Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #101
Winnebago Camper

P.S. Another reason the salesman may be steering you away from diesel is that I think the Onan 3200QD (their small diesel genset) is currently unavailable from Onan, from what I've read they're coming out with a new model but no availability date yet. So it may not be possible to order new View/Navion/etc. units with a diesel generator right now and the salesman doesn't want to take a chance of complicating the sale.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #102
Winnebago Camper

Hi, we're a little new to motorhomes - what is DEF?

Thanks,
John
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:06 AM   #103
Winnebago Owner

We went with the new one for the same reasons you outlined - similar price, no old ones, warranty, and new features.

Yes, speed bumps are a problem.

Rear tires aren't that hard to check air pressure once you get the hub caps off. They have extended valves. Bought an $8 tool to take them off and gauge that checks "both ways."

We found the hot water heater heats up the RV too much in warm weather - but was nice when driving to Florida in January. We usually just boil some water in microwave and add cold to do dishes. In fact, we often pre-heat water in microwave before using it on stove (soft/hard boiled eggs, pasta) to save on propane. But then, only the furnace seems to guzzle propane and except to two cold Iowa nights without electric, we use a small space heater.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #104
DMA
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to Elektron and SocioSam for great input. More to ponder. Guess we are going to have to see both the G and V. Unfortunately there are no units Nav/Views in the greater Knoxville, TN area. I was thinking V for not having to expose a slide, more stealth faster getaway. My Wife and I are both light sleepers and with the queen, G I will be on the inflatable couch for sure.

I am surprised that on demand water heaters haven't caught up with the design team. They have to be on the way?

With the units being so popular and flying off the lots, maybe we will find a low mile used one late next year. $100K and 80K is still 20K delta and a BIG difference. There was recently a 2012, IIRC a low mile G (2000 miles) that I think could have been had for 75K, that's how far the negotiations had gone starting at 85K.
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #105
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary CA View Post
I am looking a change in RVs and am interested in the View or Navion 24G. Generator question; is LP or diesel the generator of choice for this nice smaller RV?
Salesmen are favoring the LP; I need good feedback from users....Thanks
When I purchased my Navion the Diesel generator was not on the options list from Winnebago. I would have preferred Diesel. Some people have a major dislike for the Diesel exhausts odor, so LP may be a better choice for many people.
elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #106
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post

Thanks,
John
This is a synthetic urea solution that is sprayed into the exhaust system of a modern catalytically cleaned diesel to reduce the amount of Nitrous Oxide that is in the exhaust gases. DEF means Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

Some truck stops have DEF in the Diesel Fuel Pumps, otherwise it's widely available now. In combination with MODERN fuel injection systems (Common Rail) and catalytic converters, particulate filters, and EGR DEF solves the last problem of clean exhaust in Diesel Engines. The term BLUETEC is associated with the MB suite of changes that remove the pollution from Diesel exhaust which is effective ONLY if Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel with about 5 PPM of sulfur is used.

Cummins Diesel DEF:
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

Bosch Common Rail Injection:
Common rail injection
elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #107
DMA
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post

Thanks,
John
Specific to diesels.

Diesel exhaust fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diesel Exhaust Fluid.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #108
Winnebago Camper

DMA, tankless hot water heaters are sometimes great in stick houses. In RVs they are sometimes not so great. Take the 2014 Via/Reyo 25P as an example. The regular 6 gal hot water heater was removed and a Girard tankless installed because the flume from the hot water heater exhausted into the intake vent on the refrigerator that is mounted just above the hot water heater. That tankless often does not work well at all when the water pump is used. It usually requires that you be hooked up to a city water source to obtain sufficient pressure to activate the heater in the tankless. Plus, you lose that 6 gallon fresh water capacity with the tankless since the regular hot water heater stays full of water.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #109
DMA
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRV-in-a-SunStar View Post
DMA, tankless hot water heaters are sometimes great in stick houses. In RVs they are sometimes not so great. Take the 2014 Via/Reyo 25P as an example. The regular 6 gal hot water heater was removed and a Girard tankless installed because the flume from the hot water heater exhausted into the intake vent on the refrigerator that is mounted just above the hot water heater. That tankless often does not work well at all when the water pump is used. It usually requires that you be hooked up to a city water source to obtain sufficient pressure to activate the heater in the tankless. Plus, you lose that 6 gallon fresh water capacity with the tankless since the regular hot water heater stays full of water.
Those are good points and I wasn't aware of the tankless design idiosyncrasies.
It's good to have the extra water on hand. That thought hadn't occurred to me.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #110
Winnebago Camper

Stabilizing our 2014 View Profile

We purchased a 2014 View Profile that we purchased @ Lictsinn in Forest City. We have enjoyed the View for one exception. When one of us is walking in the coach, even when level there is a lot of sway. Have others experienced the same?. If so what kind of stabilizing jacks or system have been used to correct this problem?
Thaks
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #111
Winnebago Camper

I started a Facebook group for View/Navion owners. Look for us, it is closed but ask

Real easy to post pictures and get a quick reply to questions. chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by monik7 View Post
I got a 2012 Navion iQ 24G last May. Just love it. When the DEF light came on the first time, I had to stop and check the manual for what to do. It allows you to start it 16 more times before it kicks you out. I just went to my local MB dealer and got it. Was simple to put in under the hood by the grill. I read somewhere you were concerned about the batteries you'll get and using a trickle charger. I don't know all the technicalities, but my house batteries don't have to be checked for level. I have to put my Navion in storage where there's no electrical hookup. All I do is disconnect the house and engine batteries when I leave. Each month I take it out and drive about 30 miles for exercise and also run the generator under load. Have had no problem doing it this way and batteries are not discharged after a month. In fact, they're at the same level as they were a month earlier. No need for a trickle charger.

I suspect you're excited about getting your rig. Hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.
Sandi
windsolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #112
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB4 View Post
We purchased a 2014 View Profile that we purchased @ Lictsinn in Forest City. We have enjoyed the View for one exception. When one of us is walking in the coach, even when level there is a lot of sway. Have others experienced the same?. If so what kind of stabilizing jacks or system have been used to correct this problem?
Thaks
My Navion IQ is the same as your View Profile except for badging. There is some movement when one person is walking around or even just moving. I do not find it annoying enough to do anything about it. There are several types of jacks and braces to stop movement.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #113
Winnebago Camper

Add jacks. Or dont worry about it. We don't notice much sway. Also buy trailer jacks to stabilize... Dave -)
Wdbeadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #114
DMA
Winnebago Camper

I know that graphics or lack there of is a personal preference. It seems the designers of the current graphic genre these days are influenced by Fellini movies and LSD. I wish winnebago offered an option for a simple monochrome or at least a toned down scheme that in 2020 won't scream 2014.
Something like this would be nice. Understated and doesn't look like shredded drapes.

Rant off.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #115
Winnebago Camper

Personally, for that classic, never-goes-out-of-style look I'd go with this...

smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #116
Winnebago Camper

I simply bolted scissor jacks to the frame. Balkin Jacks. Chris 06VH

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektron View Post
My Navion IQ is the same as your View Profile except for badging. There is some movement when one person is walking around or even just moving. I do not find it annoying enough to do anything about it. There are several types of jacks and braces to stop movement.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #117
Winnebago Camper

Smile

I would not invest in a diesel generator. I have 250 w solar and installed a Magnum inverter/100 amp charger. AGM batteries. Haven't used generator in two years. Thinking of removing it and getting the small very quiet Yamaha gas that is a third of the weight and space as tat useless gen set I haul around. Chris 06vh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary CA View Post
I am looking a change in RVs and am interested in the View or Navion 24G. Generator question; is LP or diesel the generator of choice for this nice smaller RV?
Salesmen are favoring the LP; I need good feedback from users....Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #118
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsolar View Post
I would not invest in a diesel generator. I have 250 w solar and installed a Magnum inverter/100 amp charger. AGM batteries. Haven't used generator in two years. Thinking of removing it and getting the small very quiet Yamaha gas that is a third of the weight and space as tat useless gen set I haul around. Chris 06vh.
Regardless of whether you use the built in generator or not, it has value. If you ever decide to sell your RV it's going to increase it's saleability.

It seems to me that lugging around a comparable portable gasoline generator has severe disadvantages. That Yamaha 3 KW Generator will run 19 hours on a fill. Gasoline itself is a hazard and a problem to store. Many people use unapproved unsafe containers for gasoline and don't give it the respect it needs, not to mention that it's dangerous around a vehicle when the wind is blowing due to static discharge and in a hot vehicle due to it's volatility. It doesn't sound like it would be of any advantage.

If you don't tie the generator and fuel tank down, it's going to be banging around and will be a safety hazard. Maybe you meant one of those 1 KW units that is highly portable, but won't run much.

I am typically running 2 TVs, the DVD, and charging a computer and cell phones with the refrigerator and A/C also drawing power.

I run my Air Conditioner on my built in generator to quickly cool down the RV when I stop when I'm not on shore power. It's nice to be able to go shopping and come back to a cool RV and have the refrigerator cooling the entire time as well. The Diesel is nice in that it takes it's fuel from the same fuel tank and is not nearly so dangerous as gasoline.

If I keep my RV long enough to wear the LP generator out, I'll certainly replace it with a Diesel unit. The newer Winnebago/Itasca View/Navion models have 1000 watt inverters and three stage battery charging with all LED lighting.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #119
DMA
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsolar View Post
Photos of your array available? What manufacture's panels?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #120
Winnebago Camper

DISH Receiver

The receiver compartment on the 24g is too small for the dish receiver. Have to turn it up on front and angle it into the space. Anyone have suggestions?
bdsjss is offline   Reply With Quote