Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #281
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorRover View Post
What kind of dingy are any of you towing and have you had any issues? I am thinking about a Jeep Wrangler, Road Master tow bar and Road Master invisibrake system.
We flat tow a 2008 Honda CRV, Roadmaster base plate and Sterling all terrain tow bar and Even brake proportional system.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #282
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydog View Post
Just purchased a 2016 View24j and I have a question about the water pump.
Our pump pulses on and off during operation, is this normal? On our other RV the pump only comes on and off with the water being turned on.
Pump should only run when running water.
Problem may be a slight leak, a dripping faucet, any loss of presure will cause the system to re-pressurize.

There is a method of testing your system without crawling around looking for that invisible leak.
You know that process of blowing out your lines to winterize, place pressure gauge on at that same place add air (less than 45 psi) to the system see if it bleeds off pressure.
If no loss your lines do not have a leak, your faucets have no leak. If you loose pressure you now need to eliminate one line at a time.

PM me if you need more info.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #283
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
What kind of dingy are any of you towing and have you had any issues? I am thinking about a Jeep Wrangler, Road Master tow bar and Road Master invisibrake system.
I have a Wrangler I'm considering towing, but it would be at the upper limit of the GVWR as I have added skid plates, armor and bumpers plus larger tires. My Wrangler weighs in at 4400 lbs., and even though I've been told by a reputable mechanic (not a sales person) that I'd have no problem, I'm still undecided. My other option I'm considering is a new Miata (2200 lbs.) but I can't find a base plate application for the new 2016 model.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #284
Winnebago Camper

Icon, from everything I have read and heard, you should be fine if you have not maxed out your coach capabilities.
SeniorRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #285
Winnebago Camper

"Just purchased a 2016 View24j and I have a question about the water pump.
Our pump pulses on and off during operation, is this normal? On our other RV the pump only comes on and off with the water being turned on."

Thanks to all that responded, but I was a little unclear with my question.

The pump doesn't run with the water off, but it does pulse on and off, on and off, etc while I'm using water instead of staying on contentiously.

I would expect the pump to start when the faucet is opened, then stop when the faucet is shut off? Only cycling once.

Thank you for your help.
Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #286
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Icon, from everything I have read and heard, you should be fine if you have not maxed out your coach capabilities.
Thanks for the feedback. We just picked up a 2006 Mazda Miata MX-5 for a really good price and will now prepare it for towing. At 2300 lbs. I know we won't have a weight problem, and it will be a blast to get around in!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #287
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
"Just purchased a 2016 View24j and I have a question about the water pump.
Our pump pulses on and off during operation, is this normal? On our other RV the pump only comes on and off with the water being turned on."

Thanks to all that responded, but I was a little unclear with my question.

The pump doesn't run with the water off, but it does pulse on and off, on and off, etc while I'm using water instead of staying on contentiously.

I would expect the pump to start when the faucet is opened, then stop when the faucet is shut off? Only cycling once.

Thank you for your help.
Ok checked out mine to be sure how things worked.
Mine ran when pressure lowered but shut off if I was just running one faucet, two faucets kept the pressure low enough to run continuously, shut off several seconds after the faucets were turned off.

If yours is working the same, that sound like it is functioning as mine is.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:00 AM   #288
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
Ok checked out mine to be sure how things worked.
Mine ran when pressure lowered but shut off if I was just running one faucet, two faucets kept the pressure low enough to run continuously, shut off several seconds after the faucets were turned off.

If yours is working the same, that sound like it is functioning as mine is.
Thank you, I've been adding a few things and have to be careful with the weight, additional solar panels, Winegard Dish, 6volt batteries, shelving, etc. I'll post some pics soon, love to see some other mods?

Can't wait to get to some parks where I can't get a class A.
Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #289
Winnebago Camper

When you get your Sprinter serviced, oil change, etc., do you have to take it to a Mercedes authorized service center or can you have general service work done by someone else and not void the warranty?
SeniorRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #290
Winnebago Camper

Problem with stairs retracting

I would assume others have had this problem but I don't know how to fix it. I have a 2014 View 24G and the stairs power open just fine. However, they won't retract when I close the door, even when I set it to close on door close. They do retract when I start the engine, so I can drive the RV just fine. However, I want to set the stairs to close when I close the door, and this is not because of a switch setting as we have tried the switches every way. Help!!!!
Cruizer Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 PM   #291
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
When you get your Sprinter serviced, oil change, etc., do you have to take it to a Mercedes authorized service center or can you have general service work done by someone else and not void the warranty?
If you are at an authorized RV Dealer of Winnebago or Itasca, you should be fine.

My dealer is a large one located north of Seattle, other people go to this dealer. When I had my engine oil changed, they used 10W-40 oil. I was shocked and asked why they did not use synthetic oil. They said the owner's manual said 10W-40 is just fine. I am sure others here have had that happen. How many miles can I drive on this oil? Next time I will go to a MB Dealer and get the good oil.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:32 PM   #292
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer Bill View Post
If you are at an authorized RV Dealer of Winnebago or Itasca, you should be fine.

My dealer is a large one located north of Seattle, other people go to this dealer. When I had my engine oil changed, they used 10W-40 oil. I was shocked and asked why they did not use synthetic oil. They said the owner's manual said 10W-40 is just fine. I am sure others here have had that happen. How many miles can I drive on this oil? Next time I will go to a MB Dealer and get the good oil.
You don't have to take it to the dealer but you must use the proper fluids. This is the link to the Mercedes specifications.

Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid

The weight of the oil, 0W30, 5W30, 5W40, etc is not as critical as using the latest rated oil that creates less soot. The proper oil to use is one with a rating of 229.52, which supersedes oil with a rating of 229.51, ESP, these specifications will be on the bottle.
The most important thing is that it has the ESP on the bottle as this is formulated for our turbo diesel engines.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:16 AM   #293
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I would assume others have had this problem but I don't know how to fix it. I have a 2014 View 24G and the stairs power open just fine. However, they won't retract when I close the door, even when I set it to close on door close. They do retract when I start the engine, so I can drive the RV just fine. However, I want to set the stairs to close when I close the door, and this is not because of a switch setting as we have tried the switches every way. Help!!!!
It sounds like the motor and retract mechanisms are working.

On the hinge side of the door are a couple of buttons, these actually act as switches when closing the door. Make sure they are not missing, stuck, or otherwise out of place. They are likely the problem, one may have failed. I will check to see if they are fused tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:42 AM   #294
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much! I will check for the switches tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 AM   #295
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

seems that they screwed up and didn't want to dump 13 quarts of oil.

since I changed over to full synthetic on all my engines many years ago. I've never had issues with them and use the hell out of them... from lawn mowers and other lawn tools, motorcylces (2 over 100k), autos (always run the mileage over 100k) and never had problems related to oil. Changed synthetic every 8-9 k.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #296
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
You don't have to take it to the dealer but you must use the proper fluids. This is the link to the Mercedes specifications.

Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid

The weight of the oil, 0W30, 5W30, 5W40, etc is not as critical as using the latest rated oil that creates less soot. The proper oil to use is one with a rating of 229.52, which supersedes oil with a rating of 229.51, ESP, these specifications will be on the bottle.
The most important thing is that it has the ESP on the bottle as this is formulated for our turbo diesel engines.
After thinking about your oil issue
I would drain the non-conforming oil and replace it with the correct oil.
These engines and turbos are just to expensive to take a chance.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #297
Winnebago Camper

A new question.

The holding tanks. Are they in an enclosed heated water bay, or are they hanging in the open under the frame?

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #298
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
A new question.

The holding tanks. Are they in an enclosed heated water bay, or are they hanging in the open under the frame?

Jim
Jim, the black and gray tanks in my 24V are exposed to the elements for the most part, the fresh water tank is a little more protected, but not insulated. The tanks do have heating pads on them to help keep them from freezing, but I think some of the exposed plumbing would freeze before the tank contents does. I don't use my rig in the winter so I don't worry about freezing weather after I winterize.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #299
Winnebago Camper

Well, I found the switches and they look just fine. That is not the problem.

About the engine oil, I checked a plastic bottle of engine oil for the numbers you mentioned and did not find any such numbers. Guess they don't print those spec numbers on the product labeling. My oil just said 10W-40 and SAE number on it.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:16 AM   #300
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Well, I found the switches and they look just fine. That is not the problem.

About the engine oil, I checked a plastic bottle of engine oil for the numbers you mentioned and did not find any such numbers. Guess they don't print those spec numbers on the product labeling. My oil just said 10W-40 and SAE number on it.
I used a little steel wool to "shine" those switches

And....if the oil does not have the proper spec # on the bottle...don't use it. Don't even add one proper spec # oil to another proper spec #

Napa puts Mobil 1 on sale ($5.99 per quart) every few months. Buy it, keep 3 cases (plus 1qt) on hand for the right time.

Be deathly afraid of the wrong fluids being used in your MB.....expenses for the wrong use are horrendous, the paraffin filter, for one issue, can be easily clogged.