Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #541
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRVers View Post
Ok, so with fuel, black/gray, freshwater - all that equals about 130 gallons and at 8lbs per gallon, you're overweight.

Of course I don't plan on running around with 60 gallons of crap, this is disheartening.
My point is on my 15 View G with 960 lbs, running dry with me and a little food for a weekend. I weighed it on a State Scale. 11,000. I had half tank fuel. If you have a CabOver like mine, you are over weight. If you have a diesel gen, you have 930 lbs. some of the Views with one slide have 1300 lbs, more in line with the use case. My unit is too heavy as designed. When small cars can carry more weight, it makes me wonder. And you are correct if you ran with full water and waste you will be really over weight.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #542
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
My point is on my 15 View G with 960 lbs, running dry with me and a little food for a weekend. I weighed it on a State Scale. 11,000. I had half tank fuel. If you have a CabOver like mine, you are over weight. If you have a diesel gen, you have 930 lbs. some of the Views with one slide have 1300 lbs, more in line with the use case. My unit is too heavy as designed. When small cars can carry more weight, it makes me wonder. And you are correct if you ran with full water and waste you will be really over weight.
Sounds like you may want to sell your G? This is tongue & cheek please don't take it personally. Some might consider a class A pusher. But then I've seen people pull in unhook the TOAD (Avalanche), push out 3 slides, put out the fire pit, chairs, BBQ, table, almost done, crystal stemware, sit back sipping wine. I'm wondering were they still within the OCCC?
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #543
Winnebago Camper

So, you're saying and what everyone else is saying is that Winnebago is selling a unit that is at its limits with regard to weight (with options they offer) and if 2 passengers step inside it's overweight which is against the law.

And if we fill the storage compartments which Winnebago supplies and if we fill the fresh water tank 1/2 way (which is not unreasonable) and we went to the bathroom a few times, all that would make us overweight.

And if we were to get into an auto accident because the unit was overweight and swerved due to it's poor design then it sounds to me that this is one heck of a class action suit.

Is this really the case with these units; they are really overweight as they come from the factory or real close to being overweight?!?!

Quote:
WeekendRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #544
Winnebago Camper

I called Winnebago and they said after all my liquids, etc, we can carry about 1200 lbs.
WeekendRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #545
Winnebago Camper

Yes indeed there is a real weight issue with the Views. See this thread for further detail:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/view...in-290880.html

Meanwhile, for those of you that used Lichtsinn, what have you done about warranty work when you left the state and came to your home? Would your local Winnebago dealer treat you with any respect?
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #546
Winnebago Owner

My local dealer services mine but those who purchase locally go to the head of the line as they should. I support the local dealer and his policy of preferenciail treatment, after all if he were to go out of business were would I go.

I have had great service.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #547
Winnebago Owner

For the propane hose recall I went to a local dealer, General RV. They scheduled me relatively quickly and did the work while I waited. Altogether a decent experience, even though I didn't buy from General.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #548
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
So, you're saying and what everyone else is saying is that Winnebago is selling a unit that is at its limits with regard to weight (with options they offer) and if 2 passengers step inside it's overweight which is against the law.

And if we fill the storage compartments which Winnebago supplies and if we fill the fresh water tank 1/2 way (which is not unreasonable) and we went to the bathroom a few times, all that would make us overweight.

And if we were to get into an auto accident because the unit was overweight and swerved due to it's poor design then it sounds to me that this is one heck of a class action suit.

Is this really the case with these units; they are really overweight as they come from the factory or real close to being overweight?!?!
Here's the weight of my 2016 Navion 24J:
Full fuel
2/3 water
Empty black and gray tanks
Normal cargo
Two people - driver and passenger (somewhat more than the 154lb listed on the weight chart)

3700 lbs front
7140 lbs read
10,840 total
Old 02-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #549
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
For the propane hose recall I went to a local dealer, General RV. They scheduled me relatively quickly and did the work while I waited. Altogether a decent experience, even though I didn't buy from General.
We had a similar good experience with the hose. That is we bought from Lichtsinn and went to Sanford, FL for hose. No problems getting serviced, but they did not bleed the lines so stove and refrig did not work on propane until people on this site told us to bleed the lines.

Also, we've had mileage checks and service in Louisville, KY and they too got us in quickly and got good service.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #550
Winnebago Owner

Regarding weight. Camper Ken weighed his and he is good. The problem units are the View G with the overhead. Please weigh yours if you have this unit. The rear slide adds a lot of weight. The is why they have a lower OCCC.
The other models are OK.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #551
Winnebago Owner

Overhead?

We have a 2014 G. What do you mean "with overhead"? We have the back slide out but no room to sleep over the cab. It is storage space only.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #552
Winnebago Owner

The overhead bunk sleeps two people. It is common with class C and many Views have this.
It adds weight to the View.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #553
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I called Winnebago and they said after all my liquids, etc, we can carry about 1200 lbs.
The label on the drivers side door jamb states the weight carrying capacity of my 24J as 1280 lbs.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #554
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The overhead bunk sleeps two people. It is common with class C and many Views have this.
It adds weight to the View.
Thanks. We didn't get a model with beds above the cab. We say some like that but we didn't want to climb up there and second we didn't want room for "guests" to crash with us.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 PM   #555
Winnebago Watcher

New to the Dance: 25M

Just jumped in 2015 25M, lots to learn and will be pouring through these pages. Appreciate all the knowledge shared here, hopefully some from me down the road. Can already tell I (62 years old) don't want to sleep on sofa, will use bunk over cab with some type of mattress topper. Grandkids get the sofa/dinette. I may make a topper with extra material to match dips in sofa, some type of system to smooth out.
rj flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #556
Winnie-Wise

Just picked up our 24V

We picked our 2017 Navion 24V on Friday and drove it home on Saturday. Now the fun begins as we get it modified to what we want. First thing up is metal valve stems.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #557
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
We picked our 2017 Navion 24V on Friday and drove it home on Saturday. Now the fun begins as we get it modified to what we want. First thing up is metal valve stems.
Keep it looking like new. Very first thing I put on my RV.
Invisible Mask - Clear Bra Automotive Paint Protection, 3M Scotchgard, Carbon Fiber 3M Films

The area just behind the step on each side will get rock chips unless you protect it l use a bulk sheet from invisible mask, cut to fit apply yourself.
It will save the paint job. They also make cut to fit pieces for your Sprinter, including covers for your headlights, replacement head lights are about 250 each.

I also have magne shades, they work great. Test every system now that you have at home make sure you understand how everything works. Find all the fuses they are scattered around, under the drivers seat, dash, under the hood, in the battery box under the entry step, the converter near the galley, back by the water pump; that way if you have a problem you can ask your local dealer. There is also a black momentary switch near the water pump, it is operated using all the switches that control the water pump, learn how to by pass it.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #558
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the information. I've got a bunch of pressing projects before our first trip in two weeks but I'm making progress each day.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #559
Winnie-Wise

And I already have two major problems: The engine battery is dead and will not hold a charge. And, the 7 way plug is dead - except for the 12 charge line. I have a couple of other minor things and have notified the dealer. It's going to be fun to see whether or not they are half as good as Tiffin in resolving these issues.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #560
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
And I already have two major problems: The engine battery is dead and will not hold a charge. And, the 7 way plug is dead - except for the 12 charge line. I have a couple of other minor things and have notified the dealer. It's going to be fun to see whether or not they are half as good as Tiffin in resolving these issues.
When parked there is a small parasitic drain on the engine battery, which will often discharge it within 2 weeks or so. There is a battery disconnect just to the right of the accelerator pedal that is very easy to get to and which I use whenever the unit is parked for more than a week. Not sure what your circumstances are, but if the battery won't hold a charge then it sounds like it may have been drawn down too far or simply have been bad from the start (no pun intended).

Sorry to hear about these problems with your unit and hope they get taken care of promptly.