Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Vita 24P

What do you Diesel owners use for fuel pumps?

Ok saw a video with a couple that uses TSD Logistics card for purchasing diesel. Another option is Flying J car. What are your opinions since I have not signed up yet?
TSD Logistics RV Fuel Application
Old 01-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

The claim is that they get varying discounts at different Truck Stops when fueling.....
Old 01-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Lots of positive comments on this system on iRV2 Forums
Old 01-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My experience may not be typical but I stopped using those discount sites when stopping for diesel. It has been my experience that the stops offering diesel are more expensive than the ones that do not give discounts and then the discount becomes meaningless. Flying J and the other Truck Stops are often quite a bit higher than some out-of-the-way station that sells diesel, and I just go to those. It is not unusual for me to see 10-15 cent differences and that is probably more than the "discount" being offered by the truck stops.

If I had a Class A instead of a C I might feel differently about that since it might be harder to get in and out of non-truck-stop stations but with our C we don't have a problem.

Personally I just use GasBuddy to find the least expensive diesel in the area where I am refueling and leave it at that.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
Site Team

The TSD Logistics discount is different. It applies to the higher priced outlets, i.e. Loves etc and discounts over $.30 a gallon. They take 10% of your savings as a fee.

Works only for diesel.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

So I guess this is not like the standard Pilot or Flying J "discount" card. I used to use those until I realized that I was paying more for diesel, not less. I will have to look into this because I do occasionally use Loves.

Thanks for responding.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
Site Team

From what I've been told, Loves and other big trucking fuel chains post higher diesel prices, but they've all worked out huge discounts with trucking companies so they don't actually pay those higher prices. TSD Logistics is one of the companies that manages these discount programs for trucking companies.

They figured they could expand these programs for RVers, etc.

The main 'hesitations' people seem to have is that you have to connect your account to a checking account (for cash pricing) and that's the only payment method. Also you don't actually see the discount at the pump being applied. TSD sends you an email a day or so later telling you what you actually paid, how much was deducted from your checking account, how much you saved and how much of the savings they took in payment.

But on IRV2.com everyone that's tried it loves it. Lots of positive reports.

Some folks have set up separate checking accounts just for the TSD fuel withdrawals so they don't have to provide access to their main checking account.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Works for me. You can get almost daily updates of the fuel prices before you buy. The Love's app works great and I have had discounts up to 78 cents a gallon off of the posted price.
Used from WA to TX.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Since I have a class c, view, I can get in and out of almost all standard fuel stations. Using a credit card that gives "points" reward money works best for me. I use my Sam's club credit card that gives me 5% off of fuel without any fees for the first $7,000 of fuel per year. Costco gives 4% I think.

If I overnight at a truck stop I top off at their pumps & or pick up items at their facility as a thanks.

Most Flying-J stops have RV lanes and provide potable water, LP and dumping for a fee. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of time to round up a "authorized" LP person so I usually fill before my LP before hitting the road.

Most often prices at traditional gas stations are up to 30-40 cents per gallon less than the big truck stops. With only a 26 gallon tank it fills fast enough with a standard diesel pump. I have to fuel up several times per day when running the highways and usually am looking to get out from behind the wheel regardless. I would love to be able to avoid fueling in the expensive states but the limited volume makes it almost impossible without risking running out of fuel.

If I had a huge fuel tank I would go the discount card route and take advantage of the high volume pumps at truck stops and only fill up in lower price areas.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Vita 24P

Wow thanks for feedback guys.... I too have the Class C with smaller fuel tank.And yes I too use Sam card with discount.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I use TSD Logistics as a fuel card source. I save 40+ Cents a gallon at many of the truck stops. In many cases it is lower, with that discount, then the local merchants and is more of a savings than 5% cash back.

Here is the link to TSD Logistics Fuel Savings Program on IRV2.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

TSD works great. The discount is much better than any other discount we have found. Biggest discount at love’s. You do have to give them a bank account that they can debit money from. We set up separate account that we keep very little money in just for the TSD card just in case of any fraud
Farmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago view

We use the gas buddy app. and Costco fuel stations. Lots of time, driving a quarter mile can save 50 cents to a dollar. The gas stations along the interstate are all jacked up pricing. We seldom use a station along the interstate. Costco easily be 80 cents to a dollar cheaper. You can also check out stations down the road with the app. for price as each city varies in pricing.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Have used Good Sam Flying J with continuous unpredictability. Sometimes good, often bad. Agree that Sam's Club discount Master Card is good but Sam's Club stations typically don't have diesel.
The lowest diesel prices in the western states are generally at Fred Meyer, Gas Mat and sometimes Cum & Go. These stations are generally out-of-the-way, but coupled with the Sam's credit card discount they offer a good value. Be careful of the diesel grade, B20 (biodiesel) is inexpensive and can cause problems, B2 gets "normal" sustained engine performance.

If you look-up the locations of these suppliers before your trip, you can save a lot.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrude View Post
We use the gas buddy app. and Costco fuel stations. Lots of time, driving a quarter mile can save 50 cents to a dollar. The gas stations along the interstate are all jacked up pricing. We seldom use a station along the interstate. Costco easily be 80 cents to a dollar cheaper. You can also check out stations down the road with the app. for price as each city varies in pricing.
It would be nice to know which Costco locations offer diesel. We use the local one for gas for our car but it does not offer diesel and I have no idea which Costco locations do offer it.

Of course we usually find the lines at the Costco pumps to be annoying long and since Costcos only seem to exist in big urban areas we don't usually see them during our trips.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
The lowest diesel prices in the western states are generally at Fred Meyer, Gas Mat and sometimes Cum & Go. These stations are generally out-of-the-way, but coupled with the Sam's credit card discount they offer a good value. Be careful of the diesel grade, B20 (biodiesel) is inexpensive and can cause problems, B2 gets "normal" sustained engine performance.
We were surprised during one of our trips through western Colorado at the low price of a Cum & Go, but we only saw those stations in a small area.

As for B20, I try to avoid it when I can because it seems to us to offer lower mileage results. Our Winnie Fuse has a Ford diesel and Ford says that B20 is acceptable, but the lower cost seems offset by those lower mileage results.

On our travels the only place we have seen B20 is in Texas of all places.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The TSD Logistics discount is different. It applies to the higher priced outlets, i.e. Loves etc and discounts over $.30 a gallon. They take 10% of your savings as a fee.

Works only for diesel.

Just a question.

Under the TSD Logistics program do you have to use the truck diesel pumps? Or can you use the regular diesel pumps?

We have a smaller Class C RV (Winnie Fuse) and I am not sure that the truck diesel pump nozzle would even fit into the diesel tank neck or if the truck pumps pump too much too quickly for our RV. Just wondering.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Truck pumps

For diesel are no different from each other. Only gas pumps and DEF pumps are different. We use the TDS logistics app while driving to find the diesel orices on our route. We know the price on the pump and the discount before we pump and immediately after we finish it shows up on our app. We know how much the total price will be and what will be deducted from our account. It's usually deducted 24 to 48 hours later. We have a 40 ft class A so we don't fit into regular gas stations. We saved $50 on our first visit.
megthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Ok saw a video with a couple that uses TSD Logistics card for purchasing diesel. Another option is Flying J car. What are your opinions since I have not signed up yet?
Gas buddy will save up to 50cents per gallon. Use a credit card that gives a % and make real savings. Check for card price a cash price - it’s not always clear.
The price reduction through using Good Sam’s isn’t worth a candle when the basic cost is considerably higher.
MarinerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:08 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Pilot Flying J issues official statement on diesel discount debacle

FYI, a statement on RV Travel about the end of the TSD fuel discount program at Flying J/Pilot. This does not affect Love's.

Tags
diesel, fuel