Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #161
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
We too had a rock from a truck hit our windshield. It was "somewhat" fixed by those kits but....

Exactly, how did you get a free windshield?
It was covered by our RV Insurance. We have a policy with Progressive, costs us $757 a year.
Cruizer Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #162
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Interesting. Just came from Lichtsinn, Iowa and they had no clue why our 2014 View had a loud and annoying rattle. We've taken our View Profile G to two authorized dealers (Lexington, KY and Forest City, IA) and neither could figure out where the rattle comes from.
There is a ventilation flap on the outside above the range. Put some insulation under it or just tape it shut when you are driving. That noise drove me nuts until the dealer told me about it! Sounds like popcorn popping. The fancy way is to use nice stick-on insulation under the bottom of the flap and let it bang against the rubber insulation. I just duct-taped my flap shut.
Cruizer Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #163
Winnebago Camper

Onan 3.2 Diesel Gen

Our gen. consumes about .5 to .75 ounces oil per hour. We use it at off-road motorcycle races and usually run 45 hours continuous pulling 17-20 amps. This is our first generator and had no idea they consumed so much oil. When it shut down on low oil pressure I started checking morning and evening and adding oil. I found no information on average oil consumption on the various forums. Contacted Onan tech. assistance and was told there is no average due to different loads, etc.. but consumption is not considered excessive until it reaches 2 ounces per cylinder per hour.
Would like input from other members with diesel generators.
bdsjss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #164
Winnebago Camper

I don't have a diesel gen but I worked for a Cat dealer for 34 years and my son works for KTM Racing . Just some info for you . If you get a chance check your oil consumption when you have run with a light load then again under heavy load . Your oil consumption should actually be less under heavy load. Also get a oil sample kit from your local Cat dealer it will let you know if you sucked dirt causing the consumption . If you motorcross keep a god check on air filter and breathers with all the dust in the air.
Silver bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #165
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for this info. My wife and I are planning for retirement this coming July 2015 and interested in a NAVION/VIEW. We live in Washington near Seattle.. and wondering if it's worth traveling to IOWA. Do you get a really great deal to make it worth the trip?

Quote:
Per DNA questions:

Not sure I can answer all you Qs as this is our first RV and just finished second trip. View handles well on road - I was reluctant to buy anything but a B thinking I'd hate driving it. The G with slide out bed is a semi hassle for moving and setting up but getting hang of it. Only 2 of us and 2 cats so no need to sleep more. Might have gone with M - I think that is version with odd king bed. Wife liked G because of more counter space and she is into cooking. She is a nurse (as well as lawyer, social scientist, and once a programmer) and the fact that the Bs we looked at used same sink for toilet and cooking grossed her out.

TV are no options (except for 2nd & 3rd ones) but included. Inverter was nice two nights we had no electric hookup. Not sure what large vent is. We have Mercedes diesel and are getting 15 to 16 mpg. Only 15 this last trip but drive with air on all trip as it was hot.

We bought from Lichtsinn in Forest City as we wanted to break in the diesel engine. Since then we have learned they are great on service. Had a problem with awning "fixed" at dealer in Lexington who made it worse. On recent Iowa trip took it to Lichtsinn and they fixed it quickly plus corrected the other dealer's mistake. Heard a similar story from friends who bought a used Winnebago.

We bought new (22% discount off the MR?? something) and they gave us a checklist of all options. Went with propane generator which works fine. Might have chosen fan rather than skylight if we had a do over.

Hope this is helpful.
SgtSaunders6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #166
Winnebago Watcher

Have you ever seen a Leisure Travel Unity? I am asking because I just bought one, hope I did the right choice.
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #167

Yes, loved the murphy bed model, but I plan to go for months at a time so took it off my list...Darn it.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #168
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSaunders6 View Post
Thanks for this info. My wife and I are planning for retirement this coming July 2015 and interested in a NAVION/VIEW. We live in Washington near Seattle.. and wondering if it's worth traveling to IOWA. Do you get a really great deal to make it worth the trip?
We bought ours in Iowa this past October. We didn't do it for the greatest $$ deal. We went there because of their reputation for doing a great job with set-up and PDI with the new owners. After delivery they have you "camp" in their parking lot (electric hook ups, water and dump sites available) for a day or two to make sure everything is working and that you know how to use it. It meant a 1300-1400 mile round trip for us but it was definitely worth it. We've never had better service.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #169
Winnebago Camper

Have you driven anything else? I think renting a few times really convinced us the View was the way to go! The handling vs the old E series Fords is sensational. That said we will put a few more miles / years on our 24G & watch the new series Ford Transits to appear with Winnebago bodies on them, here's why; (and it's my only serious worry with the MB Chassis) SERVICE locations. MB Sprinters cannot be serviced by anyone but MB Sprinter dealers. NOT even MB car dealerships! This puts you hundreds of miles between service.

I would buy from a dealer like Lichsen (sp?) or CW and spend a week+ shaking down in the area. We bought our 24g ( the only model we would consider -wish it had the cab over sleeping) "used" with 2700 miles. What a find! We bought the unit Dec 2013 & it's a 2012. For 37$k off msrp.

Check out the "View/Navion" group on FB.. It's easier, we answer tech questions, post pictures & brag. Ha! If you're passing thru Colorado give us a heads up 719 646 5003 & we might join you at a campsite for a day or two.

I'm not into a lot of modifications, as I dont want to bugger up Warranties.

Make sure whichever body you get you have the 3500 MB series for most towing capacity. We don't tow (yet) rather rent a car. Our pattern of camping is we move often & like the agility of the 24.5 ' (New ones are 25.5). We do not stuff things into every nook & cranny- don't over load!

The Sprinters are great, we still work & managed 8k+ miles this year! Happy Camping! Dave n Chris
Wdbeadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #170
Winnebago Owner

I have not driven anything else and was not hot on the idea of getting an RV. I was wrong - love it. Wife grew up in family that always had RV, trailer, or 5th Wheel and she drove some of the big boys.

We try to stay in one place for 4 days or more. We like to hike, bike, and kayak and we travel with our two Maine Coon cats (rescues). Hope to make it to Colorado next summer but off to Florida (State Parks) for much of the winter.

We did 10,000 miles but had to make two unexpected 1,500 mile trips each to help a relative with health problems. And we don't tow.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #171
Winnebago Owner

We too love Lichtsinn. But we found ourselves in Iowa with another problem and they were booked for month. We found a dealer down the road in Boone, Iowa with a great service guy. He was able to diagnose and fix a "rattle noise" problem even Lichtsinn could not find. If you heard a rattle behind the driver, try oiling the tracks at the bottom of the slideout. After thousand of annoying miles with this noise driving without it is a pure pleasure.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #172
Winnebago Camper

Can you provide the name of the service center in Boone IA? Thanks
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #173
Winnebago Owner

Moffitt's Inc.
1819 SE Marshall Street
Boone, Iowa 50036
515-432-6336
They are basically a Lincoln / Ford dealership but also a mini Winnebago dealer.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #174
DMA
Winnebago Camper

I am picking up our 2015 Navion J with running Model Changes on Monday.
J is now 25.5 feet long
Large(er) windows
Awning LED lighting and outdoor speakers now standard

Bringing it home to west Knoxville, TN Tuesday.
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #175
Winnebago Camper

If you want to play the radio on your trip home I suggest using the rear one as the quality of the front speakers sucks
Silver bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #176
Winnebago Owner

But changing channels is more difficult.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #177
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, did you order yours or buy one on the lot? We want a lighter interior, most are brown. I read where the View and Navion have a heavier frame and take bumps better. Also, they have a 5000 lb towing ability instead of 3500. Does this heavier frame make the gas mileage lower? We want to find a used 24G, but there are not many out there. We really like the floorplan and the mileage on the diesel.
Headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #178
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver bike View Post
If you want to play the radio on your trip home I suggest using the rear one as the quality of the front speakers sucks
Maybe something is defective? Mine works fine on the 2015, and worked fine on the 2011.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #179
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headingout View Post
Hi, did you order yours or buy one on the lot? We want a lighter interior, most are brown. I read where the View and Navion have a heavier frame and take bumps better. Also, they have a 5000 lb towing ability instead of 3500. Does this heavier frame make the gas mileage lower? We want to find a used 24G, but there are not many out there. We really like the floorplan and the mileage on the diesel.
I'm not aware of any change in the frame of the Sprinter 3500 and the 11030 lb. GVWR is the same as it has always been. There is a Mercedes factory HD suspension option available for the 3500, but the View/Navion has always been equipped with that. Also, since Sprinter-based Class C RVs almost always run near (hopefully near, most likely above) max GVWR then towing capacity is usually limited by the GCWR, not the tow rating, meaning it will be less than 5,000 lbs. But most report that they do pretty well with a light toad.

In terms of mileage, hard to make any kind of apples-to-apples comparison between the 2500 and 3500 because there is no View/Navion on a 2500 chassis. But regardless the vehicle has always had enviable and class-leading mileage capabilities due to the efficient and capable Mercedes 3.0 diesel. Most owners report 15-17 mpg and as all know an equivalent gas vehicle will barely manage half that.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #180
Winnebago Camper

View & Navion appear to run the 3500 Chassis which has a 5k # towing capacity. Other body's appear to use the 2500 Chassis which is only a 3500 # tow capacity.

I was told stiffer frame & suspension in rear.

Go to FACEBOOK View / Navion for easier discussions. Dave ;-)
Wdbeadles is offline   Reply With Quote