Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Towing a car

Hello,

I have a 2015 Minnie Winnie 22R. It has an E-350 and GVWR 11,500. The GAWR is FRT 4600 and RR 7800. Interested in possibly towing a small car. My questions are 1) what’s the best tow assembly to get and 2) what are some good cars to tow with my camper. Appreciate any help. Thanks
Beanmanaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We’ve used Blue Ox tow bars and mounting plates without issues for almost 15 years and tow a 2011 Honda CR-V behind our 2019 22M with the E350 chassis with no issues. The car weighs around 3200lbs.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You need to know the GCWR of your rig, which is the total of your LOADED motorhome PLUS the weight of the towed car.

Also, you need to know the tow rating of the motorhome.

With these two in mind, it will help narrow what you can tow.
ptronus31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Then finding a car is up to you... new? or used?

Will this be a daily driver, etc.

When we first got a Class C we bought a used Fiat 500 with a manual transmission. It became our 3ed car and only to be used as a Toad not a daily driver. It was inexpensive, easy to tow and fun to drive - at first. After a year or two we tired of having 3 cars and insuring them etc. Plus when driven more than a few miles the fun was replaced by how small the car was.

So, we sold the Fiat and my daily driver and bought a brand new car that could be flat towed and that's been my daily car ever since. We now have towed my 2016 Lincoln MKX for over 50,000 miles and it's been good. The car's odometer shows 50,000 miles now but that's because the miles when towing don't register. We have had to replace the tires at the usual mileages because the tires do wear just like being driven.

Fewer and fewer new cars are flat towable and when looking at older cars you'll need to do careful research to insure that the car is indeed flat towable. Don't guess and do not let a car sales person tell you that he knows the car he's selling is capable of being flat towed. Always check first before you buy.

You'll need a Baseplate installled on the Toad and a Towbar for between the RV and the Toad. There are two major brands, BlueOx and Roadmaster, and a couple of minor brands, too. I have always used BlueOx but the choice is yours.

You'll need a way to activate the rear lights on the Toad - you can wire into the existing wiring, add new lights or add removable magnetic lights. And, you'll need an auxiliary braking system to apply the toads brakes when the RV brakes. These vary by simple mechanical, portable electric and built in systems.

Plan on $400 to $600 for the baseplate PLUS installation of about the same amount. $600 to $900 for the towbar, $200 for lights and $600 to $1,200 for an auxiliary braking system. We hear of people paying between $2,500 and $4,000 for a complete setup and installation.

Sometimes you can find these items for sale used. I got my first towbar for $300 used on Craigslist. And I found a local installer that installed the baseplate and lights for 1/2 of what a shop would charge. I found a $600 Aux braking system on eBay for $300. So, you can get things cheaper.

There are good guides out there for chosing a vehicle to flat tow - the two most popular are Jeeps and Honda CRV (pre-2015 after 2014 they are not towable). Just search for Flat Towing guide and you'll find a number of them. For used cars be sure to look at older towing guides for your car's year of manufacture. You might get lucky and find a used car being sold all set up for flat towning ready to go. They are out there but not always near where you are.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

we tow a 13 Hyundai Elantra and it has proven to be a good tow vehicle light enough (less than 3000lb), has a good wheel base and width so it doesnt wander an dhas plenty of interior space so you are not crowded in and room for 2 extra passengers. It gets good mpg (have seen 40) has plenty of HP (140 direct injection). Back seat lays down if you need extra cargo space. Overall meets our needs. It is not a daily driver for us as it is our tow car and its only a DD occasionally. It stays in storage building with the rv and other vehicles my f350 and sons f150.

You dont say if limited to any trans but ours is a 6 speed manual as the autos can not be towed 4 down. As to tow accessories the guy we got the rv from gave us all he had purchased tow bar, accessories and the brake system. I bought the base plate from camp world when they had an install special ($35) thus I paid about 200$ more than I could have paid off internet, but the install price offset $$ for a 3d party to install with their prices running around $100/hr. CW would not install the brake set up so I did that myself, took a couple of hours no biggy

The car has as many tow miles as driven miles and is very capable in mountains or around towns.
I also have a ford ranger which I have plans to install a ladder rack so we can take a small boat to lakes with grand kids. I bought an invisibrake setup but was given a portable brake setup to use so I have the invisibrake system new in box for sale to help offset someones costs if interested.

SO anyhow yes many pieces can be gotten used off craigslist and stuff or even wrecking yards. I got the base plate for the ranger free from a guy on another website when he bought a new vehicle. again just havent gotten around to install yet.

you just need to determine your needs and capabilities in looking for a towed vehicle. Used prices have gone up greatly so you just need to look had. Our local craigslist had some used cars alreafy set up for towing so dont overlook that if needing to find one. Might give you and excuse for a trip if you find one?
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing