Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Theford china toilet

Has anyone replaced the plastic toilet in their class C? Theford has some low profile china toilets that look like they would be a great upgrade to Winnebago's plastic bowls.
cptrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just tried replacing my aqua magic(plastic) with the same style, but porcelain. Unfortunately the male intake threads were deformed, and I was unable to make the swap. Fortunately I was able to send it back to Amazon. The biggest issue I have is that there is too much wobble. This is due to only having two points of fixation, and the toilet being composed of two separate components that can't be tightened. My hope is the heavier porcelain will be more stable. I've already have had to repair the floor mount brackets. I'm at a loss on how to make it more stable without overtightening. I'm curious if others have had issues.
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I did it in my 06 View. It is a nice upgrade. Much easier to keep clean
ForestF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

What model did you use? I'm looking at the #42063. Low profile, almond.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Not in a C, but I did it in both a 25' TT and my 35' Class A. I went for the high profile model, easier for my aging body to get up and down. It's much more robust, easier to keep clean, etc. I'd be prepared for some hose length, routing and/or fitting modification. I'd never go back to plastic.

The key part is to make absolutely sure that the location of the mounting flange will allow for the installation.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I used model #4209. It's the porcelain version of the one I already had. Definitely consider high profile. It's a huge difference. My base is already elevated so I can still get away with a low profile. What BobC said is important. Make sure your flange is in the same orientation, and you have enough hose length. Give Thetford a call. They were very helpful, and walked me thru exactly what I needed.
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I'm not an expert in this area, but it may be helpful to know your RV make/model/year. Also, you may be able to research what an "upgraded" model uses, if available, for a porcelain toilet and go from there. Minor plumbing changes may also be necessary. Good luck.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Had a porcelain toilet in first Class-C. FR went plastic in 2015 probably to save $. Definitely preferred the porcelain.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

From Thetford

This is what the tech from Thetford said:"Thank you for the information. With going from the Aqua Magic V to the Style 2, you want to measure from the center of the flange to the back on the toilet. The V requires 7 5/8” while the Style 2 requires 9.5” between the center of the flange and the back wall. As long as you have that 9.5”, the Style 2 should fit."
Old 03-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My 2012 Navion M came with style 2 china toilet, the valve froze one night and with my rig being notoriously over weight, I decided to replace it with the plastic hi-boy rather than repair the Style 2 which is less than 1/2 the weight.

A year later the water input fitting of the plastic unit froze and cracked. The fitting was not replaceable without replacing the entire plastic base. I found that the spool valve from the plastic unit fit the china unit so repaired and reinstalled the china unit. Both units were hi-boys, comparing the chine vs plastic:

Plastic - doesn't weight as much as china.
Plastic - is noisier that china, china is very quiet
Plastic - much harder to clean than china, with water in the bowl for long storage periods algae and hard water stains the plastic, not the china

Only the bowl is china, not the base, I can't recall if the bowls are interchangeable, I believe a china bowl can be mounted on a plastic hi-boy base with the same 4 bolts and the flexible hose from the base to the bowl remains unchanged. The water in the bowl is never under pressure, all the valves are in the base.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford