Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
2020 View 24D

View main side door auto unlock while parked

A new twist. We are on a new trip and the last 2 days when parked, our main entry door keeps auto unlocking, about every 15 minutes or so. We are at our campsite and hear the distinctive unlock and the the small display on the Mercedes dash lights up--just as if I pushed the remote to unlock all the Mercedes doors. I've tried moving the Mercedes remote to the front, away, alas but to no avail. When we lock the doors at night, they stay locked and don't continue checking.

We did have the View in for service to add the strut posts for the door recently. I can't think this is related to that. Any ideas what might cause this? We have the '21 View 24D.
jimservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It does sound like a proximity unlock is being triggered, if your unit has that feature. It might be the key fob when you're outside is right at the perimeter of it's range to the motorhome, give or take a foot or two, and it thinks you're returning and want the doors unlocked.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Do you have a cat? I mentioned in another thread that my cats used to periodically unlock the doors on my Ford based motorhome rentals.

Or combining what Winterbagoal said, does your cat have a keyfob?
Old 09-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimservice View Post
A new twist. We are on a new trip and the last 2 days when parked, our main entry door keeps auto unlocking, about every 15 minutes or so. We are at our campsite and hear the distinctive unlock and the the small display on the Mercedes dash lights up--just as if I pushed the remote to unlock all the Mercedes doors. I've tried moving the Mercedes remote to the front, away, alas but to no avail. When we lock the doors at night, they stay locked and don't continue checking.

We did have the View in for service to add the strut posts for the door recently. I can't think this is related to that. Any ideas what might cause this? We have the '21 View 24D.
This is normal. My 2020 does the same thing. If under the right condition, it will also keep locking every so often too. I haven't figured out what is causing it, but I manually lock and unlock and dont use the key fob. Seems if I use the key fob to get in the side door this causes it.

I'm sure its something Winn did with the fob integration to the side door. Seems to be a common problem with the new chassis. Most wont know unless they pay attention to the door locks.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

This seems to be a side effect of connecting the coach door to the Sprinter locks.

The sequence that appears to fix the issue for 2019 Sprinters is to open one of the Sprinter doors, close the door, and then use the key fob to lock all of the doors.

Another oddity we've found is the inability to unlock the Sprinter doors with the key fob while the engine is running. This is annoying if you've parked with the engine running, exit through the coach door to do a walk-around, and then try to enter through the driver's door.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
This seems to be a side effect of connecting the coach door to the Sprinter locks.

The sequence that appears to fix the issue for 2019 Sprinters is to open one of the Sprinter doors, close the door, and then use the key fob to lock all of the doors.

Another oddity we've found is the inability to unlock the Sprinter doors with the key fob while the engine is running. This is annoying if you've parked with the engine running, exit through the coach door to do a walk-around, and then try to enter through the driver's door.
Don't you have a master lock/unlock button on the dash below the climate controls?
FWIW, my 2018 Navion on the 2017 chassis works flawlessly with the key fobs, except the part about lock/unlock with the keys in the ignition/engine running part. I guess they all do that?
Old 09-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

These are issues with the 2019 Sprinter chassis - there isn't a master lock/unlock button. There are lock/unlock buttons on the driver/passenger doors - haven't found using those solves the coach door periodic unlocking problem.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
These are issues with the 2019 Sprinter chassis - there isn't a master lock/unlock button. There are lock/unlock buttons on the driver/passenger doors - haven't found using those solves the coach door periodic unlocking problem.
I see that in your operator's manual, your central locking buttons are on the door. Mine are under the climate controls on the dash.
There is a section in the manual that describes a 40 second timer, if the doors are remotely unlocked, but no door is opened during the 40 seconds, they all lock again.
I'm not sure if your situation is similar, in reverse? Some sort of delay that causes them to unlock?
I still think it's a proximity unlock function. In your OM it mentions a "convenience" unlocking function around page 54.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

When the Sprinter chassis is in this mode, it will perform an unlock on the coach door (and possibly the chassis doors) every few minutes.

It's also possible the unlock is being performed because it senses there is a key fob nearby.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
When the Sprinter chassis is in this mode, it will perform an unlock on the coach door (and possibly the chassis doors) every few minutes.

It's also possible the unlock is being performed because it senses there is a key fob nearby.
Is this post a question, answer, or statement of resoution?
Old 09-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Statement of what happens when the chassis is in this mode - the coach door will be unlocked every few minutes until either the chassis gives up or I open/close a chassis door and do a key fob lock.

The correct resolution would be for Winnebago or MB to change this so the chassis doesn't get into this mode...
Old 09-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Statement of what happens when the chassis is in this mode - the coach door will be unlocked every few minutes until either the chassis gives up or I open/close a chassis door and do a key fob lock.

The correct resolution would be for Winnebago or MB to change this so the chassis doesn't get into this mode...
I see. Didn't I suggest a "proximity" unlock might be happening in post # 2 in this thread, and again in post # 8?
Old 09-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I don't have our View nearby, so I can't verify this...

If there was a setting for automatic unlock, I would have disabled that when I went through all of the settings on the MBUX system.

The 2019 Sprinter chassis does issue an automatic lock after the vehicle has started moving.

We do not have an automatic unlock, because when I approach the Sprinter driver/passenger doors with the key fob and the vehicle has been locked, those doors remain locked - as does the coach door.

So there doesn't appear to be an automatic unlock performed by the Sprinter chassis when the key fob is detected approaching the vehicle.

Instead, what I suspect is happening... If the doors are locked from the inside, when there is a key fob detected on the inside, the system appears to periodically issue an unlock, likely to protect the owner from unintentionally locking the key inside the vehicle.

This behavior is not mentioned in the Sprinter manual (though that manual is light on details in other areas, such as the "automatic map updates" are only provided for the surrounding region - not the entire US).

By opening the driver/passenger door and then issuing a lock via the key fob, the system may believe the vehicle is being locked - with a key fob outside of the vehicle, and then doesn't perform the periodic unlock.

We have two Tesla vehicles that do have automatic unlock - and have had issues when people have left key fobs inside their vehicles. Some owners, when they want to lock the vehicle with a key inside have resorted to wrapping the key fob in metal foil to block the signal.

This may be another area where MB hasn't adapted the Sprinter chassis to be used for an RV - where owners will want the vehicle locked - while they are staying inside for an extended period. Another item where should adapt Sprinter-based RVs is the choice of using Mercedes Pro (intended for commercial users) instead of Mercedes Me (intended for personal use).
Old 09-14-2020, 05:21 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I Picked my 2020 in Dec during the lock down I spend lots of hours in my RV doing mods and putzing. I noticed this early on. First I thoughr it was the fob in my pants getting pushed. So I got into the habit of when entering I put the fob on the counter. Funny on my first trip to FL for a week I didn't notice it. But it drove me nuts sitting it alone it would trip every 10 to 15 minutes.

listen I tried everything even disabled the locks engaging when taking off. I had my door replaced due to the gas strut and called out the manager to bring the subject up and said no one has brought this up.

Well it is a problem and I've tried everything but in my case it doesn't lock or unlocked the door as I first thought it engages it for I've made sure the coach door is unlocked then u hear the click but the door doesn't lock itself.
So what's so different from or coach than years past. Ahh the freaken new style door, hello bingo. What I did and seened to help a lot was take an eraser open the door there are magnets that engage the door when using the fob. Using the eraser helps but not eliminate the problem. Upon getting the new door I was asked if I still had the problem after the new door and yes I do but not as often.
One note at times when u first start the engine u can hear the lock on the house door engage but doesn't really lock the door.
So my conclusion is it has to do with the new style door probably have too stong of magnets.

Winnebago Dan 20J
DKDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Try this sequence:

> Unlock the doors with the key fob
> Open the driver or passenger door (not the coach door)
> Close the door
> Lock the doors with the key fob (with the key fob in the coach not in the cabin)

This sequence seems to work (at least most of the time)...

Tags
door