Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

The shortage continues, at least here

Nothing very new here. I have seen all of the comments about how RV dealer's lots are full of RVs, but we returned from one of the State Parks this weekend and found ourselves in Tucson, AZ. While there we decided to visit a large RV dealer and go to a local RV Show put on by another large dealer. We were (sort of) looking for a new C but were astonished at what we found.

First - This is a very large dealership with a service and parts department that takes up an entire city block and a sales area that is much, much larger, and they had 3 'C's on their lot. 3, and one of those was a well used RV that was not even in decent shape. 2019 gasser with 60,000 miles and an interior that looked like it had been really, really used.

Second - We drove out to the Pima County Fairgrounds which was hosting the RV Show. The sales guy who talked me into going told me that they were bringing in RVs from all around, so it was worth seeing. Ha! I don't remember the exact count of 'C's but it was either 4 or 5 and at least 2 of those were used. In fact the entire "RV Show" was kind of a sad exhibit. There were perhaps 15 or more 'A's running from $120,000 to $350,000, a lot of 5th wheels and hardly any 'C's.

So there may be a bunch of 'C's around somewhere, but not around where we live in southern Arizona. And the sales guy said he thought the shortage would last for another 2 years. I can't see that happening, but then I did not see this drought of RVs either.

In the end I am just really glad that we bought our Fuse when we did. It is in great shape, got about 17 mph on our trip while towing our Honda Fit on a dolly and we are planning our next trip. If we had not bought when we did I don't know that we could have gotten much of anything for a reasonable price.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

C coaches are in short supply because that is the entry level motorhome for new buyers who want to get out and travel by MH. As and Bs not so much. How long the shortage will last is anyone's guess.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Mike, I can tell you are talking about Lazy Days and La Mesa in Tucson. When we were there in Jan/Feb Lazy Days had a nearly empty storage lot. Less than 10 total RVs. Plus they had brought in some brands we’d never heard of just to have something to sell.

La Mesa does that “RV Show” thing at the Fair Ground 3 or 4 times a year (in a non COVID year). All they do is bring out a bunch of their inventory from the dealership and all of their sales people. It’s free to get in because there’s not much to see there. Some times they will get a brand rep or two to be there to feature a model or two, but that’s about it. When we were there it seemed that they were stocking lots of Class Bs and lower end Class As.

I think David is right about Class Cs being a sweet spot price wise for new buyers. It sure seems to be true for Winnebago and I’d assume other brands as well.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Mike, I can tell you are talking about Lazy Days and La Mesa in Tucson. When we were there in Jan/Feb Lazy Days had a nearly empty storage lot. Less than 10 total RVs. Plus they had brought in some brands we’d never heard of just to have something to sell.

La Mesa does that “RV Show” thing at the Fair Ground 3 or 4 times a year (in a non COVID year). All they do is bring out a bunch of their inventory from the dealership and all of their sales people. It’s free to get in because there’s not much to see there. Some times they will get a brand rep or two to be there to feature a model or two, but that’s about it. When we were there it seemed that they were stocking lots of Class Bs and lower end Class As.

I think David is right about Class Cs being a sweet spot price wise for new buyers. It sure seems to be true for Winnebago and I’d assume other brands as well.
DW and I had been looking for something that would allow us to camp without having to extend a slide because we have had problems when boondocking this last year. The winds often started the slide topper over the bedroom slide flapping so badly that we had to put the slide in and then had no decent place to sleep. But we are looking for a small 'C' and since the only choices that seem to fit our needs are both hard to find and exorbitantly expensive we will just find some way to make do with what we have.

I had some hopes for the new Ekko 24C but, of course, that is now gone.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Vita 24P

We just got back from a 21day 6kmiles trip thru Southwest, weird not a lot of C class on the road or at camp grounds. Love our Vita on sprinter chassis, when Crackerbarrel camping we just sleep in overhead and dinette. So glad we bought before the Pandemic, great price and many have sold for more than they paid for them.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
Site Team

Mike here's a tip for high winds billowing the slide topper. Now, full disclosure I haven't tried this but have seen others do it. Pull 50 to 100 feet of rope out of your storage bay and throw it over the topper (lengthwise of course) then tie the two ends under your slide. This keeps the topper from billowing as much and making noise in the RV.

Here's a video of a guy that adds some beach balls to the process and just uses string to tie it all down:

I know some others stuff heavy blankets in the ends of the slide/slide topper to keep the wind from blowing through as well.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Mike here's a tip for high winds billowing the slide topper. Now, full disclosure I haven't tried this but have seen others do it. Pull 50 to 100 feet of rope out of your storage bay and throw it over the topper (lengthwise of course) then tie the two ends under your slide. This keeps the topper from billowing as much and making noise in the RV.

Here's a video of a guy that adds some beach balls to the process and just uses string to tie it all down:

I know some others stuff heavy blankets in the ends of the slide/slide topper to keep the wind from blowing through as well.
Thanks for the link.

The idea seems pretty good since the beach balls would help make sure the string does not stretch the slide topper material, but since we don't carry a ladder with us (we have no place to put it in our Fuse) I will see how to do this using only the string.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Here is a link to some from the tucson craigs list. Unless you need to buy from a dealer there are some here that may be what you are looking for? Includes some from the east la area (phoenix):

https://tucson.craigslist.org/search...eyor-input=all
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Thanks for the link.

The idea seems pretty good since the beach balls would help make sure the string does not stretch the slide topper material, but since we don't carry a ladder with us (we have no place to put it in our Fuse) I will see how to do this using only the string.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.
So right about string or rope. Way back when we were in Corpus Christi area the winds were 45 mph and gusting higher. What I did was get a 4 inch wide strap, folded the ends to a triangle and put grommets in the ends. The strap extended about 2 feet down the side of the topper on each end. I tied a rope to the grommet and put in two ground stakes that had springs in them so that there would be a little play in the line by just taking out the slack.

Worked well and never tore the topper.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Downsized from A to C, our third RV, I think many people like myself are looking to simply RV life and not have slides, jacks, stairs and huge payments.
Santee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Just give it a year or two. There will be a boatload of very slightly used RV's for sale. The new will wear off real quick the first time they get a whiff of their own sewer hose!
When they realize the battle of even getting a place to camp, or there's something that needs fixing or it will be months before it can get in a shop or tweaking every time they use it, month after month of payments that could go towards a new endeavor, they'll be selling.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Just give it a year or two. There will be a boatload of very slightly used RV's for sale. The new will wear off real quick the first time they get a whiff of their own sewer hose!
When they realize the battle of even getting a place to camp, or there's something that needs fixing or it will be months before it can get in a shop or tweaking every time they use it, month after month of payments that could go towards a new endeavor, they'll be selling.

I keep reading about how full the reservations are for this summer. As a future RVer waiting for all the current nonsense to die down, I hope that this accelerates the RV selling next year. When people get to their weekend away at a jammed campground, it will be anything but "getting away from it all" experience.
tomwi is offline   Reply With Quote