Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ticking Noise from under V10 Doghouse

I thought I had this solved until I saw someone else had the same situation on a different forum and no one had my answer. My 2018 Winnie E350 V10 with 4000 miles has consistently had this ticking, or tapping noise coming from under the doghouse. Usually on acceleration or when my toad is attached. It almost sounds like a valve tick or rattling when you use the wrong octane gasoline. Since I had it at a Ford Dealer anyway I asked the mechanic about it and he immediately said OH, that's just your injectors and it's normal. Well, no one on this other forum had that answer, so I'm wondering if the mechanic was just blowing me off not wanting to pursue my problem or is this really a common noise that I don't have to be concerned with. I have yet to step up and use a high octane fuel to see if this helps because the mechanic said it's common and who wants to pay even more for fuel? Wonder how many others have experienced this and if it needs further attention? Thanks
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

This discussion may help;

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-63989.html
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Might be worth the price of higher octane to see if it makes it go away. Would rule out one possibility.The Jayco Forums are excellent and another place to air problems.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I wouldn’t expect it with such low miles but it’s possibly an exhaust leak or exhaust manifold crack.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #5
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Under load, I'd go with a low octane "ping" noise. The computer is supposed to compensate for octane variance but it has limitations. Go for an upgrade in gas next time you are towing to see if that is the cause. If you need to run higher octane, you likely have a faulty sensor that is keeping the computer from correctly adjusting the timing for the octane in use. I've used 85 octane out west with no problems, except lower pulling power on hills, no knocks.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had my doghouse off and was driving and had that noise and it turned out to be a doughnut in my exhaust manifold now no noise
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Exhaust manifold leak, or Y-pipe gasket (donut).

Sometimes they just aren't tightened enough at the factory. I'd get them to fix it before it gets any worse. Don't take their BS answer. You cannot hear injector rattle or predetonation with the doghouse cover on.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I'm hoping my problem is solved. This noise sounded just like a spark knock. It was a rattling noise whenever the engine was under a load, either going up a hill or picking up speed. After taking it to the Ford Truck Dealer in Fayetteville, N.C. and being told it was my injectors and don't worry its normal, I took it to the Ford Dealer in Conway, S.C. Well, it turns out it was actually a loose belt. I wasn't able to speak to the mechanic himself when I picked it up, but the paperwork said that they replaced it and the drive 45 minutes home was finally NOISE FREE! I was told that they had seen this problem before, so just a heads up if anyone experiences this on their V10, check out the belts! THANK YOU CONWAY S.C. FORD!
Old 11-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I had the same thing. Thought spark knock too.
Took local mechanic For a ride And told him about this thread. Replaced the serpentine belt. Quieter than ever!
Thanks!!
jeffremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Glad that helped. Unfortunately my ticking returned within 300 miles so the dealer subsequently replaced the tensioning pully as well. This seems to be a widespread problem although Ford won’t admit it. I started a case with Ford Corporate and they acted surprised however it’s been all over the internet for years. Best of luck.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the update Tony.
At least it’s good to know that it’s not a internal engine problem. About to put her to bed for the winter.

Cheers
Jeff
jeffremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

v10 new mechanicaltick

have v10 started a ticking but louder than ignition, coming from front of right hand bank, started after 4 days 2400 mile run as we were working it hard up and down hills outside pheonix, dp i bring it to rv or ford repair, i have extended warranty
Karl Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:26 PM   #13
Site Team

I would guess it’s an exhaust leak. That’s not an uncommon issue. Usually caused by an exhaust gasket problem. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos of folks fixing this issue. It could be other issues, but the gasket would be the first thing I’d have checked.

I think I’ve heard it can lead to worse problems eventually... over time.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:23 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I would guess it’s an exhaust leak. That’s not an uncommon issue. Usually caused by an exhaust gasket problem. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos of folks fixing this issue. It could be other issues, but the gasket would be the first thing I’d have checked.

I think I’ve heard it can lead to worse problems eventually... over time.
Absolutely. Any exhaust heat leaking by a gasket, will actually degrade the header, where it needs to be replaced. I’ve had this happen more than once on vehicles I worked on.

Act fast, if that’s your issue, agreed.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Hmmm, one of those automotive stethescopes might be useful for finding noises like that. I never thought about having one of those but now I just might get one.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

v10 new mechanical tick

thanks will head to harbor freight and get stethoscope, how then will i tell difference between exhaust and say rocker issue? would a ford trained tech be able to tell?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #17
Site Team

Do a Google search for "ticking sound from Ford V10 engine under load" you'll find hundreds of Exhaust leak/manifold responses. That doesn't absolutely mean that this is guaranteed to be your problem. It's just the common problem seen hundreds of times.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

A distinct difference in my ticking is it is not an under load issue, happens all rpm including idle
Old 01-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #19
Site Team

Oh, OK. I thought you said it was under load. That was the OP of this thread when he posted two years ago.

Just a helpful hint - when posting about your problem like this it's best to start a new thread rather than tag on to a similar thread from 2-years ago. It helps us keep the details straight.

Tags
noise, v10