Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #361
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmnbrdlady View Post
I can't seem to figure out the organization of this forum and how to start a new post, so please forgive me if this gets tacked onto someone else's post incorrectly. I'm out on my maiden voyage with my new to me 2015 24g. I have a couple of questions:
1. When I put a DVD in the player up front, I can see the picture on the back bedroom TV, but there is no sound coming through the TV. I can only hear sound through the ceiling speakers up front, which don't provide enough sound in the back unless I crank up the sound so loud the entire campground can hear.
2. Is the gray water tank emptied by gravity or a pump? There is a pump switch in the service bay and the tech told me it was to pump out the tank. I think that switch is for pumping in antifreeze for winterizing. The previous owner installed a valve on the gray tank piping, but the opening is a strange size.
3. Do you have any issues with water getting everywhere when using the shower?
Sorry, I just kneel down and hold the pump switch on till empty, would not want to walk off and burn up the pump .....
seahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #362
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
Go to the "GOOD SHOP"

MB repair shops are great for warranty & inherent MB problems.....but tires & alignment are best done by your local owner/operator that you know to be good. I drove 75 miles round trip to have my sprinter aligned by the "right" guy. He asked me questions about ride & drive before he started, then he consulted with me when he was done.

the cost for your "known" good man is incidental. An extra 35-50 bucks is not much when you consider the price of misplacing a mis-aligned tire.

I change my own oil & I don't let rv shops touch my rig....unless it's my last option.
Thanks for the good advice. I will probably change my own oil and filters but I read that you need to be very careful not to overfill the oil

Mark
Pam, GiGi, & Mark Traveling in GiGi's Dog House. 2017 Navion 24G w/ Dinette being pushed by 2017 Chevy Spark. Loss GiGi in 2017 to cancer. A part of her rides with us all the time but not the same. She really enjoyed Adventures
Bompa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #363
Winnebago Watcher

What is a DEF? I'm trying to get educated for when my 24V is delivered in August..thanks
GRibeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #364
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRibeiro View Post
What is a DEF? I'm trying to get educated for when my 24V is delivered in August..thanks

DEF stands for diesel exhaust fluid. It's readily available at most gas stations, Walmart, auto supply stores, etc. It helps the diesel burn cleaner. There is a clearly marked cap under the hood where you add DEF. I don't remember the exact amount, but newer Sprinter chassis take about 3-4 gallons, which will last from 3-5,000 miles or so. Do NOT wait for the light to come on to add DEF. I tend to add about every 2,000 miles. Once the light comes on it can become problematic to get it to go off again. It may take several restarts. DEF is 32.5% urea, which I believe is a mild acid. The balance is de-ionized water. I generally fill to overflowing, replace the cap and then wash down thoroughly every place the DEF has gone.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #365
Winnebago Owner

Forgot to mention, I tend to travel with either a 1 gallon or 2 1/2 gallon container of DEF, to make it easy to keep the tank full. It is very easy to do.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #366
Winnie-Wise

if your DEF light comes on you must add enough to turn it off or the "timer" will not reset. First time I had to add it only took one box and the light went out. Last time I had to add a full box (2.5 gal) and the light didn't go out and had to make a stop at Walmart for another box and it took another 1/2 box.

I'm going to try to add as I go in the future. You can also get it at the pump at truck stops in the truck lanes, tends to be a few cents cheaper but I just buy the boxes at Walmart and keep one on hand.

I know you use more DEF if your idle the motor or in stop and go traffic. Just something to keep track of but not a major problem.

They also recommend not letting it sit around over a year, so purchase as you use it.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #367
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmnbrdlady View Post
Do you wedge anything to hold the pump switch in the on position while dumping? It's awkward leaning under there and holding the switch.
I don't. Not sure that would be smart. If the tank is pumped out and you are not there to quickly release the switch it may damage the pump if it runs unloaded for a long time. Get one of those foam garden kneeling pads to kneel on while working the pump, hooking up water supply, working with the poo hose...... Much easier than bending down and around the hatch door.

Suggest a bright color so you don't loose it. Put it in the compartment with the shore power cable. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...NOrLjwS5-Z2wCQ

Suggestion: after disconnecting from shore power, take the power cable and walk it out behinf the RV (preferably on asphalt or hard surface to keep it clean). Carefully flat coil the cable into the bottom of electric compartment so it lays flat on the bottom. The plug into receptical. Takes a couple extra minutes but saves space and makes it easier to deploy. You just pull out what you need.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #368
Winnie-Wise

Ummmmm! If you need an alignment.... At least on an RV with a fresh water tank behind the rear axle, I'd only put less tha 1/2....maybe 1/3 the capacity in the FW tank. And keep black and gray tanks as empty as possible... Rationale.... Water = weight. 8.345 lbs/gallon. (Your poo water will vary!!!!!) On a View, for example you have 3 X 30 gallon tanks (F, B & G). Full that is 90 x 8.345 = 751 Lbs.

That's 750 lbs of excess weight you needn't carry 100% of the time. That extra weight lowers performance, fuel economy and affects handling (good & bad). And, it takes 750 lbs out of a sometimes marginal payload capacity. With planning, you should be able to lighten the load almost all the time by keeping empty tanks. The times when you can't would have minimal effect on tire wear and the alignment.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #369
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago's Sewer Hose solution

My 2017 Navion 24G came with a sewer hose and a built in holder.
Before even looking at the hose I was sure it would a cheap starter
hose and I was right.
Winnebago has installed a section of PVC pipe into one of the driver's
side basement going under the coach.
I have a very good sewer setup that has the locking/mated ends and can
stand on it's own without support most times and also has the locking end caps
to keep everything clean when put away.
I tried to fit MY hoses into the built in holder but because of the ends won't even begin to fit.
My wife decided to put the Winnebago hoses in the holder just to have but
she said that the entire hose wouldn't fit in and the end just dangled out the end of the holder pipe.
I don't know why Winnebago would even go through the trouble to install something like this as the hose would drip onto anything else in the storage bay.
The company has engineers that can figure out and design some pretty cool things on a coach and then they do some BoneHead item such as this
Pam, GiGi, & Mark Traveling in GiGi's Dog House. 2017 Navion 24G w/ Dinette being pushed by 2017 Chevy Spark. Loss GiGi in 2017 to cancer. A part of her rides with us all the time but not the same. She really enjoyed Adventures
Old 06-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #370
Winnebago Camper

Starting to come around

For the last 2 weekends we have taken the Navion and did some camping at some PA State and COE campgrounds. We purposely picked sites that had only electric to test the systems for how the fresh water and holding tank capacities will work as they are less than we were used to with our previous 42ft Excursion.
The water pump provided much higher pressure than we had before
The way we use water would get us only a couple of days but that's doable.
The Truma demand water heater is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone. We turn it on 5 minutes ahead of a shower to let it circulate and the water is almost instant at the shower head. The water is hotter than any we have experienced in other coaches. This keeps water usage at a minimum.
We traveled purposely around very rural areas of PA that were very hilly that I would have never taken with our old DP. The worst mileage we have experience at present is 14 and today's average was 15.1 so with that I'm smiling.
Starting to get the hang of the smaller living size and believe it is growing on me.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:03 AM   #371
gr8
Winnebago Camper

I know what you mean about the pvc sewer pipe holder. I have the same problem with my 2016 Navion. In case you like fishing, here is what I did: I decided to use that PVC holder for a couple of fishing poles. Next, I tossed the cheap sewer drainage pipe from Winnebago in a compartment for back up use. Finally, I use
a sewer drainage pipe that caps shut on both ends (probably the same one you have) and keep that in a compartment in a garbage bag.
gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #372
Winnebago Camper

I agree, that built in sewer hose compartment is a waste of space! Winnebago, if you're going to make a built in hose storage space, why not make it to accommodate hoses that people normally use?! I bought my View used, so there wasn't a hose. I keep my sewer hose in a deep dishpan in that compartment.
Hmnbrdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #373
Winnebago Owner

We have a '15 View J. Our sewer storage is in the back, allowing the sewer hose to hang vertically and drain. While admittedly a cheap hose, most manufacturers don't provide any sewer hose. This one is perfectly adequate for dumping at a dump station when we've camped without full hook ups, and it's relatively convenient to get to and put away. We have a longer, heavier hose for use at full hook up sites when you want a threaded fitting.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #374
Winnebago Owner

In hopes that Winnabago reads these post I'd like to add my support to the group. Agreed the hose storage is inadequate. I do use the hose at least until it fails. I would be happy with the length if the tube were capable of holding a hose like the RhinoFLEX with caps.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #375
Winnebago Camper

Perhaps Change it out

I plan on looking over the installation of the factory Sewer Hose holder
and if possible maybe I can remove that one and install a 5in Sch40 PC section of pipe in it's place.
If that isn't possible will look to see if there is somewhere under the coach where pipe can be installed using SS clamps that would work
Just thinking
Right now I carry my hoses (with end seals) and the other attachments in a pvc storage box in the rear compartment under the bed
Old 06-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #376
Winnebago Camper

Hi everyone. Mercedes just fixed my 2014 NavionJ again. we were going out for a bike ride, tried to lock the rig and neither of the keys worked. Went to start it and the steering and the ignition were locked out. We had to have it towed 90 miles to Reno. It seems the prefuse blew. It's an E shaped harness that has 3 small fuses and one big fuse. I guess it's designed to protect everything from power problems that can damage components. They couldn't really tell tell me what would have triggered it. They said they have had a few of these lately and said the battery disconnect has triggered it for a few people. Does anyone have any insight regarding this problem? I don't want to have it happen again. We were on the first day of a 3 week trip and ended up having to leave it in Reno. It took a week to get the parts and diagnose. He recommended I only use the battery disconnect when I winter store it. I have used it when it was going to be parked 3 or more weeks.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.
BTW, this is the fourth time into Merecedes since we bought it used at 6000 miles. It now has 9300 miles. The other times were for DEF problems. I'm hoping that problem has been solved with the new NOC sensors.
Hope everyone is having a great summer.
dlarsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #377
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsell View Post
Hi everyone. Mercedes just fixed my 2014 NavionJ again. we were going out for a bike ride, tried to lock the rig and neither of the keys worked. Went to start it and the steering and the ignition were locked out. We had to have it towed 90 miles to Reno. It seems the prefuse blew. It's an E shaped harness that has 3 small fuses and one big fuse. I guess it's designed to protect everything from power problems that can damage components. They couldn't really tell tell me what would have triggered it. They said they have had a few of these lately and said the battery disconnect has triggered it for a few people. Does anyone have any insight regarding this problem? I don't want to have it happen again. We were on the first day of a 3 week trip and ended up having to leave it in Reno. It took a week to get the parts and diagnose. He recommended I only use the battery disconnect when I winter store it. I have used it when it was going to be parked 3 or more weeks.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.
BTW, this is the fourth time into Merecedes since we bought it used at 6000 miles. It now has 9300 miles. The other times were for DEF problems. I'm hoping that problem has been solved with the new NOC sensors.
Hope everyone is having a great summer.
The battey disconnect by the gas pedal? That is for "extended" storage.....like months on months. Not for disconnecting the chassis battery for short periods.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #378
DMA
Winnebago Camper

See Winnebago 80.20 advisory on door locks and SAM Module.
Affects 2014 and 15s for sure. Ours was repaired under warranty. New wiring harness, SAM module. Works fine now but at first the coach wouldn't lock with fob, then all locks were haywire. Takes a trip to Winnebago dealer and a trip to a Sprinter shop.
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #379
Winnie-Wise

Yes the 24Gs dump hose is light weight, short, and the storage tube could use some refinement. While imperfect, they are usable. I can use the tube about 98% of the time. The real problem is older campgrounds do not have "center dump" points in a pad.

Carry a longer tube for the 2% time you can't hook up with the shorty.

Yes, you have to push the tube into the holder and compress it. Just wear gloves!!!

The retaining strap snap was at 5 o'clock.... Very awkward. Moved it to 10 o'clock. Much better & easier.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #380
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA View Post
See Winnebago 80.20 advisory on door locks and SAM Module.
Affects 2014 and 15s for sure. Ours was repaired under warranty. New wiring harness, SAM module. Works fine now but at first the coach wouldn't lock with fob, then all locks were haywire. Takes a trip to Winnebago dealer and a trip to a Sprinter shop.
Where did you find that information? I just bought a used 2015 View 24g, so it sounds like this could affect me. Did this locking issue happen initially, or after some use?
Hmnbrdlady is offline   Reply With Quote