. Its a subjective call.
Vince5764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I ordered the 1400# for the rear. My wife and I have had sport cars for years so we like the firmer ride. The 1400#vareon back order so I have to wait till May for them but that is not a problem as I'm scheduled for back surgery for this coming Monday. I have some nerves pinched plus a fractured vertebra. So hopefully this will taker care of it. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Thanks
Contact SUMO directly for recommendations.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Thanks

Before you put in Sumo Springs, you should read this post from a person who has 24K miles on his. I only put the Agile Shocks on mine 2021 View and it helped a lot.

https://www.viewnavion.com/mods/suspension
Freedom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Don’t bother

I have a 2019 View 24V. Based on the experience of many others I did not do the Sumo. Installed a Hellwig sway bar and a set of Foxpro shocks (rear). The front doesn’t really need anything. It made a huge difference. I used to be “white knuckled” at 65mph. Now I can blast past trucks at 80-85 if I need to. No, I don’t drive that fast normally. I keep it at about 65. Here is a link to all the info you need. https://www.viewnavion.com/mods/suspension
RetiredUSCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

2014 view-Just checked and Hellwig and Fox seem to be out of stock/backordered. Anybody know what the wait will be? Or just more Covid uncertainty?
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooolboy View Post
2014 view-Just checked and Hellwig and Fox seem to be out of stock/backordered. Anybody know what the wait will be? Or just more Covid uncertainty?
I did my conversion about 15 months ago. At the time I was able to get the Hellwig sway bar right away. I had to wait about 4 months to get the Foxpro shocks. The demand for these items is probably much greater now. The Covid doesn’t help either. Sorry that it seems you are going to have trouble getting these items. Back then I purchased the Hellwig from Amazon which presently does not have the item. The manufacturer, Hellwig, I think might have it in stock for a 2013/14 depending on which chassis you have, Dodge or Mercedes. Start here https://www.hellwigproducts.com/our-products/. If you order the Foxpro shocks from Agile, I think the order will probably go through but they will tell you “backordered” and won’t tell you how long. Of course they’ll take your money. I took the chance and did get them, 4 months later. All in all, I’m very happy with the mod. Prior to that, holding the rig steady in a high wind was really difficult. After the mod wind is no longer an issue and I can drive with only one hand on the wheel, not that I would recommend that. It’s just that the difference is that great.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago increased its sale last year by nearly 40% and that had a ripple effect of more people buying lots of RV related products. Factories cannot immediately ramp up production by 40% to meet increase demand, and demand that will be greatly reduced next year.

Shocks are for dampening the spring movement and do not by themselves improve stability. The problem is that with a strong cross wind or in a turn there is more than 50% of the weight on one side of the RV.

The Hellwig sway bar will help with a 2014 model but more in terms of its transferring road shocks from one tire to the one on the opposite side which makes for a gentler ride. I put one of their BigWig bars on a heavy pickup and with a 4000 lb load in the bed the ride was no different but when the bed was empty the wheel hop in turns and with one wheel hitting a bump was greatly reduced.

The SumoSprings simply reduce wheel travel and do not increase load capacity and more than the shocks or sway bar. I went with the heavy duty front and rear as I did not want to put in the lighter duty ones for a RV that already seriously overloads the Mercedes chassis. The light duty version would make sense for use on a Sprinter passenger or commercial van but not with a heavy motorhome being supported.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Winnebago increased its sale last year by nearly 40% and that had a ripple effect of more people buying lots of RV related products. Factories cannot immediately ramp up production by 40% to meet increase demand, and demand that will be greatly reduced next year.

Shocks are for dampening the spring movement and do not by themselves improve stability. The problem is that with a strong cross wind or in a turn there is more than 50% of the weight on one side of the RV.

The Hellwig sway bar will help with a 2014 model but more in terms of its transferring road shocks from one tire to the one on the opposite side which makes for a gentler ride. I put one of their BigWig bars on a heavy pickup and with a 4000 lb load in the bed the ride was no different but when the bed was empty the wheel hop in turns and with one wheel hitting a bump was greatly reduced.

The SumoSprings simply reduce wheel travel and do not increase load capacity and more than the shocks or sway bar. I went with the heavy duty front and rear as I did not want to put in the lighter duty ones for a RV that already seriously overloads the Mercedes chassis. The light duty version would make sense for use on a Sprinter passenger or commercial van but not with a heavy motorhome being supported.
I don’t disagree with anything you said. I also agree that the big Winnebago box is an overload for the Sprinter chassis. I don’t understand all the mechanics of it all but when the vehicle was stock I hated it. We drove from PA to FL and on 95 South it was a white knuckled nightmare. 60 was as fast as I dared go. Any wind at all and I had to put a death grip on the wheel to hold it on the road in a straight line. I hated it so much I was going to sell it. I installed the Hellwig sway bar and the FoxPro shocks. After that it drives as easy as my car. I can cruise all day at 75 or more if I want to (I don’t). Wind and trucks are no longer a problem. Anyway, the bigger sway bar and significantly bigger shocks worked for me. My wife is happy that we aren’t selling it.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

substitutes for Hellwig sway/Foxpro shocks

14V- need to get a decent swaybar and shocks on before big trip late May. Hellwig sway bars and Foxpro shocks are back ordered...anybody have experience with another swaybar/shock combination that is adequate? (I would prefer the best but time is not on my side.)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredUSCG View Post
I don’t disagree with anything you said. I also agree that the big Winnebago box is an overload for the Sprinter chassis. I don’t understand all the mechanics of it all but when the vehicle was stock I hated it. We drove from PA to FL and on 95 South it was a white knuckled nightmare. 60 was as fast as I dared go. Any wind at all and I had to put a death grip on the wheel to hold it on the road in a straight line. I hated it so much I was going to sell it. I installed the Hellwig sway bar and the FoxPro shocks. After that it drives as easy as my car. I can cruise all day at 75 or more if I want to (I don’t). Wind and trucks are no longer a problem. Anyway, the bigger sway bar and significantly bigger shocks worked for me. My wife is happy that we aren’t selling it.
Which vehicle do you have (year, model)?
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

14V-I ordered the Hellwig 7524 sway bar from somebody. Due in on Monday. Hope it is the right one and hope they deliver! Interesting point about driving down I 95. Our first intro to RV was a rented one that I nicknamed Wandering Wanda. Went from VA to Florida on I 95. With that constant easterly sea breeze hitting us and the 18 wheelers roaring past, I felt like I was flying a big airplane with a constantly changing crosswind correction being buzzed by other big airplanes (18 wheelers.) Our 14 V is not nearly that squirelly but I am looking forward to at least putting on the sway bar before we trek west.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:23 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

My understanding is that at least for the 2020 and later model years that are on the latest Sprinter chassis, the rear sway bar is beefier than with older vehicles. I put on the Hellwig anyway but it was because my first drive with the new Navion 2021 was a 600 mile one to my house. I had to deal with driving snow and 20 mph and higher wind and so was glad to have had the dealer install the heavy duty version of the SumoSprings front and rear.

Shocks can provide resistance in turns but they do not add load capacity and that is what is needed in a turn or with a cross wind as this shifts weight from one side of the vehicle to the other side which then has to carry more than 50% of the weight.

In my own experience the best way to improve the handling has been to add leaf springs to provide more support. No different than what truck manufacturers do with the use of leaf springs instead of coil springs on their heavy duty models and with the 1-ton having an extra set of springs as compared to the 3/4 ton or 2500 models.

The problem with relying on shocks is that they are not designed for load support, other than the air shock versions, and so they will work harder and wear out much sooner as a result.

SumoSprings do not so much add more payload capacity as they reduce the distance for the suspension bottoming out and so minimize sway on the road. Last I checked the SumoSprings only had a 2-year warranty and so they too are a temporary fix, although one that requires very little labor to install.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I have the HD on order but well not be available till middle of May

This delay is OK as I have had a set back on my health. I'm presently laid up for the next 4 months as I wait for my broken back to heal. Had surgery a week ago last Monday. I'm into my second week now
Old 04-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I got the bigger ones per Sumo contact and am very glad I did. You will love them.
Dougherzog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
view