Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What jack do you have?

New owner of a 06 outlook, no jack to be found. I was wondering what you use, bottle for floor jack?
spyder152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't think that many RV manufacturers are supplying jacks with new RVs. I did not get one with my 2018 Winnebago Fuse, but I don't consider it to be an issue since I would never try to change a tire on an RV myself. For me, that is what emergency roadside assistance packages are for. I use Good Sam's Roadside Assistance and have never had an issue getting help when needed.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have not used a jack in such a long time, I'm not sure why I even have one in the car! On the RV, even the thought of a jack big enough to do the job, makes me wonder if I could get it out if needed, then there is still the problem of getting lug nuts off when they were put on right, so I would need a good compressor, a big jack and a big air tool.
Since I've not had a flat in ten years and admit to being somewhat spoiled, I'm okay with no jack since I don't have a spare either!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Vita 24P

My sprinter based Vita has a bottle jack, just tested it by using it and it works great. My rig also has spare tire. To me this is insurance when the road service fails or shows up 5 hours later on a two lane with traffic flying by. (been there and it sucked) I have added a breaker bar and separate socket for the lugs (177 ftlbs is a lot). If anything maybe a good neighbor can at least help then. I am an old Navy guy, always prepared, and even painted the jacking points bright reflective orange to find in the middle of the night.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Well I like to be prepared and and have everything just in case. I have a class C and it cant be that different than my F350, just heavier.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Vita 24P

Totally agree....
Old 04-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
My sprinter based Vita has a bottle jack, just tested it by using it and it works great. My rig also has spare tire. To me this is insurance when the road service fails or shows up 5 hours later on a two lane with traffic flying by. (been there and it sucked) I have added a breaker bar and separate socket for the lugs (177 ftlbs is a lot). If anything maybe a good neighbor can at least help then. I am an old Navy guy, always prepared, and even painted the jacking points bright reflective orange to find in the middle of the night.
We had a jack and spare tire in an older Class B that we had, and I would agree that changing a tire for a van, even a van RV, is doable. I am not sure I would ever try to change a tire on a larger Class C RV let alone on a Class A regardless of whether or not I had the tire and jack.

Our current Fuse seems much less manageable than our older Pleasure-Way Class B when it comes to changing tires. On the other hand I can see an issue if you are caught in the middle of nowhere with no cell service and a flat tire.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Being prepared is good but that very much depends on what we each have in our situation. I don't feel I can logically be prepared to change a tire on my RV. But that also means I do not go to places where there is no way to get help. If you go to places where nobody will be passing by in a few hours, we do need to figure the odds in a different way.
I doubt that it is possible to get my RV to a point that I do not see somebody every few minutes, let alone being stuck for long enough to worry!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

1. 35' Class A. If I did want to try to change a tire myself, I'd use my built in hydraulic jacks and jack stands for safety. In a pinch, a stack of logs, etc. could suffice in lieu of jack stands. I also carry a couple of bottle jacks, but they're fairly small so I'd need to elevate them and use two.

2. Ford E350 Van - I just purchased a military surplus Hummer M998 jack on ebay based on recommendations from Sportsmobileforum.com plus an Agile frame adapter so it will fit either the frame or axle. I would think this would be ideal for any Class B or smaller Class C. I was skeptical until I looked at the ridiculously small bottle jack that came with my van.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ack-25653.html

The Agile frame adapter isn't cheap at $90, but it, or something similar, is necessary in order to adapt the Hummer jack to fit a conventional frame or axle:

https://agileoffroad.com/product/agi...-jack-adaptor/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

In our 24 ft Class C I carry along a 2-stage, 12-ton hydraulic jack for emergency tire changing. It's two stages allow it to extend higher so as to still provide high enough lift on soft ground surfaces. I also carry along several boards.

One doesn't want to not have a jack along camping at places like this with no cell coverage:
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Our Suncruiser came with a full spare, no jack. We carried a 3 ton floor jack and electric impact wrench. I never had to use them on the road for a flat, but used the jack several times to install chains on ski trips.

No full spare, no jack, and no wrench in the Sunstar. I purchased a tire to carry on long trips, thinking that it's a lot easier to find a place to mount a tire than one with the correct size tire.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #12
Site Team

On my Minnie Winnie 22M, even empty, a three ton floor jack will not lift even one side of the back end. I bought a four ton floor jack, and if empty, I can lift up one side of the rear-end.
For emergency road repair, I carry a bottle jack, breaker-bar, and a special hub-cap pry-bar. If emergency service is available, I probably will just call AAAAA (the automobile club for alcoholics). OK, that last bit was a joke, but I do carry AAA Premier for RVs.
Eagle5
Old 04-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I'm a desert rat so I am not always easily accessable so I will look at 12 ton jacks. Thanks
Old 05-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #14
VFW Post 8639 Okolona Ken

We had a class C with a spair had a 25 ton gack from Habor Fright work very good on it Ronnie.
It it go with rhe C
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We carry an 8 ton bottle jack and blocks. We had 2 flats on a cross country trip last year. The tires were only 5 years old, and we were within weight limits. But replaced all tires when we arrived home.

We carry a spare tire (but not a lot of good when you have two flats in 3 days...(we didn't replace that bad tire immediately). We also carry a fairly comprehensive tool kit--but the
Sprinter would really be hard to work on. I always carry an battery operated impact wrench--and proper size sockets....just in case!
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #16
VFW Post 8639 Okolona Ken

Mine was 25 ton from Habor Fright
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I bought a 20 ton low profile from Harbor Freight. Used it to pull the back wheels to install my air extensions. Works great!
jimkamery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder152 View Post
New owner of a 06 outlook, no jack to be found. I was wondering what you use, bottle for floor jack?
A bottle jack can be stored easer, but if you have floor jack at home it always easer to move it back and forth ,especially it you need to us a board on top of jack.
Cool breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkamery View Post
I bought a 20 ton low profile from Harbor Freight. Used it to pull the back wheels to install my air extensions. Works great!
Did you lift a corner at a time, or the entire back end? I need to take the rear duallies off for some work and am not sure if I can do one corner at a time, or have to do the entire end.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I ended up getting the 20 ton bottle, ordered valve extensions and put them on this afternoon, piece of cake. One corner at a time theSane