Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2022, 05:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tow question

Hi all!

Just purchased our very own and first travel trailer. We pick it up in a few weeks and I’m just making triple sure our 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 (standard box 6’6”) that doesn’t have the max trailering package, is able to tow my loaded micro minnie 2022 2100BH.

Dry weight is 3860
With water, and gear I’m expecting it to reach 4800-5000lbs.

For some odd reason there’s only a sticker in my door panel telling me my payload info (1676lbs) but does not provide me with my GVWR. I just assume my GVWR is 7100lbs but I’m not sure what my GCWR would be.

Any help is welcome! Let me know if you need any informationX
MKWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Look at the pillar between the the driver door and the rear passenger door when they are both open. Usually there are two gray stickers that give you all the info. Congrats on your new purchase!
Jokaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokaj View Post
Look at the pillar between the the driver door and the rear passenger door when they are both open. Usually there are two gray stickers that give you all the info. Congrats on your new purchase!
Thank you!

And yes I’ve looked there but there’s only one sticker displaying only payload info and tire pressure info. I even called into the dealership and the sales guy looked at my vehicle and told me I had 2800lbs payload… he was just making something up I believe
Old 04-09-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

That is strange. I have a 2021 Sierra also and I believe all have stickers on the pillar. I attached a picture of where mine is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCE37CFF-9F44-433A-8273-1C68A6F79AED.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	182451  
Jokaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:50 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Perhaps this guide from GMC has the info you need? When I was researching towing vehicles a couple years ago I was using guides like this, but I didn't look close at this one.

https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/gmc/...de_DIGITAL.pdf
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
That is strange. I have a 2021 Sierra also and I believe all have stickers on the pillar. I attached a picture of where mine is.
OMG TY!

I was checking at night and could not see those stickers because it was so dark.

THANK YOU!

It says my GVWR is 7100lbs. And GCWR is 15000 lbs

This should handle a 5000 lbs Micro Minnie 2100 BH right? I have the 5.3L V8 engine
Old 04-09-2022, 08:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Take a look at the conventional twr - that is how much you can tow. Max tongue weight is how much the trailer will put on your hitch. Most likely, you won't max any of those. Your payload is what will limit you first in most cases. Payload is everything your truck can carry and will include the tongue weight.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:21 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWT View Post
It says my GVWR is 7100lbs. And GCWR is 15000 lbs

This should handle a 5000 lbs Micro Minnie 2100 BH right? I have the 5.3L V8 engine
There are some good videos out there that cover this in detail. I think it's good you are assuming the trailer is maxed out. I assume the GVWR of the Micro Minnie is 5000 lbs since they went to the lighter axles -- there is a sticker on the driver's side that will say so.

The other thing is to take 10% or so tongue weight of that, 500 lbs, and assume it's loading on your hitch. Make sure you aren't adding too much to the truck. That's the GVWR of the truck minus the weight of the truck that should be on the sticker. You are adding 500 lbs, plus the weight of driver, passengers, cargo, etc. The main thing here is to learn how much cargo you can haul. It may not be much. You may already be over the number .

The only real way to settle it all is to run it all over a scale to see where you are at. With a 5000 lb GVWR on the trailer, I think you are going to find it's pretty easy to bring it up to that weight with all the liquids (including propane). With scale numbers you can also cross-check the front axle max and rear axle max which should be on your stickers. Again, the videos online are pretty good about laying this all out.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Take a look at the conventional twr - that is how much you can tow. Max tongue weight is how much the trailer will put on your hitch. Most likely, you won't max any of those. Your payload is what will limit you first in most cases. Payload is everything your truck can carry and will include the tongue weight.
Thank you!

conventional twr is 9000lbs
Payload is 1676lbs
Max tongue weight is 900lbs

And based on one of those online free excel templates I should have 239lbs payload left over and roughly 716lbs RV GVWR left over
Old 04-09-2022, 08:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
There are some good videos out there that cover this in detail. I think it's good you are assuming the trailer is maxed out. I assume the GVWR of the Micro Minnie is 5000 lbs since they went to the lighter axles -- there is a sticker on the driver's side that will say so.

The other thing is to take 10% or so tongue weight of that, 500 lbs, and assume it's loading on your hitch. Make sure you aren't adding too much to the truck. That's the GVWR of the truck minus the weight of the truck that should be on the sticker. You are adding 500 lbs, plus the weight of driver, passengers, cargo, etc. The main thing here is to learn how much cargo you can haul. It may not be much. You may already be over the number .

The only real way to settle it all is to run it all over a scale to see where you are at. With a 5000 lb GVWR on the trailer, I think you are going to find it's pretty easy to bring it up to that weight with all the liquids (including propane). With scale numbers you can also cross-check the front axle max and rear axle max which should be on your stickers. Again, the videos online are pretty good about laying this all out.
Thank you!! I appreciate the time you took to write all of this.

The GVWR is 5500 and multiplying it by the 0.125 I get 688 lbs tongue weight which I’ve added to my payload calculation. Says I’ll have 239lbs left over(this is just an estimate as I think I’ll have 400lbs passenger weight, and 350lbs of gear.

I think based on this, we should be alright
Old 04-09-2022, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on your new trailer.

Be safe and remember to use a weight distributing hitch. Know from experience that towing on a bumper hitch (or stinger) is not safe. We left our 16ft double axle trailer on it's side in the middle of Rt95 one Memorial Day weekend a long time ago. Saw the same thing happen a couple of years ago here in Fort Myers on Rt 75. Use a good Weight Distributing Hitch and have it set up properly and your trailer will be a pleasure to tow, ie NO White Knucle Trips.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodRob View Post
Congrats on your new trailer.

Be safe and remember to use a weight distributing hitch. Know from experience that towing on a bumper hitch (or stinger) is not safe. We left our 16ft double axle trailer on it's side in the middle of Rt95 one Memorial Day weekend a long time ago. Saw the same thing happen a couple of years ago here in Fort Myers on Rt 75. Use a good Weight Distributing Hitch and have it set up properly and your trailer will be a pleasure to tow, ie NO White Knucle Trips.
Sorry to hear!

Yes indeed. We purchased the blueox swaypro weight distributing hitch. I think it’ll do
Old 04-09-2022, 09:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I did a post a few months ago when I had my GMC Canyon towing my 2225RL. Take a look at it and it can give you an idea of what to expect. My problem was the payload and how easy it was to have a heavy the tongue weight. Moving items around will help but is a pain when you have a front pass through. Also, have your tongue weight about 12-15% of the total weight of the trailer. Your trailer is rated at 5500 lbs so your tongue weight should be between 660-825lbs.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...cs-363028.html
Old 04-09-2022, 09:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I did a post a few months ago when I had my GMC Canyon towing my 2225RL. Take a look at it and it can give you an idea of what to expect. My problem was the payload and how easy it was to have a heavy the tongue weight. Moving items around will help but is a pain when you have a front pass through. Also, have your tongue weight about 12-15% of the total weight of the trailer. Your trailer is rated at 5500 lbs so your tongue weight should be between 660-825lbs.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...cs-363028.html
Thanks for sharing! I just read through all the great info. I think I’m going to be upgrading to a 2500HD down the road just to be extra safe.

I used 12.5% as part of my calculation.

In terms of distributing the weight… I have more weight that I could shift to my MM instead of storing in the truck bed. Do you have any recommendations for that?
Old 04-09-2022, 09:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I use a Blue Ox with 750lb bars. I can easily exceed this rating which would force me to go to the next level which is 1000 lb rating. I have heard good things about the anderson hitch. Check them out. The manual indicates you don't need a WDH for less than 7000 lbs but the sway control is what makes the drive nicer. As for weight, you will need to load and then measure to see where you will be at. With the Canyon, i moved everything into the MM as my payload is about 200lbs less than yours. I would recommend a CAT scale if you are near one. They have an app and it is really easy to use.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I agree with Jokaj, a WDH with sway control will make a huge difference in terms of handling and safety.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWT View Post
Thanks for sharing! I just read through all the great info. I think I’m going to be upgrading to a 2500HD down the road just to be extra safe.

I used 12.5% as part of my calculation.

In terms of distributing the weight… I have more weight that I could shift to my MM instead of storing in the truck bed. Do you have any recommendations for that?
You shouldn’t be too concerned. Going to a 3/4 ton is overkill for a micro Minnie. I’m running 600 lbs of tongue weight on mine, and my payload is only 1340 lbs, towing with a mid-size comfortably. it’s just the dw and me; no kids. But we do have to be careful to put only lightweight gear in the bed, and heavier stuff in the pass through. By CAT scaling, we found that 1lb in the truck bed = 2/3 of a lb in the pass through for weight distribution (measuring drive axle). So, the generator, and griddle go in the pass thru, and extra water in reliant jug under the dinette. Weight under the dinette is directly over the axles, making for neutral distribution. But, not too much that you may damage the slide when extending/retracting. This is how we stay under Rear GAWR limit. The other thing to do is adjust your WDH and torsion bars to limit squat to 2” or less, moving some weight to steer axle. but don’t unweight too much or the tow can get a bit squiggly.

Everybody is slightly different, so if you have kids and lots of gear, you’ll have to load your trailer to keep tongue weight near 12% of tt GVWR. The larger Micro Minnie’s tow very well with that ratio.

Tags
tow