Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

View 24v any upgrades storage

We recently purchased a 2018 view 24v pre-owned 10,300 miles. We have RV before though our first Winnebago and diesel engine. We looked almost a year before purchasing. DW, sorta persuaded DH to buy an RV that I could drive. Now don't get me wrong large coaches are awesome but not for me. DH apprehensive especially diesel (DEF) and size of the coach. We both realize space is limited.
DW looking for suggestions or gadgets that you have found helpful. One of my questions where do you store dirty laundry? My thought a basket under the sink along side a small wastebasket and skillets, small appliances, groceries, linens. I don't plan to cook much and if so will use an electric fry pan outside though I do enjoy cooking (space limited). I am sure a lot of people use paper plates and hate to be wasteful. I do plan taking some limited dishes. The twin beds are challenging to make up though our choice rather than corner bed. Anyone use the pull out to make the bed bigger? I am fairly organized and typically put things back in place so any suggestions appreciated. We have never towed before though considering. Do most of you tow or rent a car when you get to your spot for a few days or more? What do you tow if you do? DW has composed this post and appreciate it
any helpful information. Texasview
Texasview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just returned from first trip with our View 24V. We purchased fitted sheets and blanket from A B livestyle. The top sheet and blanket have bottom fitted. They are wonderful. No problem with the odd shape of bottom of mattress. The sheet and pillow case. We’re $59 and fleece blanket was $59. We bought 34 in but 30 in would also be ok.
Lyncjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

A couple of tips:

Take it to your Mercedes Sprinter store. If it has been serviced by MB, there will be a record or repairs & service. Transfer any remaining warranty to you. Also, have them check to see that all software updates have been applied. Check to see if there are outstanding recalls.

You want to have it serviced by MB because they have the diagnostic programs and the correct parts. Not to mention, trained Sprinter techs.

Use ONLY MB approved oil. Specification 229.52. Dealer has it for around $7.75 qt. Only 229.52 unless you want very $$$$$$$$$ repairs on the emission system.

Max oil capacity is ~ 12.5 qt. Hot. Do not over fill.

Change the oil when it tells you to change it.

I use only DEF from sealed jugs. I shy away from getting DEF at truck stops at the pumps. DEF is DEF. Just make sure it is fresh.

Get some Dually Valves for the rear tires. Makes it much easier to check and inflate.

Use no higher than the recommended tire pressure on placard on the driver's side door sill. You may be able to use a little less if under GVWR.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anything and everything you can do to save weight. Take just what you need for each trip. Replenish underway.
Keep asking questions.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

On our Navion 24V, we installed the Froli spring system we ordered from Litschinn.com. not only made it much more comfortable but it was easy to slide the mattress off and put the fitted sheets on it and put it back. We use a nylon bag with a drawstring to hold our dirty clothes and can hang the bag by the drawstring if we need to.

The best change we made was to replace the OEM antisway bar with the Hellwig stabilizer bar to the rear suspension. It took all the rocking and rolling out from side to side and made it much more stable as well as safer to drive!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We purchased a View 24V in June. First thing we did was remove the overhead mattress as we are only two and installed four cabinets with doors across the front. We gained about 25lbs as the trade off of mattress,/cabinets weight difference. Put food electric skillet toaster coffeemakers etc etc. We have an expandable basket for clothes which we store in shower stall. We just purchased a 2018 Chevy Spark as a toad. Weight is 2200, five speed stick, four door, drives nice and looks nice too! Had a roadmaster tow bar from our last toad and rv so had a roadmaster base plate installed last week. We a still learning so appreciate all the comments too.
cathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We just brought a 2018 Clev Equinox for Toad and enjoying it. We only lose 1-2 mpg with the road.
rfoster46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We've pulled a 2016 Jeep JKU without problems. Blue Ox towing kit, dealer installed.
Just back from first long trip out, and would parrot Old Crows recommendations, except that we've been using truck stop bulk DEF without any issues. Some say it's fresher than the jugs because it gets used regularly by the semi rigs, and so the supply is always being refreshed. Most bulk DEF is half the price or less of the jugs and there's none leftover, if being frugal matters to you. When filled, our DEF tank seems to last forever.
As far as diesel goes, that's where the truck stops fail. Many have added blends of bio-diesel to their pumps, and some are in the range of 5% to 20% which isn't recommended to be used in the MB 3.0L V6 turbo-diesel engines. Less than 5% bio-diesel is not desirable but MB says it can be used if necessary. If the diesel pump isn't marked at all, then the most the bio-diesel content can be is < 5%, by law. If it's marked with a label about bio-diesel it's probably going to be anywhere from 5% to ??%. We try to keep the bio-diesel out of our tank if possible, but sometimes it's unavoidable. Just read the labeling on the pumps, and be aware and you'll be OK. Dino-diesel preferred. Murphy USA, Exxon Mobil, and Meijer store pumps seem to be mostly dino-diesel near me, so I try to stick with them. Sam's Club also seems to have dino-diesel, when they have diesel. I think most Canadian fuel stops have very limited bio-diesel, so traveling in Canada should be worry free.
As for storage, it's pretty much put stuff wherever it fits. We downsized from a Sunstar 26HE, and went from 150 cu ft to just over 40 cu ft, if memory serves. Not pretty.
We use a pair of pillows, sleeping bags, and thermally insulated blankets we got in the sporting goods department at Walmart. Total cost was under $100, I'm thinking, give or take. We also have the froli system and the acrylic dual pane windows for extra insulation.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You asked about storage and a few other things and got a tutorial on all things View/Navion. I'll stick to storage.

We purchased a 2X8 hanging shoe storage device. It hangs from the bunk ladder rungs by the door. All kinds of junk gets stored in it - dog stuff, dog toys, water and soda bottles, etc. Very handy and less than $20.

For the area above the cab, we bought two plastic file cabinet type storage boxes. These get used for clothes storage, food, and so on for extended trips. Short weekend trips, they are empty. Our bag for dirty laundry rides up there as well but it also sits on the floor in the cab area quite a bit.

Extra hooks for hanging jackets, hats and so on, are always handy. Get yourself some Command hooks and stick where you like.

My wife convinced me to go to paper plates. It's actually been a great weight and water saver. Since both are limited in these little coaches, it's a double advantage. We still carry pots and pans, a toaster, and instead of a coffee maker, a French Press.

We have tinkered with what we carry for two years now and have, until recently, shuffled what a where it is stored. I think we finally have it where we want it. And guess what, we still have some empty storage space in the bedroom cabinets.

Last tip: duplicated as many things from your house/apartment that you can. Makes loading up for a trip so much easier - clothes, food, medicines and hit the road.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

We have had good luck with enterprise . Especially in or around cities , they have free delivery , seems most of the time we get the small jeeps delivered . They are so cheap
kind of a no brainer unless staying at a place for extended vacations . Nothing like having a nice motor home that you can parallel park on main st USA. More than not of the people I meet with the winney views have come from Class A's.
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, upgrade