Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

View House Batteries

I have a 2019 Winnebago View with two Napa 8240, Grp 24, 63Ah batteries. Anyone with this View and the residential refrigerator will understand how these batteries are woefully inadequate for boondocking. I am having trouble finding anything with more than 85Ah that will fit in the battery compartment. At this point, I would love Lithium, but the price puts me off, plus the same size problem. I am considering a single 200Ah AGM battery that will easily fit. Is there any problem with using just the one battery? I understand the weight of the battery will present an installation problem (just lifting it into place).
Faraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No problem with one vs two. Make sure it is 12V.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraway View Post
I have a 2019 Winnebago View with two Napa 8240, Grp 24, 63Ah batteries. Anyone with this View and the residential refrigerator will understand how these batteries are woefully inadequate for boondocking. I am having trouble finding anything with more than 85Ah that will fit in the battery compartment. At this point, I would love Lithium, but the price puts me off, plus the same size problem. I am considering a single 200Ah AGM battery that will easily fit. Is there any problem with using just the one battery? I understand the weight of the battery will present an installation problem (just lifting it into place).
We had the same OEM batteries in our Fuse but found that that the compartment for the batteries easily held the Type 31 batteries and that is the size of the Battle Born Lithium batteries. I understand your concern about the cost as I had that as well, but the batteries fit perfectly into the battery compartment on our RV and might well fit yours as well.

I also considered AGM batteries as a replacement but the larger capacity AGM batteries were much heavier than the OEM batteries that came with our Fuse and I worried about the capacity of the compartment to support the additional weight.

In the end I bought the BB batteries and a Renogy DC-DC charger. The cost was about $2700 installed and that is quite a bite, but they fit perfectly and I no longer worry about running out of battery power when boondocking. If your View has the same compressor fridge as our Fuse you are probably using something on the order of 100AH each 24 hour period and those OEM batteries are really too small for that power usage unless you use shore power each night or have a lot of solar panels on your roof.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraway View Post

Your best bet would be to get rid of the 12v batteries and get 2 6v golf cart batteries. Go to batteries plus ensure, search slgc115. There are 230Ah wet cells for $99 each. They will fit in your batter tray.

Larry
2018 Navion
Old 07-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I considered that, but ended up going to two Grp31 12v batteries. Haven’t installed them yet. It wii entail grinding off the two end flanges that hold the smaller grp24s in place. Been waiting for cooler weather, but Florida weather is not being very considerate. Thanks for your suggestion.
Faraway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries