Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water tank overflowing?

I have a new 2019 Mini Winnie. This is my first motorhome. This weekend I’m at an RV Park and plugged a hose into the city water for the first time. 2 day’s later I wake up and the tank is overflowing. The water is running out of the overflow just above the drivers side rear tire. I have turned off the water from the spigot to the City water. How is the city water running into the tank water tank and causing it to overflow? Thanks for your help, Allen
Old 07-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Read the owner's manual under plumbing and connecting to city water. There's a valve that has to be changed from the "fill tank" to "supply/pressurize house" setting. I'm not familiar with your specific valve location or setting, but it will be in the manual.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the response. Wife just informed me she turned the pump on out of habit to take a shower. In the manual it states there is no valve that needs to be turned when we use the city water and it’s built into the pump. Still learning. Thanks, Allen
Old 07-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

On your unit, do you have a single fill port or two alongside each other? Possible one to fill tank and the other to use pressure water, or only one combined? Mechanism for tank flushing or none? Look like one of these versions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fill two.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	174252  
Attached Images

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have 2 separate inlets for the water, one for filling the tank and one for city water. Thank you for the post, Allen
Old 07-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Okay, did a look at the parts catalog to see how it works out and it does look like you have the right idea on the pump! A bit hard to see with all the pipes but if you trace the green lines/arrows on this snip of parts drawing, you can see it comes in on the city water fill, crosses over the tank to the back to an el which goes straight down and to your lines, but it passes a tee going to the pump on the way! The tee takes water off the incoming, through the pump and then down to a connection on the backside of the tank.
Pump running opens a path to fill the tank while actually thinking you are on city water pressure.
If interested in downloading the 3d program to a computer, this link has super drawings that can show all kinds of amazing things about your new Rv--- just in case:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Enjoy the new RV! They all have their special little odd points to learn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	174254   Click image for larger version

Name:	water2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	174255  

Old 07-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacordy View Post
Thank you for the response. Wife just informed me she turned the pump on out of habit to take a shower. In the manual it states there is no valve that needs to be turned when we use the city water and it’s built into the pump. Still learning. Thanks, Allen
So, only use the pump when not on city/shore water?
Learn something new, that Winnebago has changed, every day.
That's a first for me, and mine is a 2018 with the dual setting valve.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I don't know that we can make a firm rule for all RV, since this is the first time I've seen the dual inlet ports. I'm guessing it came down to being cheaper to build a second port for filling the tank without the diverter valve than to go with what they often do. Seems there must be some form of check valve or restriction in the pump that keeps the water from passing through except as the pump is running. But that also may make the pump a bit different design that we are used to seeing on lots of RV.
A second point that I don't see (but may be there) is the suction tube for drawing antifreeze in to winterize. Seems like that would make doing it that way a bigger job.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I don't know that we can make a firm rule for all RV, since this is the first time I've seen the dual inlet ports. I'm guessing it came down to being cheaper to build a second port for filling the tank without the diverter valve than to go with what they often do. Seems there must be some form of check valve or restriction in the pump that keeps the water from passing through except as the pump is running. But that also may make the pump a bit different design that we are used to seeing on lots of RV.
A second point that I don't see (but may be there) is the suction tube for drawing antifreeze in to winterize. Seems like that would make doing it that way a bigger job.
I meant what I said about pump/no pump, for the OP, not everyone. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I mentioned that my system has the diverter valve, but perhpas not clear, either.

Tags
tank, water