Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 04:06 PM   #1
Rnh
Winnebago Camper

TOAD assistance

Just purchased a new Minnie 26a. Plan to tow our Mini Cooper. We have all the Roadmaster parts and pieces to set up our Mini and our Mini. My dumb question is this: once we are hooked up and running down the road how do we keep the car going straight? Steering column does not lock. Do we need to rig something to keep the steering wheel from turning? I imagine looking like someone trying to walk shitsu on a leash with my Mini trying to go sideways.
Rnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

nothing need on the steering wheel. It will pull like an old hay wagon. The rear wheels will follow your MH and the steering will float to the least resistance.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #3

“Float” and particularly “haywagon?” Please, Tucson, speak English!
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You will need nothing for the steering on the Mini. Definitely do not lock the steering! The car will naturally want to go straight. It will follow you through turns, no problem. The natural tendency of a towed vehicle is to go straight ahead.
Do not attempt to back up! Can't be done, the steering on the Mini (or any toad) will crab off and bind in a very short distance.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
Rnh
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for the info!

Thanks to all for the much needed info!
Rnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I should mention that some cars - like my 2013 SMART require that the steering wheel be "tensed" by a bungee cord that will hold the wheel in the straight ahead position.

If the bungee is there, the steering wheels turn appropriately. If it's not there they will oscillate back and forth lock-to-lock. A very bad thing. I've been told it has something to do with the wheel base length. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Conversely you don't want the bungee cord if you don't need it.

I suggest the first time you tow it, do so in a large empty parking lot with someone in the drivers seat with a live telephone call going on to the motorhome driver. A few low speed passes with turns through the parking lot should be enough to build confidence the car will tow without any additional help.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad