Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

View 24G 2019.

I am a new RVer. Bought the new 2019 View 24G in September

When docked full hookup with pump off because water supply is hooked up and on
There is a 20 second sound of something running under the back end. It seems to repeat for 20 seconds every 20 to 45 minutes.

I think the same sound may have happened when unhooked and in my drive before I took it to storage. Is there a fan down there or does the inverter make such a noise. I bought it in Illinois but have it permanently in Tucson, AZ and the Winne dealer, LaMesa wants to charge me to look at it even tho it is still under warrantee.

Phil

What is it
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On our 2014 the inverter and occasionally running fan is located on the ceiling of the first storage bay after the entrance door. Yours may be different of course.

You may want to check the Winnebago drawings for your year;

Winnebago Industries
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I am also in Tucson. I have a 2017 View. PM me and maybe we can get together and compare rigs and find the issue.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My guess would be you are hearing the converter fan. Try unplugging and running on the batteries for a while. If your sound disappears, then you have found the noise (which is normal, BTW).

You should probably leave your inverter off as it can, even without a load on it, run your batteries down when you are on batteries. You can't run much on it anyway other than the main TV. It's too small for the microwave, toaster, or even a coffee maker.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You should probably leave your inverter off as it can, even without a load on it, run your batteries down when you are on batteries. You can't run much on it anyway other than the main TV. It's too small for the microwave, toaster, or even a coffee maker.
However the inverter fan will run occasionally even when powered Off and connected to shore power.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

This is a WAG, if a '19 is like a '14 View 24G.....

Hey! Hey! What's that sound.... everybody look around!!!!

Is it a 'hum' or sound like the fan on a computer? OR, does it sound like a wild eyed woodpecker beating on the roof?

Woodpecker & chattering sounds coming from the port side rear next to the back wall, is NOT the inverter/converter. It is the water pump. WPs will operate for several seconds and shut off IF there is a small leak somewhere in the pressurized system. So, somewhere there may be a very small drip that releases the pressure causing the pump to cut on and the shut off as pressure is restored.

If you look closely, there may be a 'step' next to the bed and the back wall. The carpeted top is removable for access to the the water pump and filter. Actually you might get friendly with this compartment so you know where the pump and filter screen is located.....

If the pump is off and you are on shore water, it may be the one way valve at the shore power hose connection chattering. Again, it's telling you that there is a very small leak somewhere on the pressure side of the system. OR.... that the pressure is too high from the shore water supply. Are you using a pressure reducer? You should, if you are not.

Also, do check the ALL valve positions in the 'water closet'. Make sure you have to put it to shore or fill depending on how you are hooked up.

It is unlikely that the sound is the converter/charger if it is at the rear of the RV. On '14s and presumably later years, the I/C is located under the fridge on the floor near the electric service panel (fuses & CBs under the fridge. On a 14 you can open the pantry door and pull out the lower drawer and see it located on the floor almost under the fridge. I've no idea how you get to it on the newer ones.

The I/C does have a fan but it is hardly, if ever, runs. It will not short cycle as you described but run until the power consumption is down and the unit cools off. Like quite awhile actually.

There is a remote possibility if it is a humming sound that you MAY be hearing the fan on the inverter running. The inverter on a '14 is located on the starboard side, forward, cargo bay between the main hatch and the rear axle. It's on the 'ceiling' of the cargo bay. You can test this by turning on the inverter (controls next to the One-Place panel). The unit will turn on and just go open the hatch and listen for the fan to crank up. And there's a bonus on that inverter. If it's a Zantex (check the label on the control panel!) there is a duplex 110V AC outlet on the end facing the back wall of the cargo bay. That's handy for putting a 'charger/wall wort on your 'jumper pack' or any other battery device you need to charge.

I hope this helps...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Does your rig have a tankless water heater?? Those units are designed to keep HOT water in the system at all times so you have it instantly. It will cycle on and off to do that. There is also a "conserve" position on that switch that only cycles when the temp gets to...I think 41degrees or there abouts. Depending on outside temps, this will cycle accordingly.
DariusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ah ha. Thanks
Old 03-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Phil, you said you are on full hookups. If that’s the case, there is no need to use the inverter. The inverter converts 12VDC TO 120VAC when you don’t have shore power and need to operate an AC appliance for a short period.
Yes, inverters have a cooling fan that runs intermittently. Not sure what fridge you have, but the Norcold in our 17 View 24J has fans that run intermittently.
Bob
2017 V24J NorCal
Bobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I found the cause. The water heater was cycling. So now I set it to heat eco and it does not recycle to keep it's reservoir constantly hot.