Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

View 24J Noisy

We have a 2017 View 24J. It is so loud when driving down the road, I feel like the windows and the road noise echos in the RV. Everyone says the noise depends on the road we are on. I agree with that however when you are driving its like 50/50 roads. We like to listen to books but its almost impossible to hear it, or only 50% of the time.

I wish the windows had better sound proof, I would have thought that would have been automatic. And the floor would be insulated better to help with the road noise.

Is anyone else having this problem? Do we need to upgrade the stereo? Any suggestions would be great! Its driving me crazy!
Tuck2family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

if it's general noise... ear plugs or turn up the radio or noise canceling headset
Old 05-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Is this your first motorhome? I can tell you that they are all noisy; the rattling of dishes, pots, etc. just adds to the general RVing experience!! You will find that you can make some adjustments to quiet some things, and you will get more accustomed to it.

A smaller RV such as the View has a limited carrying capacity, so addition of more sound-deadening insulation would only reduce the OCCC. There are many trade-offs with RVs.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Oh yes, I run around that RV every trip trying to find out where that rattling is coming from and usually its a stray cup or plate, or blinds. I can't figure out where the noise is, whether its the floor or the windows. I am hoping one day to go to manufacturer one day, (I live in Iowa) to ask them but I'm thinking maybe noise canceling ear buds might be our best solution to hear the radio. I was wondering if anyone else installed a new stereo system, or speakers, or put a noise reducing product in the front floor or under. We installed the Sumo springs and that made a huge difference in the rocking and next the sway bar or look into different shocks. Honestly it helped a little with the noise too.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

What tire pressure are you using??????? Over pressure tires lack sidewall flexibility and make the ride hard and noisy. You don't need more than the pressure recommended on the driver side placard. Usually, that is 61 psi all around.

Tires make a difference. Do you have the OEM Continental Vanco Four Seasons? Tires with stiffer sidewalls ride harder and may be noisier than a 'softer' tire.

Sumo Springs may be contributing to the noise vs the Sumo Solos (bump stop replacements). Part of the game here is to have a very compliant suspension not a stiffer one.

As you know, road surface makes a big difference in noise levels. Our Sprinter can be as quiet as a hybrid or sound like a washboard in a cheap band depending on the road surface. They are not ... ever ... going to be a quiet as a Lexus or Infinity.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We just installed the Sumo springs and it was noisy from day 1. I will check on the tire pressure. I guess it is what it is. I don’t know maybe a camper van would be quieter. I guess I’ll try noise canceling head phones.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Tire brand, type and size ? Inflation pressures??????

Is your View a "profile" (smooth cabover) or one with the bunkbed "snout"?

To be clear.... Road noise or wind noise?
Windows and vents closed?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Tires are whatever came with the RV. Its in the cab that is noisy I don't know if its road or wind noise. when I am in the back its definately road noise. My husband says its the shape of the rv. We have bed above us.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck2family View Post
Tires are whatever came with the RV. Its in the cab that is noisy I don't know if its road or wind noise. when I am in the back its definately road noise. My husband says its the shape of the rv. We have bed above us.
Good. The tires a probably Continental Vanco Four Seasons. Pretty good tires. Not too pricey if you have to replace one or the lot. We've had them on our Cass B and the View. Also have Contees on my Sienna van. They are about a quiet as you can get.

What you are experiencing sounds typical of a View. There is more road noise in the rear probably due to the suspension and probably less sound & vibration damping in a coach vs a van. You might check the installation of the Sumo springs. If they are "connected" to the axle and the chassis, it will transmit vibration (sound) to the coach.

Sprinters are pretty darn quiet mechanically and well engineered to damp sound and vibration in the cab. Adding more isn't going to be worth the effort and expense. OK, so what's left?

A Class C (especially with the bunk house snout over cab) is really not very aerodynamic. Mother Benz has continually refined the aero aspects of the Sprinter chassis since the NCV3 body was brought out about 10 years ago. There are very subtle tweeks in shapes, grills, fenders, windshields, etc., to decrease air drag. The problems arise when you add a house behind the cab snout over the cab. What was once a pretty slick van now has areodynamics of a big, fat barn. If you have ever been in an old barn during a storm you know what I mean.

Its noisy...it vibrates...its drafty.. It creeks and groans. In your RV, its the same thing. The air passing by at 65mph becomes very turbulent and noisy. Especially around the windshield and snout, tops of the doors and just behind the doors where the house pops out from the cab. And that buffeting carries on down the sides adding to the racket.

Put in perspective, its no different than any similar Class C. Some may be slightly better or worse than another. Just opine, but if you want noisy... drive a Ford or Chebby cab Class C.

Safety tip... Please do not ride in the rear of your RV. Our neighbor's wife was in the back of their Class A when he made a tire smoking emergency stop. She flew about 20 feet through the aisle and crashed into the dash breaking her back and ribs. The bones didn't heal and she died in hospital 2 years later from aquired MERSA.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #10

2018 View 24J Road Noise

Our 2018 View 24J gets some road noise depending upon the road surface. Rough roads tend to generate more noise, but nothing that would require noise canceling ear buds.

We have the same tires as you, but no Sumo springs or bumpers.

We do get some diesel engine noise, but nothing extraordinary, along with the inevitable squeaks and rattles in the cabin caused by door squeaks, shades, pots & pans, cargo, etc., that require endless attention. We carry lots of padding and blue painters tape (for shades ties mostly). We put foam window insulation on the back side of shades to keep them from bumping against window frames.

All things considered, it's a diesel truck/RV and there will always be some noise. After about 4,200 miles now, we are getting used to the typical squeaks and rattles and have learned how to batten everything down to minimize them.

Now if we could only find a way to keep the cushions on the lounge "bed" from falling onto the floor. Our latest solution is a rubber mat underneath them.
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Good. The tires a probably Continental Vanco Four Seasons. Pretty good tires. Not too pricey if you have to replace one or the lot. We've had them on our Cass B and the View. Also have Contees on my Sienna van. They are about a quiet as you can get.

What you are experiencing sounds typical of a View. There is more road noise in the rear probably due to the suspension and probably less sound & vibration damping in a coach vs a van. You might check the installation of the Sumo springs. If they are "connected" to the axle and the chassis, it will transmit vibration (sound) to the coach.

Sprinters are pretty darn quiet mechanically and well engineered to damp sound and vibration in the cab. Adding more isn't going to be worth the effort and expense. OK, so what's left?

A Class C (especially with the bunk house snout over cab) is really not very aerodynamic. Mother Benz has continually refined the aero aspects of the Sprinter chassis since the NCV3 body was brought out about 10 years ago. There are very subtle tweeks in shapes, grills, fenders, windshields, etc., to decrease air drag. The problems arise when you add a house behind the cab snout over the cab. What was once a pretty slick van now has areodynamics of a big, fat barn. If you have ever been in an old barn during a storm you know what I mean.

Its noisy...it vibrates...its drafty.. It creeks and groans. In your RV, its the same thing. The air passing by at 65mph becomes very turbulent and noisy. Especially around the windshield and snout, tops of the doors and just behind the doors where the house pops out from the cab. And that buffeting carries on down the sides adding to the racket.

Put in perspective, its no different than any similar Class C. Some may be slightly better or worse than another. Just opine, but if you want noisy... drive a Ford or Chebby cab Class C.

Safety tip... Please do not ride in the rear of your RV. Our neighbor's wife was in the back of their Class A when he made a tire smoking emergency stop. She flew about 20 feet through the aisle and crashed into the dash breaking her back and ribs. The bones didn't heal and she died in hospital 2 years later from aquired MERSA.
Thank you for your indepth response. Extremely helpful! I want to drive a smaller class b with no overhead bunk for both sound and size. We aren't "campers" so to speak, but travel when we can and rarely stay two nights in one place, usually we drive to a spot, stay the night, ride our bikes, or see an attraction and either stay again that night, but usually we pack up and move to the next location. Im not sure I will like a B but I think I may try to rent one just to see if we can handle the small space, I'm not a fan of the u shape table, so thats an issue I don't like either.

I rarely sit in the back usually Im back there trying to figure out what the heck is rattling back there. I'm usually in the front navigating. lol

Thanks for the response. Very helpful.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD49 View Post
Our 2018 View 24J gets some road noise depending upon the road surface. Rough roads tend to generate more noise, but nothing that would require noise canceling ear buds.

We have the same tires as you, but no Sumo springs or bumpers.

We do get some diesel engine noise, but nothing extraordinary, along with the inevitable squeaks and rattles in the cabin caused by door squeaks, shades, pots & pans, cargo, etc., that require endless attention. We carry lots of padding and blue painters tape (for shades ties mostly). We put foam window insulation on the back side of shades to keep them from bumping against window frames.

All things considered, it's a diesel truck/RV and there will always be some noise. After about 4,200 miles now, we are getting used to the typical squeaks and rattles and have learned how to batten everything down to minimize them.

Now if we could only find a way to keep the cushions on the lounge "bed" from falling onto the floor. Our latest solution is a rubber mat underneath them.
I think I'm used to a quieter ride, and maybe that's just the nature of the beast so you say. I would like to see if anyone has made any changes to the speakers we really like to listen to books on tape when we travel. AND I totally agree with the bed issue, it drives me crazy too. Actually I am definately not a fan of our u shaped dining table/bed set up at all. Its uncomfortable, the cushions always fall off. So that's another issue I'm working on. Maybe replacing it with something else.

Sounds like I don't like the RV, but I do. We have quite a few miles on it for almost having it for a year. I wish I would have rented one before I bought it. It is super nice inside and I know I have to give up a few things, so I'll keep working on it! We have been to some amazing places in it, we really enjoy traveling.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Just came back from a 500+ miles trip to Alpine, TX. The two big sources of noise were the kitchen mini-blind and road noise from the tires. There were roads that were so rough that you had to shout over the noise, others were very smooth and generated very little noise and both were in the same 70 mile stretch of US 90 from Marfa to Van Horn. Just something you have to live with unless you want to change tires. Michelins are reported to be quieter than the Continental tires that are standard.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Suggestion(s): If you haven't yet found it, there's a menu button on the dash radio screen. You can dive in and change the sound/speaker profiles. We do BoT also. Really books on MP3 plugging in to the 3.5mm input jack with a patch cord.

Also, Jenson radio in the galley has 3 buttons: A, B & C. They control two different speaker sets. Outside and the ones in the lounge. There's pair above the cab seats and a pair over the sofa and a woofer in the galley cabinets.

Also, there's contols for sound profiles & balance on the Jenson.

Maybe that will help....

Oh...a big fat rattle & clanging may come from the rack and glass plate in the microwave! Wrap in a towel.

And.... A challenging noise is the exterior stove vent. It has a plastic flap that blocks airflow when not in use. The constantly changing positive pressure inside the RV will cause the flap to snap open and closed. Annoying! The fix is to take the fluffy part of a Swiffer and making sure the flap is closed....push the Swiffer into the opening to jam it closed. Use the Swiffer handle to place and remove.... Pull it out when you need the range hood.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Speakers & Window/Tire Noise

I consulted Crutchfield for speakers that had a punch in my RV environment. If I recall correctly they recommended the Boston Brand, please double check with them. The speaker has a coaxial tweeter.
My widows used to vibrate about 1/4 inch at 60mph (2003 Sightseer). I added AIRTABS on the leading edge of the windshield sides. Very large and powerful vortices were changed to over a dozen small vortices by the AIRTABS. The front windows vibrate now 1/32 inch or less.
Michelin tires (15") have a tread design that varies in size throughout the perimeter. Visually verify this before buying. This spreads the contact energy over a wide sound spectrum thus making the tire appear quieter and lacking a whine. I was there when it was developed and it is based on the Bessel Function normally used to model FM radio modulation.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I think I will check the speakers and make sure I have them set correctly, guess I didn't think of that. Geez I hope we haven't been driving down the road with the speakers on outside...??? I'll sound like an ice cream truck! AIR TABS, I'm not sure what that is, so I'll do some searching on the web to check it out.

I really considered selling our View 24j and going to the FUSE. But omg that rv is super noisy. Dealer said its a problem with the door, surprising how they didn't fix that since its been there a year. I'm not sure I would have taken someone on a test ride with that mess going on.

So I have a couple of things to look at, including the glass in the microwave. Its at the dealership now for a little warranty work so hope to have it back so I can take try these suggestions. Thanks ALL!
Old 06-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The dash radio is useless in my 2017 View. Too much wind noise and road noise so I don't listen to it. I would like book DVDs on long trips. It would be nice if it had an earphone jack or 2.
1953Tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I have a 17 View and agree the radio/View has issues at freeway speeds. I can not hear it either. I am working on a solution. The unit has an internal fade front to rear control but there are no rear speakers. I have a local radio shop looking for a Bluetooth unit that could be added to the rear channel so that I could use any Bluetooth headset anywhere in the View.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Check your screen door if you have not already. Most of the rattle in our VIEW came from that. I caulked the panels with clear silicone and it made an incredible difference.
notbusdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Still noisy. I got noise cancelling headphones to listen to radio or books on tape. I still can’t believe that Winnebago wouldn’t address this. We drive it all the time! I wish they would work on the cab area for better sound quality.