Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Useless View/Navion sewer hose compartment

Any of you View/Navion owners figure out a use for the sewer hose compartment? Would have been a good idea, if it would only accommodate a hose that had couplings on both ends. Tried to put a 30 Amp extension cord or a 15' flush out hose in there, but neither would go well. Best solution I can think of is to just remove it to eliminate the weight.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Bin there, dumped that......
https://www.google.com/search?ei=DaZ...cscATUQ4dUDCAw
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The 2014 Navion storage is just as bad. Only thing I have used it for so far is rope, small extension cords, wrench and bungee cords. On the 2014 it is just a plastic tube with dead space underneath it. I am thinking about fabricating a box in that location and removing the plastic tube so the hole will be larger..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200901_155709.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	174845  
Old 09-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Living The Dream

Removed the white plastic thing altogether, covered the square hole. Now the storage bay is larger.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

About what I figured. Agree that the Winnebago designers should all be required to use what they design rather than be told how to fix things by their customers.

Think that I'll follow the crowd and just remove the box. Unfortunately, it won't provide me with any additional basement storage space in my 2019 model.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use the one on my 2016 Navion to store a 10 foot Prest-O-Fit hose - fits fine. Works great at dump stations, if I have a FHU campsite I sometimes have to use an extension, but I rarely have a FHU site so it's not a big deal.
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

There is one of those in my 2018 Fuse and it is just as useless. In fact the only dump hose storage location that has ever been usable in any RV that I have ever had was the bumper storage in a TT that we owned some years ago.

All of the built-in hose storage locations in our RVs have been too short, too narrow and too difficult to use. I keep the dump hose in a covered plastic container with the attachments and just store it in external storage.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
Any of you View/Navion owners figure out a use for the sewer hose compartment? Would have been a good idea, if it would only accommodate a hose that had couplings on both ends. Tried to put a 30 Amp extension cord or a 15' flush out hose in there, but neither would go well. Best solution I can think of is to just remove it to eliminate the weight.
I also had the same problem with my 2019 view 24 D and I removed the compartment completely and mounted an inexpensive 3" area drain pipe tucked under the back of coach in front of the stabilizer bracket. I used stainless steel hose clamps and drilled holes in the bottom of the pipe to allow water to drain out. I then used the existing strap from the old compartment to hold the hose in place. I capped the other end and can store 30 feet of hose. I was able to put the straight part of my 2 piece sewer elbow and store the elbow part of it in the wet compartment on the other side. I gained a considerable amount of space in the long compartment after removing the hose tank.

Side note. the wet compartment is pretty air tight and I drilled holes in the bottom and inside side of the compartment and from Home Depot bought window screen repair that glues over the holes to prevent insects from entering. No my compartment doesn't sweat on the ceiling of the wet compartment.
johnmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I removed the metal panel that serves no purpose. Should I ever need an extension, the hose without cap fits and I carry a twist on end. And as I type this it occur to me that its a stupid thing to worry about - I shall remove the plastic / nylon container ad give myself a little more storage for more junk.
MarinerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I use mine to hold an extension hose without the fittings. If we need extra hose it only takes a few minute to put on the fittings. Otherwise I don't know why the Winnie people couldn't make the holes large enough to accomodate a hose with fittings.
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #11
bkg
Winnebago Owner

There is a guy that makes a fabricated aluminum "box" that replaces the plastic hose compartment. It mounted in a similar way and used the same opening, but it was more of a box rather than the serpentine compartment.
But I've seem to have lost his information.

Anyway, I was at an RV show last fall and Winnebago reps were present. I mentioned the issue with the sewer hose compartment. They informed me that it is intended for the storage of a dump hose (like the one they include in the new coach). A dump hose is used at dump stations that have the flip-up cap and don't require a connector fitting, just drop the hose in and dump.

With this information, I changed my process. I store my dump station hose with the one bayonnet connection in the hose storage and my hoses for sewer at the campsite are stored in a rubbermaid wet box.

It kinda really worked better. We recently stayed at a campground that only had a dump station. At the end of our stay I simply pulled up to the dump station and pulled out the bayonnet end of the hose and connected it to the RV and dropped the other end in the station port. The cap kept the hose in place. All done, just slinked the hose back into the hose storage.

Bobby
Old 09-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I also just removed mine- got back a significant amount of storage space!
Old 09-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sewer hose

I used a Tupperware container for a storage compartment about 16 inches square And 6 inches high next to the rear bumper and under the electrical / water compartment. I screwed two straps to The frame to hold the Tupperware container In place tight to the bottom of the rv. I cut a slot in the side for putting away the 15 ft sewer hose and put a bunge strap across the opening the secure it. I also removed the factory hose and the compartment around it as the drain for the hose was causing rain water from the road to leak in. This gave me another 16 inch’s of storage. I have put this setup on three RV’s so far It keeps the sewer hose outside of the rv and I have easy access to it when I dump.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
I use it for what it is intended for. When I need to hook up I attach a coupling to the end of the hose that goes in first, a task yes but not a big deal. When I dump I typically put that end of the hose in the waste receptacle, wash it down as I take it out. I cut the hose as long as the cavity will hold. I wish it were longer but so far so good.
Winnefredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

BKG - Thanks for asking the embarrassing question to the Winnebago reps. I guess their answer is plausible, but I still think that a single ended hose is almost useless.

I mounted one of the after market extendable sewer hose tubes to the chassis just in front of my stabilizer jacks, like some others did. I have two 10' sections that allows me to use only as much as I need.

I can obviously remove the existing useless chamber, but don't think that I'll gain any basement storage area. The compartment forward of the chamber has a hard wall separating the two. I'll have to check again.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have been using the short, useless hose at dump stations on this trip as suggested by BKG.
It is easier than getting out the long hose with the clear elbow and is easier to rinse and stow too.
I'll still have to use the long hose at home and at FHU sites.
Thx BKG. Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Replacement for View original sewer hose?

We just purchased a used 2019 View 24J, and the factory-supplied hose didn't come with it. We're only doing short trips, so we're just using the dump stations and not connecting at the campsites. I'd like to buy a replacement for that original hose, but I'm having trouble finding one that fits. Can anyone recommend a hose that will fit in the supplied sewer hose storage unit on a View/Navion?
curlycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Ten foot Prest-O-Fit. Available on Amazon.
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago fixed the problem with the 2021 Navion by eliminating the sewer hose compartment altogether. I will be installing a Valtera extendable tube for my hoses. It does amaze me that for such an expensive RV that one has to find a way to haul around a sewer hose. My prior RV cost 20% as much but it had a storage place in the rear bumper for the hose.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
It does amaze me that for such an expensive RV that one has to find a way to haul around a sewer hose. My prior RV cost 20% as much but it had a storage place in the rear bumper for the hose.
A Hi-Lo trailer that we used some years ago had one of those bumper storage areas but I did not find it very useful. It stored the sewer hose but not the connections I needed to successfully dump (the 90 degree elbow and the part that fit into the dump opening) and I had to keep those separately. Eventually I ended up just carrying around a plastic container with all of the stuff that I needed to dump, and that is what I do with our Winnie Fuse.

The Fuse does have one of those storage areas but I find it completely useless for the same reason as with the Hi-Lo trailer. The plastic container I now carry stores the hose, the connectors, a bag of plastic throw-away gloves and a towel that I use when I have to sit down on the ground to get to the black and grey tank values. Having everything in one place makes dumping faster. No less unpleasant, but faster.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote