Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #221
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsell View Post
I am hoping someone can help me out there in Navion land. I just purchased a used NavionJ (7,000 miles). I had trouble with the DEF system driving from Texas to California. After a lot of stress and two Mercedes places I'm hoping they fixed my problem with the newest computer software. Have other folks had problems with their DEF systems?

Can anyone tell me were the inverter is in the NavionJ. I know where the control panel is, but I can find the rest of it. I read the manual and it says it's in an outside compartment. Where?

Also, there a small circular cap on the front bumper. What's that for? I couldn't find anything in the manual.

Does anyone know if its okay to used an electrical adaptor on the 30 amp extension cord so you can plug in to the house? There were warnings in the manual, and I don't know if it applies to this. I'm also wondering if it would be a problem if I ran my air-conditioner if I were plugged in this way.

Thanks for your help.
Denny answered most of your questions but I differ on one issue. We plug ours (View Profile G) into 110 and have no problem using the microwave. Just did it this past weekend while in Louisville trying to sell out house. Most of our "stuff" is in our new home in Florida including stove and refrigerator. Thus we used the RV refrig and microwave. Had a house, with little furniture, to live in except the kitchen was in the RV.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #222
DMA
Winnebago Camper

You can pickup a 30A adapter at Walmart. Use a heavy extension cord for longer runs. I can run AC, lights and fridge on a 20A service with no trips. My circuit is on an outdoor circuit with GFI. I'll bag the connection if it looks like rain.

I'm sure by now you have found the inverter. You will hear it running (fan) when it's quiet even when not on at the panel serving load.

We recently finished a 5k 7 week trip from east TN to FL then to LA, TX, AZ, a week in Sedona, the Grand Canyon and home. Lots of VN travelers at Rancho Sedona.
One issue. Propane company over filled us and injected the regulator with oil....$175 a new regulator dumped some propane and three hours later we were back on the road.
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #223
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for all the responses to my questions. Very helpful.

Another question. To charge the house battery when driving does the coach switch need to be on? In my last Rv that was the case.

Also, when plugged into shore power, should the house battery slowly charge? I did this the other day for several hours and the wall gauge didn't show an improvement in the battery level. Is it possible that the wall gauge doesn't show a full charge when it really is fully charged?

Also, the Rv doesn't have any levelers. What do people use? Any advice on what to get?

Thanks for your advice.
dlarsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:15 PM   #224
Winnebago Owner

Switch must be on to charge batteries.
Shore power Should charge / meter should display full charge when complete.
Levelers weigh too much, we usually level with blocks or other such devices.
Stabilizers are nice but not necessary, they are lighter but not for leveling or for lifting to change tires.
I Keep the DEF full, I top off at 2000 miles small tank / some Spriners have a larger tank they can go farther. If your tank is in the lower right front engine compartment it is the smaller tank. If you idle you will actually use more DEF than if you cruise.
I top off at truck stops normally, alittle embarrassing but convenient. Careful not to spill, and make sure to cleanup immediately if you do spill. Keep a gallon on board just in case you can't find it when you need it. Adding before the lamp comes on, even topping off will prevent the lamp from ever coming on hopefully never experiencing the lamp issue again.

Oil change in the future? I just spoke to my service tech. Because I couldn't find Mobil 1 esp 5w-40 Oil .51 he told me - Oil filter is OEM, along with 14 quarts of Mobil 1 0-30 oil. This oil is low ash Mercedes Benz approved, Spec. 229.52, which is safe for your diesel particulate filter (DPF). Fill only 12 then check oil fill only 1/4 toward the full mark cold or you could over fill when hot.

Private message me, for more battery info usually more than anyone wants but I like lots of info.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #225
Winnebago Owner

If the electrical source has enough amps-no problem.

The only way to know, for sure, is to add an electrical management monitor (ours was a progressive industries 30A hardwired in) .

Just to give you a little "why do that?' we went to the Sebring a couple of years ago with our friends, in their 5th wheel. He ran an extension chord to a 110 20 amp receptacle. Used his Microwave-charged his batteries- &- ran the A/C to sleep, when everything else was off.

Result: 3 weeks later-the converter quit working, along with the microwave.....within 2 mos, the A/C quit. All ruined because they were operated on too low an amperage source.

The electrical management system by progressive (has a lifetime warranty) will shut off the power to your coach until the power source becomes acceptable or some of the appliances are turned off.

I installed one in our View, it shut the power source down about 4 or 5 times in the 23 months we owned the vehicle. 2 or 3 times it was because the park we were in did not have enough power for the rvs that were hooked up (all 3 were commercial parks) we moved to a spot closer to the power station, & were fine. Another time, the breaker was bad (Ranger replaced it) . Another time, the receptacle was too loose to make good contact( I used the 50amp adapter)

So......even though your appliances "work" they may not have enough amps to prevent them from damage caused by low amperage. The only way I know to avoid this is to install an electrical management device. Costs about $180-in the box
Old 03-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #226
Winnebago Owner

Plastic

We use those interlocking plastic blocks sold at Amazon and Walmart. We have two "boxes" of them. After reading reviews, I went with the yellow ones but orange are probably OK too. But keep in mind that they don't work with each other so pick one.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #227
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post

The only way to know, for sure, is to add an electrical management monitor (ours was a progressive industries 30A hardwired in) .

Just to give you a little "why do that?' we went to the Sebring a couple of years ago with our friends, in their 5th wheel. He ran an extension chord to a 110 20 amp receptacle. Used his Microwave-charged his batteries- &- ran the A/C to sleep, when everything else was off.

Result: 3 weeks later-the converter quit working, along with the microwave.....within 2 mos, the A/C quit. All ruined because they were operated on too low an amperage source.

The electrical management system by progressive (has a lifetime warranty) will shut off the power to your coach until the power source becomes acceptable or some of the appliances are turned off.

I installed one in our View, it shut the power source down about 4 or 5 times in the 23 months we owned the vehicle. 2 or 3 times it was because the park we were in did not have enough power for the rvs that were hooked up (all 3 were commercial parks) we moved to a spot closer to the power station, & were fine. Another time, the breaker was bad (Ranger replaced it) . Another time, the receptacle was too loose to make good contact( I used the 50amp adapter)

So......even though your appliances "work" they may not have enough amps to prevent them from damage caused by low amperage. The only way I know to avoid this is to install an electrical management device. Costs about $180-in the box
Good point. I neglected to note that we do use an electrical management device. And it has saved us several times from connecting to faulty wiring.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #228
DMA
Winnebago Camper

I use the Lego blocks for leveling. It took a few times to become proficient but now I usually get it first time. Spirit level and also a smart phone level application gets the job done. We level to the fridge..so I do a quick check with the phone application on the counter next to the fridge. If your fridge is fussy, level to the interior of the fridge. YMMV.

Switch needs to be on to charge the coach batteries while driving.

Open the battery box and use a multimeter to see how the battery levels
compare with your panel meter.

When my batteries are two years old I am going to replace with six volt types. With a small mounting mod you can get more amp hours.

Come visit us on the
View Navion Face Book page.
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #229
Winnebago Camper

So a few weeks ago I purchased a portable surge guard from camping world. Since then I've read reviews and many folks have had problems with that model. I'm thinking I better invest in a wired electrical protection system. Anyone have a favorite brand?
I bought the protector to protect from surges. Are they also suppose to work if there is low voltage?
Sounds like I need to use blocks for leveling, not jacks. Great tip
Thanks for the tip on the leveling app. On the iPhone.
Also appreciate the tips on the oil and def.
we bought our navion in Texas used. It was a nightmare when we were driving it back to Nevada to have the check engine light go on in the middle of no where. We called the Mercedes dealer in flagstaff. They said it was safe to drive it. When we got there they did a software update. About 50 miles after we left there the light came on again. Come to find out they used an old update. We proceeded to the Mercedes dealership in riverside. They did a newer computer update and so far all is okay. It's still under warranty. We will definitely keep the def topped off.
dlarsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #230
Winnebago Watcher

Ordering times and price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
SgtSaunders6, I ordered a 2015 View 24m here in San Diego, Ca (the M has the toilet in the rear and a sofa sleeper in the cabin behind the driver) I ordered it with many options including full body paint and diesel generator. The total was $130,000. I got it for $100,000. I don't know if that's good or bad compared to anyone else, but it should give you a basis to work from. It will arrive in SD 12/10 and be delivered to me about 12/17
Good Morning SgtSaunders6,

We too are interested in ordering a new Winnebago view and was wondering what the process was how long it took? How did you negotiate the price to get it down from 130K to 100K? What dealer did you order from and were you happy with their services?

Thank you,

Jason Hardi
jasonhardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #231
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhardi View Post
Good Morning SgtSaunders6,

We too are interested in ordering a new Winnebago view and was wondering what the process was how long it took? How did you negotiate the price to get it down from 130K to 100K? What dealer did you order from and were you happy with their services?

Thank you,

Jason Hardi
Try your local dealer first, show up armed with information advertised prices.
If they won't make you a reasonable deal then you will need to travel to Iowa or Ohio to find a reasonable price PM me. I can tell you where I have shopped.
If you are really interested be willing to look at one or two model years.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #232
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the leveling app. On the iPhone...
We don't have leveling jacks. But lots of people have had HWH levelers installed, often at their factory in Moscow, Iowa. They are more than happy with those levelers. The price tends to run around $4K installed. I have used the blocks which have 3 different levels, which seem to be fine most of the time.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:04 AM   #233
Winnebago Owner

We also got a discount - 22.5% off MRPL (or something like that). We actually listed all the specifics we wanted and sent it to dealers asking for a price letting them know others were bidding too. We ended up purchasing from Lichtsinn in Forest City, Iowa. It is 1 mile from the factory.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #234
Winnebago Watcher

RV Direct (RV ONE)

Hi! anyone that has purchased a View or Navion from RV One and had experience to pass along?
1.) Number of weeks actual build time from Winnebago
2.) Was the Mercedes still in alignment after they built the camper onto the chassis. Was alignment an issue?
3.) Any other advice?
BaggiePants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #235
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggiePants View Post
Hi! anyone that has purchased a View or Navion from RV One and had experience to pass along?
2.) Was the Mercedes still in alignment after they built the camper onto the chassis. Was alignment an issue?
3.) Any other advice?
We ordered for the new 2014 model year-3 month build time-

The build time depends on lots of things, the biggest being chassis availability and how many orders are in front of yours.

Winnebago says they check the alignment at the factory, BUT, my sprinter chasis wore the tires on the inside (toe in too much) I had the coach aligned myself. I waited too long-cost me some tire wear. BUT, I rotated all 7 tires , and had 37K miles on the tires with 1 new tire purchase. Then we sold the coach-no problems-just our plan.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #236
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggiePants View Post
3.) Any other advice?
Manual suggest checking alignment after filling tanks and loading for travel.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #237
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
So a few weeks ago I purchased a portable surge guard from camping world. Since then I've read reviews and many folks have had problems with that model. I'm thinking I better invest in a wired electrical protection system. Anyone have a favorite brand?
I bought the protector to protect from surges. Are they also suppose to work if there is low voltage?
Thanks for the tip on the leveling app. On the iPhone.
Also appreciate the tips on the oil and def.
we bought our navion in Texas used. It was a nightmare when we were driving it back to Nevada to have the check engine light go on in the middle of no where. We called the Mercedes dealer in flagstaff. They said it was safe to drive it. When we got there they did a software update. About 50 miles after we left there the light came on again. Come to find out they used an old update. We proceeded to the Mercedes dealership in riverside. They did a newer computer update and so far all is okay. It's still under warranty. We will definitely keep the def topped off.
I use the Progressive industries 30A portable, about the same price no installation necessary. We sold our B we kept the Progresive they are kind of expensive.
You're rolling the dice especially in older parks it is worth the expense for the protection.
It is not just a surge protector, it test polarity, voltage, ground, ground loops and more just can't remember the rest. If it finds a fault it will display an error code and not allow power to the coach, if anything should go wrong while you are hooked up it will disconnect power until the problem is corrected.

There is a delay from when you first plug it into the parks electrical system while it test the service so don't try to start running the microwave until the proper code is displayed, been there. I started testing everything then looked at the code, everything was fine I was just impatient.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #238
Winnie-Wise

I installed a wired Progressive into my 24J - took about 40 min, it's a bit tight to mount but it's in. Love it and it will never be stolen.

I also have the HWH levelers, I pull into a site and put levelers down, slide out, electric & h2o ready to sleep 15 min. Sewer hose add another few min.

Glad I have both, makes it easy to go in and out of a camp daily since I don't have a toad. If I'm staying in the same spot I leave the hose and sewer at the site and resetup in about 10 min.

Since I go in and out it's a nice setup, especially in the rain
Old 03-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #239
Winnebago Watcher

Post Electrical Model for Prodressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post

What model Progressive surge protector are you referring to?
BaggiePants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #240
Winnebago Owner

12V Diagnostic block diagram: Something to add to your trouble shooting bag of tricks.

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/m...iagnostics.pdf