Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #1
'21 View 24J

View Navion Rear Stabilizers

Hi - Has anyone removed the factory installed rear stabilizers on a View / Navion?

If so, do you have an estimate of what the assembly weighs?

Thanks,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Try sending your question to Winnebago Owner Resources via email,
[email protected]
Send them your VIN/WGO ID# and they'll give you an exact number.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We had the bar removed when our HWH jacks were installed.

The weight savings was around 100 lbs.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I asked OR @ Winnebago about mine, and the entire stabilizer jack unit weighs 66 lbs. 2018 Navion 24V.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
'21 View 24J

Ok, I appreciate the info, thanks.

Cheers,
Old 09-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Don View Post
Ok, I appreciate the info, thanks.

Cheers,
I'd ask [email protected] anyway, for your specific unit, just to verify.
Your chassis is newer, and WGO changes parts standards regularly.
In case this is why you're asking...
I was going to add hydraulic levelers, and needed to compare the weight differences with and without removing the stabilizers, as I am close to the available GVWR/GCWR/OCCC upper limit. I can *just* add a set of leveling jacks if they're under 200 lbs without removing the OEM stabilizers. On my unit.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:54 PM   #7
'21 View 24J

Right.

We have not used them once since we got our 24J - I’m using their 12 volts for a macerator pump - and I’d like to recover some weight as we seem to be carrying around passengers occasionally these days. (Even with four on board I have not seen the requirement to extend them.) And, our 200 watts of factory Sun Power flex panels appear to be losing performance after only two years - so I’m looking to add some rigid panels and working the weight numbers to see how many make sense.

I view them as dead weight, and they get rustier by the week. I’m inclined to remove them, and move on…

I read a post from the Minnie Winnie group, and they appear to be a pretty straightforward removal. If I can confirm that they are the same stabilizers, and the job is not going to end me up in the Forum headlines, I think I will put it on the list.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Old 09-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

No idea where you're located - I'm in southwestern Ontario, Lambton County.
Hard to find authorized Winnebago sales/service/help nearby, after Forest City in London closed up 3 years ago. Sicard RV is still a Winnebago shop, but they're booking service out to January-February. I'm heading across the border soon to get some custom work done. Winnebago shops are plentiful in Michigan and points west.
That said, Winnebago Owner's Services are extremely helpful, when it comes to doing stuff like you're planning, and if you can't figure it out yourself, send them an email and ask them how to do it, and what needs to be done, and they'll probably send you diagrams and maybe some basic cookbook instructions. They just need your VIN or Winnebago ID number.
They sent me the diagrams for my stabilizers, should I ever want to remove them.
Actually, I just went and found the emails, and the schematics are available online in the parts/systems diagrams section of the Winnebago website. Just need Year/Make/Model and WGO ID number to get the ones for your vehicle.
Mine are here...
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2017/300858.htm
Old 09-10-2022, 04:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

With jacks, you shouldn't need to use the stabilizers - which is why we had them removed after the HWH jacks were installed.

View/Navion and other Sprinter-based RVs are all challenged with relatively low OCCC - and removing the stabilizers if they aren't being used will help a little - though I suspect many View/Navion (and other Sprinter/RV vehicles) are probably at least slightly over the specified weight limit.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:21 AM   #10
'21 View 24J

Thanks to all. I keep forgetting that the Winnebago parts database has this kind of thing in it, and not just electrical and plumbing.

That link shows a match to my Morryde stabilizers, and has me convinced they should drop off by removing 4 bolts.

I’ll let you know how much they weigh, in a bit.

Cheers,
Old 09-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
With jacks, you shouldn't need to use the stabilizers - which is why we had them removed after the HWH jacks were installed.

View/Navion and other Sprinter-based RVs are all challenged with relatively low OCCC - and removing the stabilizers if they aren't being used will help a little - though I suspect many View/Navion (and other Sprinter/RV vehicles) are probably at least slightly over the specified weight limit.
Had any problems with the HWH jacks? How much did they weigh?
Just curious, haven't decided which ones to get yet.

I'm also looking at Bigfoot, as they have the highest lift weight rating, at 8,000lbs per ram, but they're only operational from the control pad at the side door. I'd like a cab area/cockpit panel option, but they don't/won't do that.
Equalizer jacks are a bit less powerful at 7500lbs per ram, but they do come with a smartphone app, that makes them operational from anywhere within Bluetooth range of the control pad.
I like that, and am leaning towards Equalizer. Prices are similar, and installation locations are fairly close to me.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #12
'21 View 24J

Thirty nine and a half pounds. I was hoping for more, but I'll take it!

I found a thread from a Minnie Winnie that dealt with the same MORryde stabilizers, and the info was very useful. If you are looking to remove your stabilizers on a View / Navion, here is what I would recommend:

1 - Extend the legs normally, if your electrical circuit is working. If not, they can be manually cranked down with a 3/4" socket or wrench.

2 - You will find a zip tie near the trailer hitch holding the wire bundle for the power and control. When cut, the bundle drops and you'll see two connectors. Disconnect the connectors. (This wire bundle is the only one relating to the stabilizers.)

3 - You'll find two vertical bolts on each end of the stabilizer assembly. You can remove these 4 bolts using a 9/16" socket and wrench and the assembly is now disconnected from the chassis.

4 - Gently retract the legs using the manual cranks on the ends to separate the stabilizer assembly from the chassis, and note that it is initially being guided vertically by the structural tail bumpers attached to the chassis. (If you retract the legs using a socket and extender, watch out for the socket clearance on the exhaust pipe from the Onan as the weight comes off the leg. You might end up supporting that end of the assembly on the tailpipe of the Onan with your tool. How would I know that?) If you are on relatively flat ground, the assembly should remain standing as you clear the bumpers.

5 - Tape up the chassis connectors and re-stow the leftover chassis wiring bundle.

A couple of points of interest. The power to the leg switches in the ceiling of the wet bay or electrical bay is still present. If you want to have a rear end, exterior, source of 12 volts, disconnecting the switches from the connectors will give you two sources of 12 volts. (I previously wired this power for a portable macerator pump we use.) The other interesting thing is this source of 12 volts is from the Sprinter battery. I'm guessing that Winnebago wanted the stabilizers to function electrically and provide the "legs down warning" regardless of the state of the coach batteries.

As far as mods go, this was pretty easy. It was about time for an easy one!

Thanks again for the help,

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	785.2 KB
ID:	184146  
Old 09-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Vita 24P

I just had the Big Foot installed in July. Note: I have a Vita on the Mercedes Chassis. I removed my stabilizers which were in front of rear wheels, weight was around 70lb. By the way I find the control panel by door very convenient, just sit on the step and with my Levelmate Pro I set everything to perfect level. Love the system. Installed for $3700 at White Pigeon Michigan factory. Left the GNR for Winnebago and drove to Factory, done in 2.5 hours by appointment only. They have hookups available for night before camping.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Don View Post
Right.

We have not used them once since we got our 24J - I’m using their 12 volts for a macerator pump - and I’d like to recover some weight as we seem to be carrying around passengers occasionally these days. (Even with four on board I have not seen the requirement to extend them.) And, our 200 watts of factory Sun Power flex panels appear to be losing performance after only two years - so I’m looking to add some rigid panels and working the weight numbers to see how many make sense.

I view them as dead weight, and they get rustier by the week. I’m inclined to remove them, and move on…

I read a post from the Minnie Winnie group, and they appear to be a pretty straightforward removal. If I can confirm that they are the same stabilizers, and the job is not going to end me up in the Forum headlines, I think I will put it on the list.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Don’t understand why you are not using the stabilizer jacks. They definitely make a difference in the bounce of the unit. And certainly do not understand the statement “using the 12 volts for the macerator pump”. As far as the sun power flexible solar panels, if they are still mounted directly on the roof, they should be removed immediately. These panels are damaging your roof, well documented. They need to be removed and mounted differently, or replaced with rigid panels.

Ron -2019 19V
rx4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
I just had the Big Foot installed in July. Note: I have a Vita on the Mercedes Chassis. I removed my stabilizers which were in front of rear wheels, weight was around 70lb. By the way I find the control panel by door very convenient, just sit on the step and with my Levelmate Pro I set everything to perfect level. Love the system. Installed for $3700 at White Pigeon Michigan factory. Left the GNR for Winnebago and drove to Factory, done in 2.5 hours by appointment only. They have hookups available for night before camping.
Thank you excellent information. I’ll check them out.

Tags
view