Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2019, 04:32 AM   #1
bkg
Winnebago Owner

View/Navion tire stem extensions - Alcoa rims

I need tire stem extenders for our View, particularly for the rear wheel set.
The outside rear wheel (aluminum rim) the stem points to the inside wheel. I would imagine a 180 degree extender is the best?
Then I want to extend the rear inner wheel stem (steel rim) but I don't want something that flops around. I realize there is hardware to hold stem extenders but experience has taught me they don't stay in place.

Any recommendations from owners that have been tried and make it functional to check tire pressures?

Bobby
Old 03-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We have the same wheels and extenders on our new to us View and as always we use our truck tire gauge to check those wheels and it works fine;

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Tr.../dp/B003N30IOE
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
We have the same wheels and extenders on our new to us View and as always we use our truck tire gauge to check those wheels and it works fine;
Thanks, however - yes, I already have the "truckers" tire gauge. Although my original post stated for checking pressure, but the intent is all things with the tires, pressure check as well as adding pressure. Not an easy feat without the proper extensions or the proper air chuck to maneuver around the duels.

I had a Class C E450 that had SS wheel liners. It came with plastic straw type extenders which didn't hold out more than a month. I went the SS braided for inside wheels and 45* for outside. It took 3 tries going to Camping World and truck stop to finally find something that worked. Hoping to find someone that already did the modification with satisfaction.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg View Post
Thanks, however - yes, I already have the "truckers" tire gauge. Although my original post stated for checking pressure, but the intent is all things with the tires, pressure check as well as adding pressure. Not an easy feat without the proper extensions or the proper air chuck to maneuver around the duels.

I had a Class C E450 that had SS wheel liners. It came with plastic straw type extenders which didn't hold out more than a month. I went the SS braided for inside wheels and 45* for outside. It took 3 tries going to Camping World and truck stop to finally find something that worked. Hoping to find someone that already did the modification with satisfaction.
We have a "truckers" air chuck for the home compressor and it works fine for us.
The PO did add short extensions to rear inner tires and we added alligator valve stem caps to all six tires for convenience.

https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B.../dp/B014VCY3S2
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have Alcoas on an older Class C. I got my (Borg) valve extensions here:
https://www.shinyrv.com

Might give them a look. I found them great to work with and the installation cost at Les Schwab Tire was very reasonable ....... they said that was because all they have to do is break the tire's bead; no complete tire dismount needed.

Good luck and safe travels.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Do not buy extensions but invest in some Borg dually valve stems. They replace the original valve stems with ones that are pre-bent to fit your wheels. They will require installation at a tire shop.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post

Might give them a look. I found them great to work with and the installation cost at Les Schwab Tire was very reasonable ....... they said that was because all they have to do is break the tire's bead; no complete tire dismount needed.

This is definitely the way to go. And, just to get the terminology straight, the Borgs are "extended valve stems" that replace the original valve stems. "Valve extensions" attach to, and extend the original valve stems, thereby adding an additional point of potential failure or leaks.

The Borgs are definitely the way to go if you plan on installing a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Their rigid, metal construction minimizes any adverse movement caused by the weight of the TPMS sensors as the tires rotate.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post

At, that's a bit more of what I was looking for, however, these are in- rim stems that extend replacing the factory supplied rim stems.
I was hoping to get thread-on extension recommendations.
https://www.shinyrv.com/product/dual...free-shipping/
bkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had solid extensions from Dually Valve stems installed on my Navion. They are easily accessible now and I don't fight attaching the air chuck when I need to. RVI TPMS system to go with it.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This is definitely the way to go. And, just to get the terminology straight, the Borgs are "extended valve stems" that replace the original valve stems. "Valve extensions" attach to, and extend the original valve stems, thereby adding an additional point of potential failure or leaks.

The Borgs are definitely the way to go if you plan on installing a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Their rigid, metal construction minimizes any adverse movement caused by the weight of the TPMS sensors as the tires rotate.
I agree that in-rim stem extensions would be the BEST compared to extensions screwed on the factory stems. However, I wasn't looking into tire de-mount. As mentioned earlier, I worked out extensions on my E450, it just wasn't plug-n-play on the first 2 attempts.

I don't intend to install TMPS. Just want a method to use my gauge type pressure check. I have the truckers slide stick pressure but prefer a dial gauge. Not easy with stock stems on the dually. Similar issue with adding air.

Thanks all for the input!!
Old 03-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Don’t use any flexible extenders. Use solid rim mount solid extenders used for trucks.
Drbtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Valve stem extensions

Valve stem extensions are a bad bet in my opinion. I took my rig to a tire shop that serviced big trucks and had them pull the tires and replace the valve stems with solid long stems bent correctly for my rims. It cost me about $60 more than extensions, but they never vibrate loose or leak air.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Tires de not need to be de-mounted to install dually stems, they only need to be deflated, one side of the bead seal broken, then the longer stem may be installed,tire reinflated and put back on vehicle.Don't need rebalancing either.
Have you considered using a digital truck tire pressure gauge? Digital is more accurate than analog or scale type gauges.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I was having the same problems with the breaded stems that come standard on my 2019 Outlook with Ford 350 chassis I took mine back to the dealer and had ridged metal truck stems for the rear dulies. Little pricy but better than replacing a blow out for under pressure tires.
Oldmanlampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I also wouldn't use the extensions. Have the preformed rigid extended stems installed. I had them installed when I got new tires.https://www.shinyrv.com/product/ To many people have reported problems with the extensions.
djswinnebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:54 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Valve extension help

While I have a 2017 Winnebago Fuse the solution I discovered may help you. Like your View my outer rear wheel valve stems point inward so that I had to remove the stainless wheel covers (a pain) to check or add air with a back angle head. After several tries I found that the 135 degree Wheel Master rigid extensions have the perfect angle. To make these stable Borg makes neoprene disks that fit in the hole in the wheel. With the extension securely held in the hole in the center of the disk the extensions work great. The outer wheel doesn’t have to be removed to install these but it is easier to do so. Good luck!
MIFuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:10 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFuse View Post
While I have a 2017 Winnebago Fuse the solution I discovered may help you. Like your View my outer rear wheel valve stems point inward so that I had to remove the stainless wheel covers (a pain) to check or add air with a back angle head. After several tries I found that the 135 degree Wheel Master rigid extensions have the perfect angle. To make these stable Borg makes neoprene disks that fit in the hole in the wheel. With the extension securely held in the hole in the center of the disk the extensions work great. The outer wheel doesn’t have to be removed to install these but it is easier to do so. Good luck!
Thank you, I was actually replying to another guys question about valve extensions. It appears I wrote it in the wrong place. DJ
djswinnebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

tire valve stem extenders

I have cross fires installed on my Vista 30T, this is the second motorhome I have had them on. I like them as they provide instant air pressure readings by simply looking at the gage and since they are tied together there is just the one air fitting to fill both tires. The Cross Fires assure that both tires are always at the same air pressure. If there is a blow out they have a valve that shuts off air flow between the tires and the good tires stays inflated. I had over 150 thousand miles on my DP with them and had one problem with a leak in all that time.
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

To anyone who thinks to put these on tires with the tire pressure sensing TPMS devices please note. The TPMS for the automobile are aluminum and putting a steel cap on the aluminum stem will cause dissimilar metal conductive corrosion. I ruined the TPMS ON MY CAR By USING STEEL VALVE CAPS AND IT WAS EXPENSIVE TO FIX. However, using them on standard valve stems looks like a good idea for some applications.
dawa106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFuse View Post
The 135 degree extension is what I went with. My inquiry was more about what worked better for the outer wheel of the dually set. I couldn't decide on the 180 degree or the 135 degree. I went with the 135 degree since it appears to follow the contour of the Alcoa rim.
For all others replies, I appreciate the input. The word "extension" was not really the right word, but rather "adapter". However, even the 135 degree adapter is called an extension.
For the Alcoa rear rims the tire valve is already a steel Borg like valve stem.
Now the inner rim (Mercedes OEM steel) has a standard rubber stem with a poly extender. I can reach the OEM stem without the extender so it was removed.
Whenever I take the inside tire off I plan to upgrade those stems to the steel/brass Borgs