Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

View 24M for full timing??

Hello, We are moving out of our class B so that we can eventually full time and we are looking at the View 24M. Any owners have input? Advice? Pros & Cons of the 24M for full timing? Thanks!
Jim & Cindy
The Wandering Wilsons
Jim&Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Cindy View Post
Hello, We are moving out of our class B so that we can eventually full time and we are looking at the View 24M. Any owners have input? Advice? Pros & Cons of the 24M for full timing? Thanks!
Jim & Cindy
The Wandering Wilsons
Not an owner, but I was madly in love with the 24V, I believe it was (twin beds in the back that make into a king) for awhile and was convinced we could full-time in it. Then we went in one, and even though it was cute and looked like it would be a breeze to drive, I immediately knew that no way could we live in it full-time. I am sure some do, and if I were single, I certainly could, but I couldn't do it with my husband and dog. Storage would have been a huge issue for us, and we carry a lot less "stuff" than many couples. Also, both being able to lounge comfortably when stuck inside the coach at night, on rainy days, etc.

One thing we loved about it was that we didn't want to have a toad, and you can drive the View anywhere.

Everyone is different, of course. Go see one if you haven't and spend time moving around in it, imagining where you'd sit, prepare food, move by each other when one is in the kitchen area and the other needs to use the bathroom, stuff like that. Go through the motions of daily life. And make sure the storage is going to work for you and any "toys" you might want to carry along. Good luck!

Emily
Old 02-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've known people who have full timed in a View of one model or another but when we retired and started taking longer trips (3-6 weeks,) we traded for a 30ft WGO Vista 30W w/2 slides. As "they" say, "Different strokes..." but my wife, cat and I were cramped in 2006 WGO View 24J. It was fine for 2-4 weeks but not much longer. YMMV.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You're going to get a lot of responses but all they can do is relate what someone else thinks and that is of little use to you since you will be living in the unit. People are very different when it comes to something like this.

FWIW we are nearly full-timing (8 month trip) right now in a 24J and are having no problems at all (two adults and a cat.) Out last rig was a 37' 5th wheel so we know what it is like to have all the room and storage you could want but we prefer the maneuverability of the View and the ability to go/stay most anywhere without concern, and in fact we'd never go back. Yes, the experience is different and I can easily see how it would not work for some but every type of RV involves trade-offs so the question is what characteristics will you value more? The maneuverability/parkability of a smaller unit or the comfort of a larger? Do you always stay at RV parks or do you like more out-of-the-way locations? Do you want a toad or do you want to be able to back up? Is your typical stay a month or a week? Do you like impromptu roadside stops or do you prefer working from a home base? Regarding storage, we spent about a year and a half full-timing in the 5th wheel and I think I probably didn't touch 80% of the crap we had along even once.

In the end you have to quantify what it most important to you and other opinions are pretty much irrelevant. You already have some experience in a smaller unit (and note that the livability difference between a Class B unit and a small Class C with a slide is enormous, with the latter you get much more room, full-size appliances, usable holding tanks, full dry bath, etc., all in a package not significantly more difficult to handle or park than a Class B.) Anyway the bottom line is that you know what you do and don't like about your RV experiences thus far so... go with your gut.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

As it has been stated everyone's needs are different. We stay in ours for three months in winter. We talked to different people and decided for longer term living we wanted a couch for relaxing and a chair also that you could watch tv from comfortably or be able to see tv from the front seats easily. We settled on a 30 foot cl a and have been happy.

If you could rent one and really try it for a few nights you might find what you need or want in one. Good luck
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2013 Forest River Solera which has more storage room than the View. It was the corner bed model which was a problem for us. We (two adults and two small dogs) travelled from WA to MD and back summer before last and it became evident that the sleeping arrangement did not suit my wife. We were on the road for 5 weeks and I ended up sleeping on the dinette convertible bed (not comfortable stuffing a 6ft body in little over a 5ft space. We traded up to a 2013 Winn Vista 27N which solved most of our issues with the previous coach. By the way we tow a toad (Smart car) behind both. Even though you could drive the Solera just about anywhere (it's tall so you have to watch out for the attack trees) it became tedious to break down camp to go anywhere and then reset when we got back. Yes you can't backup with the toad attached but it's just two pins and two safety chains, and the electrical connection...a lot easier packing up every time we wanted to go exploring. We didn't fulltime but that five weeks on the road gave us a good idea that the Solera wasn't the one...for us.
Devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just my take after owning 6 or 7 different rigs over the last 35 years. We downsized from a 38' diesel pusher to the Navion V last year. We don't fulltime but do many trips a year up to a month at a time.
We don't miss the big rig a bit. So much less stress without towing, and being able to back up. Not restricted by towing speed limits.
We studied floor plans carefully.
We eliminated the J for the corner bed reasons stated by the previous post. We eliminated the G (my favorite) for the inability to use the bed while travelling, and inability to haul bikes on the back (fixed in 2016 by W with a slide mounted carrier) Also sometimes we stealth-camp and don't extend slides.....
We eliminated the M because we wanted a permanent bedroom, and the ability to read or watch tv individually, plus I like to get up early, make coffee and let DW sleep in.
We don't even carry the cushion to join the beds or slide out the extension. We can tolerate the twin beds while travelling. We are real happy with the V. We did replaced the jackknife sofa with a Lambright double recliner love seat.*
8000 miles on the V since September 2015, Leaving for 30 days/5000 mile NOLA trip in 2 weeks. Alaska in 2017!

*(if you want to see that mod, join the View/Navion FB group.)
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs911 View Post
We are real happy with the V. We did replaced the jackknife sofa with a Lambright double recliner love seat.*
That sounds like a great mod. We weren't sure we could both get comfortable on the sofa. If we were ever to consider a smaller RV, we'd do this for sure. Did the dealer do the mod, or did you do it after purchasing?
Old 02-20-2016, 06:03 AM   #9

I ran across a couple back in 2012 that were full-time RVing in an Airstream Bambi trailer.

It just depends on each individuals needs and preferences.

For me I have been living in a coach for almost 14 years and chose a 40 foot Monaco coach triple slide with lots of inside and outside storage. If I had a 45 foot coach it would be more than likely filled to the max also.

I wanted to be somewhat comfortable while full-time RVing so that's why I decided on the size that I have.

You could rent a RV in the size that you are interested in using to give you some idea as to whether it would work on not. That way you wouldn't be out the lost money when trading in to upgrade to a larger rig.

Back in California I was living next to a couple who started out with a tow trailer then traded for a medium size motorhome then traded for a larger motorhome with one slide-out then traded for a larger size motorhome with even more slide-outs. Trust me he had lost thousands of dollars each time he traded up whereas if he had taken his time to do the research beforehand as to what they needed to live full-time and be comfortable he could have saved himself lots of money and grief.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Back in California I was living next to a couple who started out with a tow trailer then traded for a medium size motorhome then traded for a larger motorhome with one slide-out then traded for a larger size motorhome with even more slide-outs. Trust me he had lost thousands of dollars each time he traded up whereas if he had taken his time to do the research beforehand as to what they needed to live full-time and be comfortable he could have saved himself lots of money and grief.
That works in the other direction too
Old 02-21-2016, 05:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
This is true -- however, no matter what you think ahead of time and how much soul-searching you do, it can be hard to know what you really want and need until you are actually full-timing. You can really only do a best guess, knowing yourself and how much luxury and storage space you need.

We considered a Class B, a B+, and a small C before finally deciding that a on-the-smaller-side Class A was the right choice for us for full-timing. So far, we are very happy with our choice and glad that we didn't try to go any smaller. Then again, we are only 1.5 months in. We may feel differently in a year or two. Our dealer told us we'll be trading up for a larger one sooner rather than later, but we are hoping to prove him wrong since we think we have enough comfort and space for the two of us, our toys, and our small dog. Like you say, it's likely we'd lose money by trading so we're hoping we got it right the first time. But we won't know that until later. Hindsight, as always, is 20/20!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have an "M" model view, and have mixed feelings. We are retired,but not full timers. Our longest trip has been three weeks, and we move around a lot. We tow a jeep if we will be staying in one place for a week or so, but do without the toad if sightseeing. The biggest problem is setting up the airbed each night, but it is very comfortable. I've read the new foldout is not so. The wide open floorplan is what attracted us. Being a tad claustrophobic, the M was our only choice. In the 4 years we have owned a total of 40,000 miles has accrued, and all without any major issue. The biggest factor in full timing in an M, would have to be mental. I am not sure my wife and I could stand the smallness, and we have been married 50+ years, but we have met folks full timing in a "B" unit, ERA, and doing quite well. Only you can decide. For us , if we were staying 2-3 months in one spot a 40 footer would probably be mandatory. Traveling every day, the M fills the bill.
Geoffpruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I don't own a sprinter, but I have considered them extensively.. We've also done the "full time" thing for 9 months in a Class-A.

No way I'd do it in a Sprinter.
Assuming you're thinking of a new one, there are LOTS of options in the used market for full size A's and C's that are quite nice, dependable, and reliable.

I would absolutely buy a Sprinter as the RV to have if I was doing a lot of over-the-road. The View is the right model. It's the right size, the right MPG, and I think its just excellent for road trips of a month, maybe more. I wouldn't full time in it.

Be aware also that (like many motorized RVs) there are challenges of getting them serviced on the chassis side...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Everything depends on frame of mind and what type of experience you're looking for. We've done it both ways (37' 5th wheel and 25' Winnebago View J) and both have their advantages. Personally I love the freedom of being able to go anywhere, stop anywhere, and not have to think for a second about whether we will be able to park or turn or clear those trees or whatever. We like state and national campgrounds and in our current configuration there's no concern about whether one of the five spaces (if even that) that will fit a large vehicle is available, if there is any space at all we're good. We also like to explore as we go and that wasn't possible with a large rig, just got too tired of wondering what was waiting after the exit ramp. Certainly there's a trade-off and whether it's worth it or not depends on the individual. Sometimes we spend a week or a month in the same place and for us... no problem. We even met another couple full-timing in a View after living on a boat for several years and they appreciated the 'extra room', lol. If you want to have three dogs and carry suburbia with you then a small RV is certainly not for you and that's fine. As with all things in life in order to be happy you first have to determine who 'you' are.