Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Living The Dream

View Infotainment Center Woes

On our 2018 View 24D, the Infotainment Center throws out inconsistent lack of user-selected functionality. Sometimes it will work fine for days while traveling, then for some unknown reason it just doesn’t want to allow selection of items from the Menu Screen. The Menu Screen will show everything, but sometimes not all is selectable. Often seems to occur after a bumpy road, can sometimes (not always) be corrected by shutting off the ignition completely and starting over.

Here’s what is typical, for example, after stopping for fuel ... everything is working fine up until the shut off of the ignition to fill up, but upon restart I can’t select what I want, like maybe the rear camera, or SiriusXM, or Bluetooth. Sometimes after trying to turn off the ignition and turning it back on, the Infotainment Center begins to behave. Sometimes not. Perhaps after the next stop and restart, it’ll work again. Sometimes it’ll be the next morning.

These kind of intermittent problems are just exactly the worst to go into a shop with ... after suffering the appointment making process, the trip there and the week(s) of waiting to hear something, they say, “We can’t duplicate your problem.”

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? If so, any idea how it was “fixed?”

Appreciate your replies.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would want to look carefully at what is working and not as a way to cut the potential causes. By that I mean I would look at things that might still be working like the temperature sensor or any other electrical parts as some working to and through the monitor will tell you that the main power is likely to be okay.
From there I would begin to look at what is the most likely to have come loose and it may mean pulling the monitor and/ or the radio out to see the back connections. This may be something which is easier to lift the dash cover but that is something to look at onscene.
This is a snip of the radio/monitor wiring for your RV that I cut from this drawing:
Page 6
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2018/000038844.pdf
Click the picture for a better view.
I have marked in green the major items. I marked an HDMI cable as the first suspect as they do not often come with anything to hold them in the plug and that seems to be one of the main points which carries almost all the data to the monitor. This seems like a likely suspect to have backed half way out of the plug and making occasional contact. If the radio is going totally dark as if losing power, check the "wire assembly" shown below the radio and the same for the monitor plug shown above it. But finding those will be a case of having to trace out the wiring as we don't get that much detail on drawings.
Best of luck, sounds like a bear to find and worse to get to it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	info.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	175039  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
On our 2018 View 24D, the Infotainment Center throws out inconsistent lack of user-selected functionality. Sometimes it will work fine for days while traveling, then for some unknown reason it just doesn’t want to allow selection of items from the Menu Screen. The Menu Screen will show everything, but sometimes not all is selectable. Often seems to occur after a bumpy road, can sometimes (not always) be corrected by shutting off the ignition completely and starting over.

Here’s what is typical, for example, after stopping for fuel ... everything is working fine up until the shut off of the ignition to fill up, but upon restart I can’t select what I want, like maybe the rear camera, or SiriusXM, or Bluetooth. Sometimes after trying to turn off the ignition and turning it back on, the Infotainment Center begins to behave. Sometimes not. Perhaps after the next stop and restart, it’ll work again. Sometimes it’ll be the next morning.

These kind of intermittent problems are just exactly the worst to go into a shop with ... after suffering the appointment making process, the trip there and the week(s) of waiting to hear something, they say, “We can’t duplicate your problem.”

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? If so, any idea how it was “fixed?”

Appreciate your replies.
Is that the 9" Infotainment Center? We didn't want the headaches we read about before we ordered or 18N24V, so we just got the small one instead. Haven't had any problems with it.
That said, there are some fancy modern electronics, like GPS systems, video monitors, and TV/DVD player combos that are purposely disabled when the vehicle is in certain circumstances, like moving, for example. It's built in safety features that disallow using a video display while the engine is on and the transmission is not in P. Could your issues be related to built in safety functionality? Since some stuff works, while other stuff doesn't depending on the vehicles status? My Wrangler's GPS locks out some nav functions when we're moving for safety reasons, as an example.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

We had the same problem. Loose hdmi behind the unit. Took it to a local car audio dealer and they fixed the problem.
Rich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
Living The Dream

RiverPark sent me a new unit and I swapped them out today. Seems to be working, fingers crossed. No trip planned for a while, so likely won’t know until later. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 10-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Have you done updates lately? I find the unit is decent when I do updates about every six months, otherwise it goes crazy. I know, not a good system, works on old windows embedded OS, slow, but after everything if you do regular updates it behave much better - at least for us. Good luck Warren. We are still staying home pretty much, took RV out a few days ago for a 50 mile drive and "picnic lunch" and then back home. Has been our routine this year for some reason. Yeah, way overpriced option but do the updates and things are better. I even run win 10 dual boot on my linux lappy just to do the updates to this thing. Very discouraging with the performance of this unit at the base price of inclusion on our purchase. New units get a different option, sounds better. Let us know how the replacement unit works.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
Living The Dream

Hey Bill,
Wondered if you were still kicking’
I have been doing updates about every six months. Maybe that’s part of the process, too. Crazy system.
We just returned from a two month trip, another 4,000 miles on the View, so now laying low at home. Probably won’t get out again in the next couple of months. Might be a while before we know if the new central unit solves the problem. Must say, though, RiverPark was immediately responsive and super pleasant, much different than our earlier Norcold fiasco.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post

Appreciate your replies.
Hello,
I am the owner of a 2017 View 24J with the upgraded 9" NAV/Infotainment screen.
I have experienced all of your issues on my NAV/infotainment system.
My problems were also intermittent. The NAV would lock up and freeze. The rear camera also worked sporadically.
My local dealer also couldn't duplicate the problems since it was so sporadic, which was very frustrating and time wasting.

After much research I found the manufacturer of our NAV/Infotaiment sytem - it's XITE Solutions. They recommended I upgrade the software of the NAV/Infotaiment system. The software was made by Rand McNally. The version that came with my 2017 VIEW 24J was old and contain many issues and stability problems.

Based on the instructions from Rand McNally...
I ejected the Compact Flash card in the front the NAV unit and inserted into my Widows PC. I then downloaded and ran the Rand McNally DOCK software on my PC. The DOCK software detected the CF card from the NAV - it prompted me to upgrade the OS, system files, and MAPS. The versions were very old and outdated... I performed the recommended upgrades and put the CF card back into my NAV unit. I then turn on the ignition of my VIEW 24J. The infotaiment system detected the new OS & system files on the CF card. It then perform an upgrade of the infotainment system and rebooted. After the reboot, every worked perfectly. No more intermittent issues, no more lock ups, and my camera worked exactly as expected.

I also noticed that the GUI was bit more responsive and the maps were updated with the latest roads and construction info.
If you haven't done this already, I would recommend that you update the NAV/Infotainment software via the Rand McNally DOCK software.

Here's the instructions...
https://www.randmcnally.com/support/...dates-via-dock

Here's the link to the DOC software...
https://www.randmcnally.com/support/s/dock-software

I now perform a map update every quarter to ensure I have the latest maps and way point information.

In addition, I now also have a small 7" Garmin GPS on my dash as secondary GPS because the Garmin also provide real-time traffic information.

Good luck.
jnguyen68 is offline   Reply With Quote