Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

View/Navion Storage Door Swing Direction

Has anyone looked into changing the door swing to horizontal or increasing the height they lift open on a View/Navion. If the door lifted to vertical and latched open it would make it so much easier to get into the storage areas. I have had my View for 1 month and having to crawl under the doors is frustrating.
JRVisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
Site Team

What stops the door from opening fully? A strut or a cable? My Adventurer has mostly horizontal opening basement doors but it has two vertical opening doors. They had a wire cable to prevent them opening “too far” and I simply unscrewed the cable attachment.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

the swing is limited by the design of the hinges. Struts actually stop it but is it went much further the edge of the door would bind with the camper sides. So changing would require new hinges. They currently open about 30 degrees past horizontal but i am a pretty big guy and still basically have to sit on the ground to get anything out.
JRVisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Underneath a slideout, the door is opening height is limited by a thick wire looped over an exposed screwhead in the door. Sliding the cable off will increase the opening size to match the doors that aren't underneath a slideout.

The doors are prevented from fully opening - and even with the cable removed, you'll need to stoop down to access the storage.

Winnebago uses the cable on the doors underneath the slideout to prevent those doors from blocking the slideout from closing when the doors are open - so if you do remove the cable, the cable should be reattached when the door is closed.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a 17 view. I remove the cables on the doors under the slideout when packing and then replace them before opening the slide. I changed the gas struts on the other doors so that they open further. These are available on Amazon.
notbusdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What year is your View/Navion? I have a 2022 and the door opens to the front of the RV, where the passenger side door is so it is not blocking any compartments????
dave5131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5131 View Post
What year is your View/Navion? I have a 2022 and the door opens to the front of the RV, where the passenger side door is so it is not blocking any compartments????
Think lower bay doors …. not coach entry door.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mine have removable cables so they can open further. Good luck
dave5131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I've raised the struts on all of my bays a few inches to the point where the door does not touch the body of the RV. That gained me another couple of inches height and it does make a difference when crawling under. Under my Slide I did the same but repositioned the screws holding the wires also to where there is an inch clearance to the slide. 21D
Aerneau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, storage, view