Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #121
2016 View 24J Profile

I have to agree with everything that Canyonlands mentioned. We bought our 2016 View 24J profile in June 2018 and have put just over 10k miles on her since. We just love ❤️ this rig. I do all my own servicing and have enjoyed making mods and upgrades many of which I have told Winnebago about.
At the GNR this past July we spoke with Winnebago about issues that we had with the front seat upholstery. They acknowledged the problem and gave us new upholstery and paid for our local dealership to replace it at no cost to us even though we were out of warranty. That is first rate customer service in my book.
For ease of service, great fuel economy (16.5mpg) and fun driving with the knowledge that we’re driving a crash worthy vehicle, I can’t think of another vehicle that would give me all this. Highly recommend it 👍
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #122
2016 View 24J Profile

I have to agree with everything that Canyonlands mentioned. We bought our 2016 View 24J profile in June 2018 and have put just over 10k miles on her since. We just love ❤️ this rig. I do all my own servicing and have enjoyed making mods and upgrades many of which I have told Winnebago about.
At the GNR this past July we spoke with Winnebago about issues that we had with the front seat upholstery. They acknowledged the problem and gave us new upholstery and paid for our local dealership to replace it at no cost to us even though we were out of warranty. That is first rate customer service in my book.
For ease of service, great fuel economy (16.5mpg) and fun driving with the knowledge that we’re driving a crash worthy vehicle, I can’t think of another vehicle that would give me all this. Highly recommend it 👍
Old 10-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #123
Winnie-Wise

AlanO-

While they may have been nice to replace your upholstery you will find at some point like I have that they will not keep replacing the material. Last for me was to supply the material and I had to pay for the install. Unfortunately, they did not have a recall due to substandard material. They have been replacing the material for some people who complain, with.... you guessed it - the same substandard material.

I have had many vehicles with 100k miles and have never worn through the seat material.

Winnebago 1 year warranty, for many people who use their rv less than a month or two per year the problems won't show for a few years. In fact the last winnebago service guy said, "what are you doing, living in the rv" the last time I had to get material replaced for the second time since 2016. BTW I do not live in my rv full time.

Some people are now just finding out that their subfloors are getting soft. Lucky for me I noticed that before the warranty was up. One week in the factory shop... can't imagine how much it would have been if I had to pay out of pocket on that one. The tech's did a great job in fixing it.

I guess it's always a push/pull thing with customer service, fix something before the word gets out and everyone complains or files a class action. No business likes to get bad publicity and no business wants to loose profit fixing things unless there is a complaint. Buyer be aware!
Old 10-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #124
Winnebago Owner

2018 Winnebago View 25J

I wanted to post an update on my last comments. The factory finally called us and is sending out a manager in January to look st the stress cracks on the front roof. We since bought a 2005 leisure van to travel and live in while down south. I love the handling of s class B along with 23 mpg. For two weeks were ready to kill each other over the lack of space. We learned to take turns moving around in it. We really miss the view when it comes to comfort but love the class b for getting around easily. Love both vehicles and realized that no one RV fits all your needs. We will probably keep the view as we spend 6 months a year in it and my wife loves the extra room. If you are a travel junkie and don’t stay long in one place, definitely look at a class b.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #125
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy

A resounding no. We have a new 2019 Navion and just winterized it and put it in storage for the season. Wish I didn't have to see it again. Outlined a few of the issues on the web page below. I'm sure this list will grow. The concept and layout are great. It's the actual implementation and build quality (or lack of) that has me disgusted.

[Moderator edit: Website link removed]
leeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #126
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeblue View Post
A resounding no. We have a new 2019 Navion and just winterized it and put it in storage for the season. Wish I didn't have to see it again. Outlined a few of the issues on the web page below. I'm sure this list will grow. The concept and layout are great. It's the actual implementation and build quality (or lack of) that has me disgusted.

[Moderator edit: Website link removed]
It might benefit other Navion owners (myself included) if we could read the issues this owner has incurred. Any chance of re-instating the link?
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #127
Winnebago Watcher

Here's the content of the link that was deleted by the moderator:

In 2019 after much research and deliberation my wife purchased a Winnebago Navion. She works very hard and deserves to relax doing something she really enjoys. Therefore, it angers me when I see her taken advantage of. She purchased the Navion new and I'm shocked, knowing the price, at the sheer lack of thought and craftsmanship that was put into the construction of this unit.

1. Rust on the First Day
She found the unit she wanted in Ohio which is not anywhere near where we live. So we got a one-way rental car and drove two days to pick it up. These pictures were taken on our very first night. I can't believe that something brand new would have rust on it. Didn't the manufacturer anticipate that a RV may be exposed to the elements?

2. Bed Broken
This happened within the first month. It's the bed I was sleeping in and I was going to give it the benefit-of-the-doubt since I am not the lightest person and I toss and turn at night. When I investigated the problem this is what I found. The access panel for the water heater, which is weight bearing, was held on by staples. The piano hinge had detached because the screws were barely catching the frame. I've put my own time into repairing this and have not had any problems since. I am concerned that this shoddy work continues all through the coach.

2.1 As Feared
Two outings later the panel on the other bed broke. This one's supports were only help by a few staples. Must have been a hard month for Winnebago so screws were not in the budget.

3. Latches and Hinges on Overheads
The latches that hold the overhead compartments keep stripping out. They were poorly installed and the cabinets are made out of glorified cardboard and not wood. While we are on the subject of cabinets. One of the things my wife liked about this unit was the euro-style cabinets. Her brother has an Airstream with this style cabinet and she's always admired them. The Navion is more expensive than the Airstream so you would think the cabinets would be at least the same quality. Wrong. They are not even real. They are just cheap boxed cabinets with a curved door that doesn't of course match up with flat front of the frame.

4. Dump Setup
There's more than one issue with dumping the black and grey water on this rig. I don't know if it is any different on the other floorplans but on her 24V the access to the black water hose hookup is via a panel that only opens 90 degrees. That means you have to lay on the ground to reach it. This also applies to the grey, which is under a different panel and requires you hold down a button all the time you are pumping it out. My wife has been treated to a gush of black water every time she takes the cap off the black line. I suspect the valve has a slow leak.

5. State-of-the-art Entertainment System.
Are kidding me? Given the price of this rig it should be able to play a Blu-ray disc. It’s a 2019. Checkout where they elect to install it. Remember water and electricity are best friends. Whenever I see something like this all I can think is "Big Brains at Work". I also love the cutting edge remote. You have to sit in the doorway to operate it. Wow!.

There's many other things that just reinforce my opinion that no real effort or craftsmanship went into constructing this vehicle. They couldn't even be bothered to print labels for the fuse panel. Instead I have someone's hand written chicken scratches. I can only hope that the Mercedes part of it holds true to their reputation because everything that was added on to it is absolute rubbish.
leeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #128
Winnebago Watcher

Complaints: no TPMS, even tho the Mercedes Sprinter manual says there is, A/C wouldn’t run on generator until “soft start” was added... A/C was GE & no owners manual for it or thermostat which has begun displaying FC code??? Tv isn’t “smart”... no apps built in.. vent fan only blows in even tho control says you can reverse it...

Model 24D with Murphy bed..

Positives: fridge, hot water heater, swivel seats with booster cushions, auto leveling system, solar panels, app for awning control, shades & screens, overall look & quality of interior
Hdrew72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #129
Winnebago Master

The Coleman A/C works off the generator. Due to parts shortage, Winnebago may be using the GE as a replacement - and if it pulls too much power to start, they may have to add "soft start" to all units built with the GE A/C.

I was able to find .pdf files online for most of our 21VD's components. While we bring the book in our RV, everything in there (and more) is already loaded on our smart phones, tablets and laptops. When WBO swaps in a component different from their original design, probably not surprising the documentation doesn't match.

The first upgrade we made on our way back home after picking up the RV was to purchase a Samsung 32" 4K smart TV to replace the "dumb" 720P TV that WBO provides. The audio was so weak on the stock TV, that we could barely hear it over the air conditioner - when volume was at 100%. Now we get a much better picture, streaming apps and louder sound. Only challenge was to figure out a way to mount it, since the cabinet door is designed for the specific ATYME TV WBO is using.

The remote for the exhaust fan indicates it should be able to reverse - but WBO chose to go with a less expensive exhaust-only version. It is possible to upgrade to two-way by swapping out the control board/panel.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #130
Winnie-Wise

Overall the Navion 24D for us has the optimum floorplan with a very functional galley layout for fixing our own meals.

I had to relocated one of the solar panels that was mounted in the wrong location by someone who clearly was clueless and did not care about what they were doing. Same with not shortening the kit wiring from the panels to the tri-port on the roof. I bought two more panels to add 290W of solar and fixed the wiring problem. To get the most out of the solar panels I also switched out the factory lead acid batteries for 125 Ah lithium ones.

Having only a single propane burner on the range and have the electric only fridge are two things I dislike. Not a problem if you are always on shore power but definitely a drawback for dry camping. With my prior camper it had a 3-way fridge and a two burner range and no generator and we could go for weeks with no issues and no need to be on shore power unless we needed to run the AC, which we did maybe a couple nights during the year.

The main reason though why I would not recommend the Navion to anyone is the very low OCCC of 886 lbs that needs to include my wife and I, food, water, gear, emergency items, and a rack with two e-bikes. To stay under the OCCC we need to keep the fresh water tank half empty and not use the toilet and shower. If we took our two dogs we would be over the OCCC even with the fresh water tank completely empty.

I would recommend that people buy a Class C built using the Ford E-450 chassis cab and gain an additional 1000 lbs. of payload capacity and an additional 2500 lbs of towing capacity. Huge difference in having a GVWR of 14,500 lbs with the Ford chassis instead of 11,030 lbs with the Mercedes Sprinter platform.

But that also assumes normal conditions and an adequate supply of motorhomes and when we started looking last fall there were very few choices in terms of available new or used Class C motorhomes. I seriously doubt we will ever get back to normal in this country.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #131
Winnebago Watcher

Some additional gripes: GE A/C condensate drains down next to door on “patio” side - really poor, worse possible location. Also, valve stems on inner rear wheels are cheap plastic extensions that don’t extend far enough for good access.... other wheels have steel...duh?
Old 05-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #132
Winnie-Wise

Update on the new Ford E-450 chassis the GCWR is now 22,000 lbs which puts it head and shoulders above the Mercedes Sprinter 3500.

After the banksters crashed the world economy in 2007-2008 most of the RV manufacturers shut their doors permanently. Far few companies in operation today and with less competition there is less incentive to not cut corners in areas that are not immediately visible to customers.

The Airstream is in a league of its own in terms of how it is built. Nothing else comes close and small wonder that people are still using the trailers and rebuilding ones that were manufactured more than 50 years ago. But unless one is full time traveling and living in an RV the extra quality and durability is probably overkill. With a travel trailer the Airstream is the only trailer I would ever consider buying for my use.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #133
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdrew72 View Post
Some additional gripes: GE A/C condensate drains down next to door on “patio” side - really poor, worse possible location. Also, valve stems on inner rear wheels are cheap plastic extensions that don’t extend far enough for good access.... other wheels have steel...duh?
The Coleman A/C also drains down the sides of the RV - either by the coach door on our D or down by the dinette windows.

If you have an automatic leveling system, you might be able to encourage the water to drain towards the dinette side by slightly adjusting the level to lean a little more towards the driver side.

Though we haven't found it to be a big enough issue to do this on ours.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #134
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Update on the new Ford E-450 chassis the GCWR is now 22,000 lbs which puts it head and shoulders above the Mercedes Sprinter 3500.

After the banksters crashed the world economy in 2007-2008 most of the RV manufacturers shut their doors permanently. Far few companies in operation today and with less competition there is less incentive to not cut corners in areas that are not immediately visible to customers.

The Airstream is in a league of its own in terms of how it is built. Nothing else comes close and small wonder that people are still using the trailers and rebuilding ones that were manufactured more than 50 years ago. But unless one is full time traveling and living in an RV the extra quality and durability is probably overkill. With a travel trailer the Airstream is the only trailer I would ever consider buying for my use.
Hmmm - since this is a Class C RV forum thread - what Class C models does Airstream offer?

Back in the day we once owned a Streamliner trailer, which in every way was equal to an Airstream trailer at the time (all aluminum skin, rounded-off type coach structure inside and out, etc.).

From a Class C perspective, Lazy Daze Class C motorhomes remind me of Airstream trailers ... as they feature superb interior construction and an all-aluminum skin. A Class B motorhome brand probaby equal to Airstream trailers in construction quality and materials are Coach House Class B motorhomes. Coach House motorhomes may in fact be considered superior in construction to Airstream trailers because these motorhomes have a one piece completely seamless outer shell of molded fiberglass, just as is used for boat construction - while airstream trailers use aluminum sheets riveted together. Also, an aluminum skin can get dented in extreme hailstorms, while a fiberglass skin will not.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #135
Winnebago Master

The only Class C (B+) offered by Airstream is the Atlas - a front murphy bed floor plan, similar to Leisure Travel Vans Unity or Wonder murphy bed floor plans - with a smaller living area than the 24D - but a huge bathroom in the back.

We looked at the Unity, Wonder and Airstream Atlas floor plans and chose our 24D, because the D has much more living space (with the full-side slide) - with more seating, more dining and more sleeping positions.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #136
Recon Scout

I have a new to me Vita 24F, very similar to the Navion. My 5 kids have grown so we traded our 41’ DP and are headed out on our first long trip soon. I know it will vary, but any idea how long the 3600 propane generator will run on the 12 gal tank while running the A/C?
Fedexflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #137
Winnie-Wise

The Airstream Atlas is considered by them to be a B+ motorhome. As with the Winnebago Ekko which is referred to as a class C motorhome but is the same size as the Atlas and with the same compromises with a marginal galley and no dinette area to eat or use a laptop. The reason we bought a Navion 24D was that it had the largest galley area and dinette space of any Class C motorhome. We cook 95% of our meals when traveling and use our laptops daily and so these two aspects outweighed other considerations.

The OCCC is something that the motorhome manufacturers hide from their customers. With a van or a trailer the dry and maximum weights are published and not a mystery. Being able to have less than 900 lbs for food, cooking gear, water, black and gray water, and passengers, or anything mounted on the rear hitch receiver, puts most Class C motorhomes considerably over their engineered load capacity and no wonder that the handling is so poor.

With my wife and I in our Navion and with a bike rack with two e-bikes our allowance for everything food, gear, water (fresh, gray, and black) is only 350 lbs which is not top of mind for most buyers of these motorhomes. If we fill the freshwater tank our allowance for everything else is only 110 lbs so even taking a dog with its food becomes a problem.

Problem is that the manufacturers don't really care about the overall utility for more than a week or two vacation trip. They may be correct as to how their RVs are used by most buyers but they are also being grossly deceptive with their specifications such as stating that the freshwater tank holds 30 gallons and the gray water tank holds 41 gallon and the black water tank holds 41 gallons without mentioning that this capacity is not actually usable as it would take up 100% of the OCCC for the motorhome. The capacity would in theory be great for dry camping but the reality is that with the very low OCCC the RV owner needs to stay where there is a dump station so they can offload gray and black tanks before heading on the highway.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #138
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry, no idea as we opted for the diesel generator.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #139
Winnebago Master

Just came back from a 16 day - 2800 mile road trip, and our biggest frustration was with the Sprinter adaptive cruise control - over the last 5 days of driving, the cruise control was offline for much of that time.

It appears other Sprinter or Sprinter-based RV owners are seeing the same problem.

We've already had our Sprinter service work on the system once, and for the last portion of this recent trip, the system was going offline daily - worse than before the repairs.

We have a longer 3400 mile trip planned later this summer, and are more concerned now about losing cruise control - driving that many miles (several days will have long drives) is a concern.

If MB can't fix this problem - the answer to the question about purchasing a View/Navio or any other Sprinter-based RV would be a NO...
Old 06-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #140
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Just came back from a 16 day - 2800 mile road trip, and our biggest frustration was with the Sprinter adaptive cruise control - over the last 5 days of driving, the cruise control was offline for much of that time.

It appears other Sprinter or Sprinter-based RV owners are seeing the same problem.

We've already had our Sprinter service work on the system once, and for the last portion of this recent trip, the system was going offline daily - worse than before the repairs.

We have a longer 3400 mile trip planned later this summer, and are more concerned now about losing cruise control - driving that many miles (several days will have long drives) is a concern.

If MB can't fix this problem - the answer to the question about purchasing a View/Navio or any other Sprinter-based RV would be a NO...
This is interesting timing. I typically do long trips, and not having cruise control is a deal breaker (I don't even care about the adaptive cruise at this point.) I just came back from a 6 hour drive, and the cruise shut off on me again for 2 hours. I tried a shut off and refuel during the middle of the 2 hours, and that didn't reset it. I've had my radar recalibrated 2 times, and finally the radar replaced. I've had this happen a couple of times after the radar was replaced. Making another appointment with Sprinter as I type.

And as you stated, this is a common problem on the new VS30 chassis. Highly disappointed.