Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
Mrdino

View/Navion AC on Regular 110 Service

So this past weekend, my 2015 Navion 24J AC unit would try to kick on, but it would kick right off. Plugged into a 30 amp circuit at a local campground. So on to trouble shooting.
I do not have 30 amp service in my driveway. Can I run the AC unit just on a regular 110 house plug? Not for long periods of time, but simply to do some basic trouble shooting. I is a Coleman Mach 8 unit. Has anyone else had this issue?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks, Gary
mrdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You should be fine running on 110/120 if the one AC is all you are running. I plug mine in to 120 at the house quite often to clean up after a trip. AC, fridge, and vacuum. My 120 is on a 20 amp breaker with 12ga wire. My usuall recepticale is a 50 amp in my storage shed.
1995 Warrior (former)
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Use your on-board generator (if you have one)

David
2013 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Back to your A/C unit now that you have some suggestions on power. Are any breakers tripping (in the motorhome or on the pedestal)? Your A/C unit has several capacitors that reduce the starting load - start capacitor and a run capacitor. It is not unusual that the start capacitor fails. You can either replace the capacitor yourself or have your dealer or mobile repair person do the work.

If you are getting a breaker trip, you may have a locked compressor. You have a two year warranty on your unit and you may want to find a Coleman repair center to do the replacement.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Mrdino

Thanks for the help. I have moved it indoors to a friends shop. Will try to run it this weekend on 110. Can't run the genny inside but if there are still issues on 110, will fire up the genny and take for a ride. No breakers were tripped, leaning towards a capacitor right now. Someone also thought I may have been under powered at the camp ground I was at. What's weird is it cooled it down the rig down from 94 to 85. Then when I set it 75, that's when it kept false starting. Thanks for the replies!

Gary
Old 05-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If you plug into a standard 15 or 20 amp 110V outlet make sure to use a heavy outdoor extension cord, or better yet use a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter on your existing cord.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Was it really humid at the campground you were at? If you set the temperature too low too quickly, you will freeze up the unit and that will also cause the problems you saw. If you need to cool down to a lower temperature in very humid conditions, do it 2-3 degrees at a time. This will allow the unit to remove the humidity slowly and not freeze up.

You might want to invest in a Progressive Industries EMS unit. This will monitor the campground power and protect your motorhome from under and over voltages, open grounds, bad neutrals, and power surges. A quick peek at the unit, and you would have known your power status. If your voltage is too low, it would have shut down your connection before damage was done.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
Mrdino

Well the unit fired right up back at home on just a standard 110 house plug. I guess I am going with the 'frozen up' diagnosis for now. next time I will drop the temp slowly, 3 degrees at a time to prevent freeze up. Thanks for all the info. You guys are great !!!
Old 12-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I would run the generator to stretch it's legs during this time. Especially if you have a diesel generator like mine. They were meant to be run.

Tags
service