Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TST Tire Monitor System

I have a Winnie View on the MB chasis and would like to know if I can use my TST system with flow through caps. Originally bought the system for my 40' coach and didn't worry about the one ounce valve cover. My question is: Will the one ounce valve cover effect the balance of my wheels? Or should I invest in the no flow through caps?
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Interesting question. I'm sure it will affect the balance, but the real question is to what degree?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemosavvy View Post
I have a Winnie View on the MB chasis and would like to know if I can use my TST system with flow through caps. Originally bought the system for my 40' coach and didn't worry about the one ounce valve cover. My question is: Will the one ounce valve cover effect the balance of my wheels? Or should I invest in the no flow through caps?
Not directly related to your question, but I read a thread or 2 a while back about folks who developed leaks on the Sprinter chassis due to their TPMS sensors which they installed on the OEM rubber valve stems. IIRC it was with the MB chassis. Dunno if that info is valid for your rig, but felt I should mention it.

Also, I went the other direction on my rig (even though I installed steel "dually" valve stems); i.e., I now use TST's cap-type sensors. With the flow through-type, I was getting some damage to the valve stem threads with the setscrews (probably my bad.) For me, the one downside for the cap type is that they are a real bear to service with new batteries, etc; with the flow-through type, the job was much easier.

Be safe.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I use the flow through sensors on my six RV wheels. Just remember, the manual says you can only use the flow-through sensors on steel stems. Although I had metal stems, I couldn't reach the inside rear stems. I bought these and actually used them on all six tires. These are superb! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I use the TST cap sensors (not flow through) that I moved from my 40’ DP when I bought my 20VJ. But I had the dealer install Borg stainless steel stems before taking delivery. I haven’t noticed any affect on the tire balance.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I installed 6 TST flow-thrus on existing stainless steel extensions about 6 months ago on my Cambria 30J. No problems. No vibration in the steering wheel. But I have not had the balance checked. I suspect they are so light and located about mid-radius (far from the wheel outer radius) that the centrifugal effect is minimal. I would HOPE that TST would provide a “ Caution” in their literature, if there were a significant effect.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing about the distance of the sensor. I'll give them a try. Don't wan't to spend $300 on cap sensors.
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

To resolve some of the worry about stem wear or the sensor flopping around, I found a set of stems which came with "L" brackets to pop rivet them to the wheel covers. I also did not like the setscrew working into the valve stem threads and the size of the non-flow through is significant for me. I also like a totally sealed unit for the battery corrosion factor. Wheels take a beating and getting a rubber type seal to last is tough.
This style leaves the extension screwed to the bracket and is very solid and I found the flexible extension much easier to place and work to fit. I'm not too concerned with wear on it as it doesn't move much.
At least if it does start to leak, the TPMS will tell me before it's a real problem!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3813.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	175137  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote