Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Pump

After checking fuses I just discovered on my Itasca Spirit that the water pump doesn't work unless the unit is plugged in to 110v or the on board generator receptacle .
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seon View Post
After checking fuses I just discovered on my Itasca Spirit that the water pump doesn't work unless the unit is plugged in to 110v or the on board generator receptacle .
I've never seen a RV with anything but a 12V water pump as factory equipment. Did someone install a 120V pump?
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Makes no sense. RVing needs freedom from commercial power. Something is very wrong with your RV. Someone modified it.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

One explanation would be that you have your Coach Battery Switch operated, in that situation there would be no power to the pump except when your converter charger was operating from shore power.

The pump is 12 volt operated.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Make sure your house batteries are charged and the battery disconnect switch is turned on. Plugged in or generator it is running off the converter which supplies 12v to the coach and charges the batteries.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

All comments appreciated.

It just baffled me when during the last camping trip that the water pump didn't work until I plugged the main power cord into the generator receptacle w/o the genset running.
I did check the house battery at that time with an ohm meter that read 12.85v. Strange indeed.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:

It just baffled me when during the last camping trip that the water pump didn't work until I plugged the main power cord into the generator receptacle w/o the genset running.
I did check the house battery at that time with an ohm meter that read 12.85v. Strange indeed.

I do hope you did not just fall into the Black Hole of RV service! A 'I think I know it all' mechanic may have just robbed you. 12.85V is a fully charged battery and the pump can't pull that much to drop the voltage to unusable. I truly hope I am wrong here in my thinking about the shop. A loose connection on the battery terminal or poor ground connection would give the same failure of the pump. Check the battery date and make certain these are not your batteries polished up.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

You still have to turn the battery switch on. Your coach has a 12V disconnect switch (usually near the door). Normally it is connected to a 12V relay that does the actual power switch. You should hear a click when the switch is on.

So you could have 1) a bad switch; or 2) a bad relay.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:

As I am understanding you to write, "The generator was not running and you were not connected to shore power, and the water pump would not run until you plugged the power cord into the generator receptacle."
Looking at your history of posts on this forum, I believe this RV is new to you in the last few months.

Very strange. I guess the think which comes to mind is that somewhere along the line you could me missing a ground at the water pump.

I suggest you use your voltmeter to measure the voltage at the water pump. Start by having the shore power cord not plugged into the generator receptacle and the water pump switch turned on. Then measure the voltage from the plus lead to a good frame ground, then to the ground wire for the water pump. Also check for 12V from the ground wire to frame ground, just in case someone got the wires reversed. Then plug the shore power cord into the generator and measure again. Hopefully this will point you in the right direction.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Looking at your history of posts on this forum, I believe this RV is new to you in the last few months.

Very strange. I guess the think which comes to mind is that somewhere along the line you could me missing a ground at the water pump.

I suggest you use your voltmeter to measure the voltage at the water pump...

Thanks for your reply. Will check before our next camping trip, but in the mean time I've got to go Salmon fishing .
Old 06-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

When you are connected to a 120VAC power supply, everything powered by 12VDC still runs through the battery bank anyway. It the pump runs at all it is not missing any electrical connection. When you checked battery voltage, were you connected to shore/generator power? If you were the voltage reading should have been above 13VDC, as the charger should have been inputting at least a maintenance/float charge to the battery bank.
If the interior lights work, the battery disconnect switch is on.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Wife and I will be heading out this Friday Jul 6 so before then, will check battery voltage when plugged into 110. Thx
Old 07-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

There are switches on my Itasca dash where you can isolate the outside entertainment center, the coach radio and the 12 volt lights from the starter batttery. Make sure the switch is set properly to coach 12 volt.
Cheers and good luck.
Paj54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump