Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tow vehicles appropriate for an Winnebago Aspect or Itasca Cambria

I would like to know what owners of Winnebago Aspectz or Itasca Cambrias are using for tow vehicles and any recommendations that you may suggest regarding a tow vehicle for these units, and recommendations for braking. Thanks much.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am pulling a 2013 Ford Explorer. It's almost at the 5000 lb limit and probably heavier than I will buy again. I was pulling it with a diesel that I downsized out of.

That being said, I've pulled it about 1000 miles and it's OK......but I know it's back there. I have a Brake Buddy and so far have had no issues regarding stopping.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We are pulling a 2014 CRV behind our 30J Cambria.

Tows very well and have had no problems with it even in some hard stops. I do use a brake system.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We pull a 2013 Jeep Wrangler behind ours. Use a Ready Brute tow bar. Towed all over the place, no issues. We have a 2013 Itasca Cambria 27K.
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We pull a 2013 Fiat 500. Pulled it for 15,000 miles, and no problems.
Pkc303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Towing w/Cambria 26A...

We don't tow often, but when overwintering in FL from PA we tow our Toyota RAV4. Car weighs about 2800#, manual trans, 4WD & tows very well up to ~75 mph [when necessary]. Don't use or need aux braking system: rig stops well enough [even in panic situations!] without one. However, YMMV....
zooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We just purchased a 2014 Sonic LTZ hatchback automatic and have towed it behind our Cambria around a 1000 miles with no problems so far. It weighs less than 2800 pounds and I am getting an invisibrake system installed tomorrow. It is to meet the requirements of some states that have lower towing weight limits.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #8
JBP
Winnie-Wise

We tow a 2013 Lincoln MKX. We down sized from a class A. Just returned from Colorado and our 2015 Cambria 27K did fine. We have a Blue Ox tow bar and a Brake Buddy auxiliary braking system for the MKX. We started with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Very easy tow and no speed restrictions but very difficult for us to get in back seat. Not as flexible as I use to be. The weight of the MKX is close to the Wrangler. Jeep is much heavier than you would think. MKX has a 65 MPH speed limit on towing 4 down.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

2012 CRV....can't even tell its back there. BTW, new CRV's have new transmission and are not towable:(
Safe journeys...
Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Family Motor Coach publishes a yearly list of vehicles that you can tow and the restrictions on them. Motor Coach magazine does also.
Always look at your yellow tags on the inside drivers side. This will give you the limits on your coach. Once you get it loaded with water, fuel, and traveling items go to a scale and get it weighed. Then do the math to make sure that it is within limits.
I strongly recommend and auxiliary braking system. It is not the law in all states but it is a good idea. I believe that it has saved us at least twice in Ft Worth traffic on I 35.
I am also running a dash cam from Garmin. Not necessary but piece of mined. Also some great videos in the mountains on last trip. If you have a heavy foot maybe not a good idea. Also remember that it records the conversation in the cab. So if you are going to show the grand kids make sure that you review it first.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, tow, itasca