Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 04:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question TPMS on 2018 View 24V

Anyone add tire pressure monitoring to rubber stemmed Mercedes tires? My dealer never heard of it, Doug.
Dougherzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

many threads on the subject if you search....

you must change the valves to metal, the rubber ones won't hold up
Old 09-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Mercedes valve stems should be replaced - whether or not you decide to use a TPMS system. The "fix" is Borg valve stems. These are manufactured to fit your specific vehicle and bring all of the valve stems straight out so you can fill/monitor the tires properly. They require installation by a tire dealer. At about $140 for a set of six plus $10/wheel installed, you will have metal valve stems and be able to check/fill your tires without issue. TP sensors can easily be mounted as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Go to the site below and you can use this system on rubber valves.

https://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Monito...omotive&sr=1-6
Westonbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

review of the system that's OK with rubber stems....

They can mount on either however I would recommend steel valve stems. I had one rubber valve stem that went bad and may or may not have been due to the monitor. I think it was just a fluke though. I now have all steel stems though.
By RON on January 28, 2019
Old 09-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
Living The Dream

Get some metal stems ... way safer and easier to check/adjust tire pressure. It just makes sense. Just because you “can” do something doesn’t mean you “should.” If you’ve ever had a blowout in a motorhome, you’ll likely agree that what’s between your a** and the road at 60+ MPH is not where you attempt to save a few bucks.

That’s my $.02. Other funds spent on good metal stems.

YMMV
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonbum View Post
Go to the site below and you can use this system on rubber valves.

https://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Monito...omotive&sr=1-6
I have the new TST 507 cap sensors that weigh 0.6 ounces. After 400 miles the caps (on metal dually extensions) had flat spots from hitting the wheel. They were about 1/4" away so they were really flexing. I second the idea of replacing the valve stems with metal ones. That's what I did with my EZE Tow Dolly.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

TPMS on 2018 View 24V

Had two rubber valve stems fail on my TOAD after installing TPMS sensors. Very slow leaks in both cases. Recommend you replace with metal stems.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobway47 View Post
Had two rubber valve stems fail on my TOAD after installing TPMS sensors. Very slow leaks in both cases. Recommend you replace with metal stems.
Yuck. My toad has the TPMS sensors built into the valve stems and they're rubber so I hope they're stronger...

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

TPMS

I recently had our Winnebago Spirit equipped with a TPMS system. I am using the BORG metal tire valves extenders. Which were $140 for 6 extenders plus $215 to have the 6 wheels removed and remounted with the new valves installed. I used TST507 ($350 with six sensors) system to monitor tire pressures and heat. It has a color monitor and is available with flow thru sensors or cap sensors. It is was easy to set up and use. We had a problem with one flow thru sensor and the valve being to close. Our tire dealer fixed that and everything works GREAT. Just remember due to the size of the flow thru sensor being bigger than the cap sensor, the valves must be placed correctly.
millards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Mercedes valve stems should be replaced - whether or not you decide to use a TPMS system. The "fix" is Borg valve stems. These are manufactured to fit your specific vehicle and bring all of the valve stems straight out so you can fill/monitor the tires properly. They require installation by a tire dealer. At about $140 for a set of six plus $10/wheel installed, you will have metal valve stems and be able to check/fill your tires without issue. TP sensors can easily be mounted as well.
Thanks alot. Will Mercedes do this or what tire type place do I go to? Any warranty issues. Again, your respond is great. Doug.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #12
2019 Minnie Winnie 22M

When I purchased my RV in June they talked me into having Multi Seal installed in the tires. Whether that was a good choice on my part or not remains to be seen. Sounded good at the time. I am looking into installing TPMS but I feel I may be voiding my warranty. I have an email out to multi seal, waiting to hear back. Has anyone had the same experience.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougherzog View Post
Thanks alot. Will Mercedes do this or what tire type place do I go to? Any warranty issues. Again, your respond is great. Doug.
You buy the valve stems and then find a tire dealer to install them. My local Discount Tire did mine for me. The tires do not need to be removed, simply jacked up, the bead broken, stem installed, and the tire reinflated.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
When I purchased my RV in June they talked me into having Multi Seal installed in the tires. Whether that was a good choice on my part or not remains to be seen. Sounded good at the time. I am looking into installing TPMS but I feel I may be voiding my warranty. I have an email out to multi seal, waiting to hear back. Has anyone had the same experience.
Which warranty? Coach - no, tire warranty (your Multi Seal probably violated that one), or the Multi Seal warranty?
Old 10-26-2019, 04:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thank you. I paid Mercedes to install the extenders and metal valves. Except they used rubber extenders on front and I need the rubber grommets where the extenders go thru the hub cap with the 18 or so 1 1/4 inch holes. Where can I get these rubber grommets? I can't find a Borg site. Thanks again. Doug
Old 10-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Try ShinyRV.com. They carry Borg valve stems and the related parts.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Try ShinyRV.com. They carry Borg valve stems and the related parts.
Thank you very much. I did contact and order the steel valves as you suggested, gave them to my auto repair guy, he installed them, put the sensors on the right tires, and all works great. This subject has ended for me. FYI, going to Mercedes to install the valves, valve extensions, and the tire pressure sensors, was a big mistake. Thanks again, Doug.